Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Recently bought 1997 SC400 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 01:27 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently bought 1997 SC400 overheating

Hello anyone please help

I recently bought my sc and on the 11th day of driving i ended up getting my car towed due to over heating.which now it will start but i hear a strange engine noise like thudding or cluttering.but i digress.

About the car from what ive noticed:
1.doesnt seem to be full power when i accelerated, maybe spark plugs or injectors i was thinking ( im no car expert )
2. Well thats about it as far as engine related specs..

This is very stupid of me but, to begin i was banging a chick while the car was running with ac blasting pretty high in the back seat. So i dont know how long it was hot for but anyways. Maybe 15 minutes or so go by and when we are done i smelled the overheat and gauge was in the red.

I let car cool down for about 30 minutes tried to start but ,couldn't get it firing. So i tried to push it into towing position, then i tried to start it one more time, and it cranked. So driving down the block praying ots not a head gasket or worse, car start overheating pretty quickly. Get a fewiles down and pull over and get it towed.

Now, car will start but engine keeps making noise and when i rev engine noise adapts to reving, sort a say..

So what do yall think?

If anyone is out there please hit me up mann i would really appreciate it!
Old 07-04-16, 02:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Record the noise and post a video of it so we can hear how it sounds. That will help us out in diagnosing what if any damage may have been caused by the engine overheating.
Old 07-04-16, 02:07 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
Record the noise and post a video of it so we can hear how it sounds. That will help us out in diagnosing what if any damage may have been caused by the engine overheating.
Will do in a few seconds my friend
Old 07-04-16, 02:47 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

The acceleration problem may be one or more of your three transmission solenoids. They may need to be replaced. The overheating could be a water pump issue, or bad hoses. These are just stabs in the dark though. Have you checked under the hood yet?
Old 07-04-16, 02:49 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the story.

Just goes to show you that sometimes a hotel room IS cheaper.
Old 07-04-16, 02:50 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCbyDRD
The acceleration problem may be one or more of your three transmission solenoids. They may need to be replaced. The overheating could be a water pump issue, or bad hoses. These are just stabs in the dark though. Have you checked under the hood yet?
Yeah it drives and starts, i dont see any coolant leaking as it remains in the reservoir. Car is still overheating though and light thudding sound continues.. i have a youtube video uploading as we speak though should bw done in 30
Old 07-04-16, 02:52 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Love the story.

Just goes to show you that sometimes a hotel room IS cheaper.
Pshhhh i know mannn, terrible situation
Old 07-04-16, 03:03 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fresco95
Yeah it drives and starts, i dont see any coolant leaking as it remains in the reservoir. Car is still overheating though and light thudding sound continues.. i have a youtube video uploading as we speak though should bw done in 30
Cool. Will check it out. Either way, sure someone on here will figure it out. Whatever it is, hope it's not an engine knock...
Old 07-04-16, 03:39 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Alright fellas here is the link to video of engine sound that im having, check it out and lemme know what ya think.

https://youtu.be/1xjos80PSVE
Old 07-04-16, 03:41 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Cool. Will check it out. Either way, sure someone on here will figure it out. Whatever it is, hope it's not an engine knock...
Appreciate it man, but i know bro im already coming off a jetta that diarrhea'd on me 😂 but any ways heres the link bro https://youtu.be/1xjos80PSVE
Old 07-04-16, 03:50 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

Overheating: Could be a failing thermostat... "Still, a failing thermostat is not the only cause for an abnormal engine operating temperature. Other reasons include low coolant level, a bad water pump, a worn out or loose water pump belt, cooling system leaks, a clogged radiator, a failed radiator fan and a collapsed radiator hose."

Could also be a problem with your vacuum-controlled EGR valve.

Last edited by SCbyDRD; 07-04-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 04:01 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Overheating: Could be a failing thermostat... "Still, a failing thermostat is not the only cause for an abnormal engine operating temperature. Other reasons include low coolant level, a bad water pump, a worn out or loose water pump belt, cooling system leaks, a clogged radiator, a failed radiator fan and a collapsed radiator hose."
But do you think that any of those problems could result to that thudding sound? I would think (car novice btw) that that sound would be some sort of knocking would be happening with the internal engine components . I just dont see how those parts you listed could contribute to that thudding but maybe im wrong. Anyways if you can school me otherwise,please educate me
Old 07-04-16, 04:08 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

Alright- watched the video. That gurgling sound is narley! Alright- here's what I found:

"What could cause a gurgling noise in the radiator in a Lexus SC300?
If the radiator is not full, air bubbles can go through the heater core and make a gurgling noise"

Let me know what it is when you find out... helps me figure things out when I come across a new problem.

-K
Old 07-04-16, 04:12 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fresco95
But do you think that any of those problems could result to that thudding sound? I would think (car novice btw) that that sound would be some sort of knocking would be happening with the internal engine components . I just dont see how those parts you listed could contribute to that thudding but maybe im wrong. Anyways if you can school me otherwise,please educate me
Not at all... Still learning myself. I didn't hear the knocking, but picked up a gurgle, which would seem to make more sense if your car is overheating. So, my guess is that it has to do with the thermostat or the radiator, or the water pump is sucking in air. But like I said, if your car is overheating, I'd start with the cooling components. When your car overheats, it can damage the engine. Also, if you don't use 91 octane gas, your SC can develop thudding sounds.
Old 07-04-16, 04:15 PM
Fresco95
Driver School Candidate

Not at all... Still learning myself. I didn't hear the knocking, but picked up a gurgle, which would seem to make more sense if your car is overheating. So, my guess is that it has to do with the thermostat or the radiator, or the water pump is sucking in air. But like I said, if your car is overheating, I'd start with the cooling components. When your car overheats, it can damage the engine. Also, if you don't use 91 octane gas, your SC can develop thudding sounds.
Truu, btw i meant no offense lol. But i guess ill start from there then, to bad everywheres closed today buut appreciate all the help dude. Forreal!

Quick Reply: Recently bought 1997 SC400 overheating