Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 08:19 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus doorstop...expensive but works great...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-compressed-2jz-ge-block-hole-in-right-side-highlighted.jpg  
Old 02-26-04, 08:22 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Lexus paperweight.....
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-compressed-2jz-ge-broken-piston-and-rod-6.jpg  
Old 02-26-04, 09:44 AM
William N.
Pole Position

Whoaa!!!

Last edited by William N.; 02-26-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 09:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally posted by tt1520
Damn!!!
Old 02-26-04, 11:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that is a lot of damage!!
Old 02-27-04, 09:57 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Kay...time for some good news.
Turns out I was sent low impedance injectors, not steamed @ SP even though it cost me a few grand when the GE went lean, honest mistake and Lar / Garry / Ivan are still the best in my book. TT resistor pack will be going in next week (Scott, what can I say bro ) and we can finally tune for boost.
- Jon
Old 02-27-04, 11:41 PM
PHiZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Kay...time for some good news.
Turns out I was sent low impedance injectors, not steamed @ SP even though it cost me a few grand when the GE went lean, honest mistake and Lar / Garry / Ivan are still the best in my book. TT resistor pack will be going in next week (Scott, what can I say bro ) and we can finally tune for boost.
- Jon
so what happens in a situation like this? I'll save a few choice remarks, until I gauge your response.
-PHiZ
Old 02-28-04, 06:05 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Jon, good to see you back, cant wait to get a ride in it!!
Old 02-28-04, 11:37 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Were you guys monitoring A/Fs with a wideband when the piston departed the vehicle? Just curious... Wrong injectors, you'd think they would malfunction in a linear manner... Perhaps the ECU held closed loop under boost until you hit that point where it decided to go open loop which immediately caused a lean condition??? Jon, do you have a wideband 02 installed?
Old 02-28-04, 04:05 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHiZ
so what happens in a situation like this? I'll save a few choice remarks, until I gauge your response.
-PHiZ
Gauging my response is tough, my temper is more like a light switch...anyone that knows me can tell you. In this case though it's all bueno, project got more involved than I meant it to but in the end it's faster so i'm not complaining.
D...better wear a diaper.
Scott, Motec WB was in for tuning and we were datalogging as well, didn't react fast enough to show a lean condition. Did show we were spooling quicker than we expected though. Piston never departed, continued towards TDC and bent the valves, left a nice trail of iron and aluminum behind the car though, I should show you a pic of the oil pan repair. Sounded like a shotgun went off man.
Old 02-28-04, 07:44 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

It seems like the tuner should accept some responsibility... Especially given that his job is to safely tune the car, which generally means obtaining stable (conservative) boost and stable A/F before gradually turning up the wick. I'd be looking for compensation. A civil court would look kindly upon your case unless you signed some sort of waiver.
Old 02-28-04, 09:47 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC300T
It seems like the tuner should accept some responsibility... Especially given that his job is to safely tune the car, which generally means obtaining stable (conservative) boost and stable A/F before gradually turning up the wick. I'd be looking for compensation. A civil court would look kindly upon your case unless you signed some sort of waiver.

I would have to agree with Scott on this one
Old 02-29-04, 04:24 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think SP should take some responsibility along with the tuner!
Old 02-29-04, 11:35 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Guys...don't worry about me, that situation's been more than handled. I was more upset by a CL member who was helping out and abandoned ship when things got tough. Hoping to have the resistor pack wired up and some low boost tuning done by the middle of the week. Gazi...how's your's? We'll have to get the locals together soon for some tuning runs, would really like to rent out Atco for a night if that's doable.
Old 02-29-04, 12:16 PM
PHiZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SC300T
I disagree completely on this one. Perhaps if it was a builder/tuner, yes, I know for one I will be checking the part numbers on any injectors from this day forward.

However, the tuner really only has your word to go on, as far as what state the engine is in. And I can imagine the Injector Drivers in the ecu operating the Peak And Hold's at lower duty cycle. So you appear to be running fine, good A/F ratios, but then you go for a pull, and the Injector drivers can't supply the demanded current, at the higher duty cycles.

Tuner's should be getting indemnity forms signed anyways. If SP-performance didn't step up and make things right, I could see a negligence suit being filed.
-PHiZ

Sorry LL, I can see we're kinda jacking the thread.

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63