Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 05:29 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, that's no good -- I feel for you man. Anyone else notice that those pics are either of custom bikes or older VWs? You guys see anything there remotely as complicated as a VVT-i 2JZG(T)E?

Too bad JBE didn't take the time to make your car unbelievable, becuase the SC300 is getting some press. The number of shops making kits has gone from two (Fmax, toyomoto) in 2001 to at least four (turbonetics, toyomoto, boost-logic, sound performance) in 2004. This was a great chance for JBE to paint itself in an excellent light and get a great rep and possibly a customer base on CL.

...but putting custom skylights in an engine called "bulletproof" doesn't put the black cloud over the car -- it's over the tuner.

I've got a friend with an IS300, he installed his own turbo kit... in his garage. Took a super-wicked-huge pair of brass ones, but he did it.

With 17 years of experiance, you'd think your JBE could match a 23-25 year old building up his first 2JZ.

Well, I guess lesson learned. Take your SC to a company that's got at least a 10 second supra (SP01, SP02 ) or SC in house... unless you want someone telling you the 2JZ block is prone to mechanical failure.

Good luck with your baby John, and sorry to hear about your heartache.

John T
Old 04-15-04, 05:44 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It hurts me to read all of this. Brings back bad memories of my first MR2 Turbo. I am sorry for you Lex Luther, it should not be this way.
Old 04-16-04, 10:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess JB had nothing further, 'nuff said.

SP now has the car....I have total confidence in them, another new TT short block from Toyota and a few other items will be arriving there in a couple days, i'll be glad to have this finally completed.

Nick, you're right, it shouldn't.

John, thanks (by the way Lar's Supra is a 9.0 car driven to the track w/ AC on).

Jeff, thx man.

Scott, being a friend....you have to take my side 100% of the time .
Old 04-17-04, 05:52 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
...Scott, being a friend....you have to take my side 100% of the time .
Jon,... *always* your friend. Didn't mean to offend you; just trying to be peacemaker more than a defender of the other guy's work. Plus, I don't remember all the details.

In general (maybe not in this case), good friends *can* speak their minds and offer objectivity rather than feeding words the other person justs wants to hear.

-scott
Old 04-17-04, 09:44 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I'd have to agree with you there Scott.
Old 05-04-04, 01:31 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

This'll freak you guys out.
Got a call today from Larry....he informed me that the motor that was in there was not a tt block, it was a replacement vvt-i block. Strange as that may be, this helps explain why it blew, the vvt-i rods are weak sauce compared to the tt units. Now i'm dealing with Toyota, we're trying to figure out how I ended up with a GE block, the tt part number was ordered and the invoice has it clearly on there. The new block I received from them was ordered under the same part part number and from the same dealer and is definitely a tt block. Waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime SP is moving along well, the old block is out, they're just waiting for the head to get back from the machine shop to drop in the new motor and tune it. Strange or what?
Old 05-04-04, 02:02 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ill submit this to Guiness "New York Jon, the only person in the world to have blown every cylinder in a 2JZ "
Old 05-04-04, 03:00 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a call today from Larry....he informed me that the motor that was in there was not a tt block, it was a replacement vvt-i block. Strange as that may be, this helps explain why it blew, the vvt-i rods are weak sauce compared to the tt units. Now i'm dealing with Toyota, we're trying to figure out how I ended up with a GE block, the tt part number was ordered and the invoice has it clearly on there. The new block I received from them was ordered under the same part part number and from the same dealer and is definitely a tt block. Waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime SP is moving along well, the old block is out, they're just waiting for the head to get back from the machine shop to drop in the new motor and tune it. Strange or what?
Hey Jon,

I'll be able to stop by this week and snap some pictures of your car for you. Can you let Larry know ahead of time about this?

Chris
Old 05-04-04, 07:05 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duh, duh, duh (with eery music in background)- The saga continues.......
Old 05-05-04, 01:32 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, LL, after everything you have been trough it will take a lot to freak us out man!!!
Old 05-05-04, 12:15 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie
LOL, LL, after everything you have been trough it will take a lot to freak us out man!!!

Yeah well I can't take anymore drama, the decision to build this car was one of the worst I have ever made, but maybe it will work out in the end, we'll see how Lar works his magic.
Old 05-05-04, 01:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah well I can't take anymore drama, the decision to build this car was one of the worst I have ever made, but maybe it will work out in the end, we'll see how Lar works his magic.
I can imagine your stress level is a bit higher then normal after all the bad things that have happened in the past.
I am sure sound performance will build you a reliable beast.
Old 05-05-04, 02:01 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon, I stopped by SP today, while I was there said hello to your car She's doing A-OK.
Lar showed me your block, and all I can say is
The car is in some EXTREMELY capable hands
Hope everything goes better this time around.

Chris
Old 05-06-04, 08:04 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by quikturbo
Lar showed me your block, and all I can say is

Yeah, you see what I mean, showered an entire city block with engine fragments. Thanks for the good thought Chris, I know Lar will do me right.
Old 05-26-04, 03:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's a couple pics from SP, thx Spaniard and Chris...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-sp-engine-out-1-compressed.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63