Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 07:57 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. While I may not be much help .. if you need anything, feel free to ask
Old 05-15-03, 12:28 AM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Originally posted by Ebanks
When I had the 63 on my car is was the 3", but it would fit a 4" without the distributor in the way. Aren't the vvti motors distributorless from the factory? If so it would fit no problem.

Congrats Jon, have fun with it... If I am lucky some day I can have fun with mine too!

-Ethan

Ooooo....forgot your VVTi...well that's good, I hope it all works out well. And yes, it's on! Here's a recent pic of my car

Performance Factory Header with Swain Tech heat coating

Should be gettin the wastegate sometime this week....but everything after my finals

Last edited by TRDSupraSE; 05-15-03 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 07:17 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sammy, nice, good shot of the PF header, more tests for you? You better make some serious bank for all the hard work you're putting in. Nick, thx, we'll talk soon, can you tell me when you begin to build boost, and @ what rpm you're fully spooled by? I'm sure the stick vs automatic will affect it a bit, but I want to know if i've calculated it correctly.
- Jon
Old 05-15-03, 10:44 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Weekend might work, maybe Sun? Gimme a ring. Far as the tranny, this automatic shifts like crap as it is (compared to my SC4 at least), i'll have to build up the unit at some point, but i'd really love to swap in a Getrag, i'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I plan to spend some time trying to firm up my shifts, lots of little tricks that can be done, i'll tell you about it when I see you.
Old 05-15-03, 01:23 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Nick, thx, we'll talk soon, can you tell me when you begin to build boost, and @ what rpm you're fully spooled by? I'm sure the stick vs automatic will affect it a bit, but I want to know if i've calculated it correctly.
The turbo begins making pressure at around 3,000 RPM ... FULL boost at around 4,200 RPM ... it looks like full boost a bit earlier than that, but you don't get the "slammed-into-the-seat-and-can't-move" feeling until 4,200 RPM ... so that is where I say it is full boost
Old 05-15-03, 02:08 PM
T51R
Pole Position

ahhh I did not know the john is getting turboed on his car.....

hmmmm hey john it would be fun race with my lex VS yours.... hehehehe cant wait..

call me sometime....
Old 05-15-03, 06:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Angel
"slammed-into-the-seat-and-can't-move"
Wurd...

Scott, I think i'll take a pass on that one , but I plan to drive down to see you, maybe end of summer, we'll see.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 05-15-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 07:52 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

do you have to do anything special because your car is vvt-i? I don`t mean to sound ignorant, but I just don`t know.
Old 05-16-03, 12:34 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I hope you have some money set aside because you will cross it sooner than you may think!

-Ethan
Old 05-16-03, 06:53 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Eth, you're so right, that's why I plan to dyno @ 15psi, then turn off the EBC and run off the'gate spring until the auto is built up or I swap in a Getrag, but to be honest, no, the money is not put aside, got engaged a couple months ago and shouldn't have even budgeted what I did for this, if I was smart I would have forgone the ten grand in multimedia and bodykit to finish the drivetrain properly, but it was my own way of forcing myself to run low boost for now, so that I can preserve the drivetrain as well as the short block. Still knuckleheaded though, I just couldn't help myself . boreguy, yeah, the VVT-i won't work with a VPC or many of the other options available to the NA-T guys, i'm basically forced into doing the Haltech/DIS4 combo, but haven't ordered them yet since the bills for parts are still pouring in .....
Old 05-16-03, 11:26 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

The new aem software says vvt compatiable check with them haven't had a chance to call they broke into my house so trying to find out everything that was taken .

Last edited by Dew23; 05-16-03 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-16-03, 11:45 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear 'bout the break-in, hope your insurance does the right thing (as if that ever happens). Still considering the AEM, but haven't confirmed that the actual plugs at the ECU are the same, plus my guy has much experience tuning an E6K on the dyno with a Motec wideband, we'll see...
Old 05-24-03, 10:48 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Lex i you should have some news on your mirrors soon the person is out of the country for a while but your order is in .
Old 05-27-03, 12:09 AM
racing fan
Driver

Sorry to hear 'bout the break-in, hope your insurance does the right thing (as if that ever happens). Still considering the AEM, but haven't confirmed that the actual plugs at the ECU are the same, plus my guy has much experience tuning an E6K on the dyno with a Motec wideband, we'll see...
I'm pretty sure yoru car has the same multiplex ecu system that is300s have.....it sucks ***!! You cannot run the aem as the plugs are way different and you can't run a vpc because of the multiple ecus...I hope your guy is familiar with hte units, is extremely smart, and handy cuz wiriing and tuning will not be a piece of cake. So far toyomoto and phr have been the only people to figure out the mutliplex ecu.

And at 15psi on a sp63 you would kill a stock tranny VERY FAST

Good luck though
Old 05-27-03, 09:01 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Not a single person has been able to confirm for me that the car is definitely multiplex, but i'm hoping it won't be a major problem. I would be very screwed if it turned out Lance was the only one clever enough to wire up an E6K to a multiplex car, but with all the Haltech installs my guy has done, I have no choice but to go on faith. Anyone know for sure?

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63