Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 05:29 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Alex's Quicksilver Supra (down your way, the car built by Lujan) ran 9.9 at a buck thirty seven with VVT-i
I never said you can't go fast with vvti. In fact I already said it's a high performance engine that they lower performance on for driveability/reliability/economy reasons, but up high it's back to normal full power. I don't think he ran a 9.9 on the car by staying under 5000rpms. (or whatever the vvti switchover point)

Nothing in my post said it make the car's abilities worse. Only below the changeover.

SR

edit: Go to How Stuff Works and ask What is VTEC? Here's an excerpt.

"If high speed operation is all we have to worry about, Honda wouldn't need to implement VTEC. Indeed, race engines that operate mostly at high rpms do not utilize any mechanism like VTEC. But street cars used for daily driving spend most of their time with the engine at low RPMs. Valves that open wide for high RPM operation contributes to rough operation and poor fuel economy at low RPMs. These undesirable traits are directly against Honda's design goals."

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 10-21-03 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 06:27 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Steven, VVT-i is not VTEC. This is not a Honda, there are differences, do me a favor and go a couple pages back to read our discussion on this. As we explained the variable valve timing will help produce more torque, rev the motor quicker, increase volumetric efficiency......basically allow me to run a larger turbo than I normally would....call Lance Ho Lung and ask him, he'll concur 100%. Larry Prebis also feels it'll run awesome, so does Dusty Womack, so does JBE Racing, I can go on and on.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-22-03 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 08:13 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

lex: keep up the good work on your motor! post more pix soon!

Last edited by kaotiq; 11-24-03 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 07:15 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I must admit I'm laughing at Jon's last post, but I also see the potential for a big flareup here. I dunno what it is, but I see a lot of flaming going on here lately- must be the crappy change of weather thats got everyone down.
Just remember guys, we're the vets here, we need to behave even more so than the newbs.
In summary, take a deep breath gentlemen....

Can't we all just get along

I love you guys
Old 10-21-03, 08:39 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww, c'mon Tim...

That's no fun.
Old 10-21-03, 08:50 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

My car, my rules.

SR

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 10-22-03 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-22-03, 08:32 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default UPDATE TIME

Here's an update for you guys:
Yesterday the oil feed and return lines were done, header bolted up, and turbo fitted. We were relieved the SP header mated up with the VVT-i head, since i'm the first guy doing the SP setup on this head...me and Lar were only 98% sure it would bolt up. Now you guys know for sure. The oil supply for the turbo was unfortunately not really tapped...it looked more like a thread chase, so the turbo's coming off today to have that re-tapped so the threads fully engage. The -10 return line was also too long so that will be trimmed today. Looking at the turbo and header mounted to the block finally gave me a sense that this project will actually see fruition some time soon. JBE also picked up injector clips for me. The plan for today (in addition to doing the two things above) is to remove the bumper and get the intercooler mounted and relocate whatever is necessary (coolant tank, PS lines, etc), then start fabbing IC piping and maybe put the downpipe in after we weld a 2nd bung on for the wideband (have to be carefull not to bugger up the ceramic coating). I'm very happy with the progress so far, and feel there's actually a chance of having this done before they leave for SEMA, but i'm prepared for the extra two weeks if that doesn't happen. We're getting there. I'll have more pics up pretty soon.
Old 10-22-03, 09:01 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

What's your ETA for finishing up the car?

VSsc400 and I are running each other in spring. It would be pretty cool to have you and gadget there too.
Old 10-22-03, 10:32 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: UPDATE TIME

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Here's an update for you guys:
Yesterday the oil feed and return lines were done, header bolted up, and turbo fitted. We were relieved the SP header mated up with the VVT-i head, since i'm the first guy doing the SP setup on this head...me and Lar were only 98% sure it would bolt up. Now you guys know for sure. The oil supply for the turbo was unfortunately not really tapped...it looked more like a thread chase, so the turbo's coming off today to have that re-tapped so the threads fully engage. The -10 return line was also too long so that will be trimmed today. Looking at the turbo and header mounted to the block finally gave me a sense that this project will actually see fruition some time soon. JBE also picked up injector clips for me. The plan for today (in addition to doing the two things above) is to remove the bumper and get the intercooler mounted and relocate whatever is necessary (coolant tank, PS lines, etc), then start fabbing IC piping and maybe put the downpipe in after we weld a 2nd bung on for the wideband (have to be carefull not to bugger up the ceramic coating). I'm very happy with the progress so far, and feel there's actually a chance of having this done before they leave for SEMA, but i'm prepared for the extra two weeks if that doesn't happen. We're getting there. I'll have more pics up pretty soon.
Sounds like things are really speeding up right now.
Old 10-22-03, 12:06 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

more pics!!
Old 10-22-03, 02:44 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 5speed300
more pics!!
Yes more pics!! I want the whole gallery of it posted on here!

SR
Old 10-22-03, 04:49 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Lex....Your car is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it when its done.
Old 10-22-03, 09:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Thx guys, your support is much appreciated, here's a couple pics as promised....

SP header
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-sp-header-2.jpg  
Old 10-22-03, 09:21 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SP63 .81A/R 4" inlet, polished and ceramic-coated as are the other parts
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-sp63-1.jpg  
Old 10-22-03, 09:24 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's a decent shot of the exhaust housing, downpipe (note flex section), etc
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-sp-3in-downpipe-ceramic-coated-note-flex-section.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63