Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 door hinge repair kit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 05:29 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks KahnBB6. I'll reach out to him.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Not in the USA. In Australia. Member “Helieng” does the work there primarily on Z30 Soarers but it’s exactly the same for SC300/400’s.

Edit— here he is, only a few posts above. He’s the one to go to:

To my knowledge no one else restores Soarer/SC Z30 door hinges. You’d have to remove yours and send one or both to him. Or you could track down spares, buy those and send them to him for rebuilding for later installation once you get them back in the mail.

Edit: actually it sounds like he can also source Soarer hinges to send over depending on what he has available at the time of inquiry. Since the hinges are exactly the same for both cars it makes no difference if you use a hinge from either one for a given side. LHD and RHD hinges are the same for each physical location on the cars.
Old 04-07-19, 08:30 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've rebuilt a few sets of hinges. It was not easy pulling pins and the needle bearings were destroyed. Pins were destroyed on a couple. I doubt any generic kit will work unless it has replacement bushings/bearings and pins. You'll probably need a welder to get the pins out. I welded a nut onto the top of the pin to get a puller on.

While I was doing a set for my car, I did two extra sets.

Bronze bushings, grease grooves, grease fittings.

I'm selling the extra hinges (each) for $250 US + shipping.

Most folks replace worn hinges with less worn hinges from a scrapped car. The moving parts of the factory hinges cannot be lubed. You can spray lube all over the exterior of the hinge if it makes you feel better but it won't get into the bearings/pins.
Old 04-08-19, 01:21 AM
Helieng
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Moogie Boogie,

As has been mentioned, I have been reconditioning the SC300/400 and series 30 Soarer hinges for over ten years. They are the same hinge but are handed LH and RH. Even the colour codes are the same, just the colour names different.

With my hinges all bearings are replaced with new items, even the fixed link bushes that are riveted to the hinge, so new pins there as well and new ball bearing on the detent plate. If the fixed link bushes aren’t replaced, this is the main reason that the front of the door hits the rear edge of the front fender, removing paint and in some cases denting thr fender/door.
Small oilers that we use on helicopters are used to grease the main bushes, they are very neat and don’t look out of place.
There is considerable machining involved with all bushes reamed for perfect fit.

Finally hinges are painted to original colours in two pack Glasurit paint.

For overseas customers, because of shipping costs, I sell the hinge outright, meaning that the core does not have to be returned. I also include an installation sheet with instructions for the fitting of the hinge.

If you require more information, feel free to email me at ddemarte@bigpond.net.au