Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 08:55 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped the pan from the transmission and flushed the unit this weekend with gadgetSC. The '98-00 SC300's have the A341E transmission, this is the same as the Supra TT and is very robust for a factory unit. Mine unfortunately, was shifting like Staypuff Marshmallow Man. Me and gadg (ok, once again he did like all the work, thx again brother) ran the unit with the line emptying into a drain receptacle and flushed several quarts through it, then filled it up with fresh T-IV. The procedure the manual states is basically a nice way of contaminating fresh fluid, we both agreed this was not thorough enough. While we had the pan down we took some time to evaluate the differences between the A340E and A341E, the differences in the valve bodies are essentially different strategies for controlling line pressure....the 340 uses a TV cable while the 341 is electronic and therefore has no accomodation for manual adjustment of the unit's line pressure. A shift kit of sorts has been worked out and i'll report back on it's effectiveness, basically if i'm able to make the 1-2 shift under boost then it's working . The cog for gear selection is also different because of the gated shifter. Note that there is no aftermarket equivalent for T-IV, they've been unable to duplicate the formulation and Toyota isn't too big on releasing it, so we wiped out the pan and magnets, backflushed the filter (there was no particulate matter within) and filled it up (very clean in there, more than I thought it would be...well ok the car's only a couple years old). The fluid looked older but didn't smell burnt, regardless after we changed it the difference was apparent before we reached the end of the block, smooth as butter, but now kicking down on cue, and going into gear more solidly. Pictures are enclosed.

Also, the Silver Bullet is now at JBE Racing.....head should be off in another day or two, trying to get the car done before he leaves for SEMA...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-a341e-pan.jpg  
Old 10-14-03, 08:57 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

There are some differences in the filters of the two automatics as well...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-a341e-pan-and-filter-4.jpg  
Old 10-14-03, 08:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

More updates and pics of the work @ JBE will be posted as they're done, once again thx to my man gadg...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-a341e-pan-and-filter-5.jpg  
Old 10-14-03, 09:17 PM
racing fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see your project started.... Got any pics of the passenger side of the trans? I'm wondering if the linkage is like the older ge one or like the gte.... Also is the output of the trans the 4 bolt plate taht connects to teh driveshaft?
Old 10-15-03, 01:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Zohair, i'll try to get some pics for you when it's up on the lift. The last parts I need should be here by Friday....Trust e-Manage w/ support tool, ignition and injector harnesses, press sensor and harness, an O2 simulator for the 3rd oxygen sensor on the OBDII, and my plugs. Then it's all up to JBE as far as how long the labour will take. By the way, he had a sort of 'private screening' for me and gadget and a couple other guys last nite....one vid was of him on his bike. It's a ZX9 frame with a GSXR1000 motor. He then custom fabbed a turbo setup for it.....i'm a skeptic and looking at this bike had me like whoah....carbon fibre framerail sections, intercooler under the seat, just sick. He's got a camera mounted just under the windscreen, pointed a little above the triple-tree. So me and gadg are watching the vid, and this thing is just bouncing the front tyre off the ground well into triple digits...he grabs fourth and the thing yanks the front up again (yes, fourth).....but get this, it's at night and he's going over the bridge by Jones Beach (locals will know where I mean).......over a bridge at night on a turbo'd 9-10 and he stayed into it........we watched that speedo climb........205 mph. I turned to him with that crazy look in my eye and knew this was the guy I wanted tuning my car, found someone with more b@lls than me...

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-27-03 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-17-03, 12:30 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Why start out with the greddy emange when you are going to upgrade it later on? Just start out with the aem and be done with it.

-Steve
Old 10-17-03, 01:22 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by AzLex
Why start out with the greddy emange when you are going to upgrade it later on? Just start out with the aem and be done with it.

-Steve

At this level there's almost no difference in how much power i'll produce with the e-Manage compared to the AEM (still a full 16x16 fuel and spark), so I figured i'd save myself the grand and put it towards something more usefull, such as fitting my body kit. Also, it doesn't look like the plug and play will work for me, i'd have to use the race ECU and wire it same as a full standalone.....that's a bunch of time just wiring up the crank trigger alone, not to mention fabbing a whole harness and all the other labour involved. JBE assures me I will hit my power goals with the e-Man same as I would have with a standalone, which we had originally planned on going with (i.e. Autronic SMC or SM2). Next season may hold a bunch of changes in store, but for now I wish to get it running and successfully dyno my goals for low and hi boost, and drive it every single day to work. Heading over there now to see if the head is buttoned-up yet.
Old 10-17-03, 08:56 PM
T51R
Pole Position

hey john if you need help on yourtunning with e-mannage .. we have a dyno pack and come with me for package deal.

hey I am driving my car to work everyday and take it to anywhere I need to go with my car.... daily driver is the key.

well let me know if you need any help .. you know my number
Old 10-19-03, 01:24 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by T51R
hey I am driving my car to work everyday and take it to anywhere I need to go with my car.... daily driver is the key.
Exactly, glad we understand each other. I'll definitely hit you up if we run into any snags in tuning that e-Manage, I don't expect any though. Your SC came out perfect, I wouldn't change a single thing, much respect brother.
Old 10-19-03, 01:29 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Some cars @ JBE Racing

Thought i'd show you guys a couple of the other cars at JBE right now.

This one's a Sentra SE-R with SR20DE-T swap, built motor, TE37's, everything custom fabbed for this vehicle by JBE. Over 500 rwhp from two litres...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-sentra-se-r-sr20de-t-volk-te37.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-19-03 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 01:34 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's one of JB's cars, daily driver turbo'd Passat, suspension all redone, Sparcos, Hamanns, etc...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-jb-s-turbo-d-passat.jpg  
Old 10-19-03, 01:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

This one will make you think twice (especially if you don't notice the cage), it's owned by JB also....turbocharged VVT-i Lexus V8 in the back, boys and girls. He'd prefer I don't post a pic of the setup or describe it to you, but rest assured it is siiick.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-jb-s-rear-engine-lexus-vvt-i-v8-turbo.jpg  
Old 10-19-03, 01:49 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Celica 6spd turbo, everything including manifold fabbed by JBE. I dig the Anthracite Speed Star Type C's...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-celica-6spd-turbo-in-progress-ssr-competitions.jpg  
Old 10-19-03, 01:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

GN under wraps...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-gn.jpg  
Old 10-19-03, 01:53 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Another VW project...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-dan-s-green-car.jpg