Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 11:49 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an update, considering Autronic engine mgt, body kit is in, all the Alpine is in, brakes are in, electronics, FMIC, BOV, and 'gate are in, still waiting for some parts from SP, but should be able to start the install at the end of July. Rear components are in, and we're building enclosures for the front components as I type this, close fit with a 6 3/4" mid compared to the 4" oe spkrs. Took some pics, should be able to start posting a few things soon, planning on 'glassing the sub enclosure next week, that should be fun , and my Volks should be here in a couple of days.
Old 06-09-03, 12:12 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

I really doubt the 98-00 ECUs are Multiplex. I can't see Toyota going through the R&D, cost, parts, etc to change the ECU setup for something that works just fine in a car that is basically at the end of it's product life cycle.
Old 07-19-03, 08:26 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's an update:
Almost everything I need has now arrived (except mgt/ign), turbo was backed up a bit because the guy that makes SP's turbos just got a nice juicy military contract. Long story short, we want to try an Autronic standalone, but it will take my tuner awhile to ditch his Motec wideband and set the dyno up with an Autronic analyzer, so i'm totally behind schedule. In the meantime, i'll try to post some pics of all the parts, have a room filled with turbo goodies, brakes, body kit parts, etc. I'm just bottoning up the Dolby 5.1 install, and i'm very happy with the results, played Gladiator for someone a couple days ago and he was actually ducking arrows . Still have to 'glass the sub enclosure though, but that's not a priority right now, i'm integrating the EBC and TT into the space below the DVD player in preparation for boost, and taking care of some other details, then it's just a matter of waiting to get it into the shop and start tappin' the block.
Old 07-19-03, 08:50 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels good. Don't it?
Old 07-19-03, 11:02 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

How long do you think it will take before you will be able to enjoy the beast?
Old 07-25-03, 07:02 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default sucker born..

sucker born every minute,
personally i think i've been born again enough already....

hmm if you were just after power a regular 2JZ-GTE would be much simpler to work with
VVT-i will not work with "ALMOST ALL" standalone engine managements..
Motec, Haltech, Autronic..
too many variables to deal with..
all the latest cars with these fancy variable cam/ignition timing have and new/different level of ECU to run things.. there are ALOT more factors/calculations involved. All needing to be done quickly

most people just disconnect the VVT-i and run it as a regular motor when goin after big power,
kinda defeats the purpose tho..
Old 07-25-03, 08:17 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

hmm if you were just after power a regular 2JZ-GTE would be much simpler to work with
how do you figure?
Old 07-25-03, 02:45 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default hmmm...

2JZ-GTE run as a regular motor, fuel/ignition maps will be much easier to set up
no fancy smancy variable head/cam stuff (extra variables in your equation for power)
Old 07-25-03, 03:54 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

If you get all things right, the vvti should add some torque low down with the turbo setup, right?

Aren't the V300 (98+) in japan useing a 2JZ-GTE with VVTI?
Old 07-25-03, 04:41 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

(extra variables in your equation for power)
yeah, I am starting to learn, the more variables, the more trouble things seem to have. But switching to a GTE is enough trouble alone to compensate for working with the vvt-i
Old 07-25-03, 10:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Re: sucker born..

Originally posted by JZS14SEVEN
sucker born every minute,
personally i think i've been born again enough already....

VVT-i will not work with "ALMOST ALL" standalone engine managements..
Motec, Haltech, Autronic..
too many variables to deal with..
all the latest cars with these fancy variable cam/ignition timing have and new/different level of ECU to run things.. there are ALOT more factors/calculations involved. All needing to be done quickly

most people just disconnect the VVT-i and run it as a regular motor when goin after big power,
kinda defeats the purpose tho..

Hmmm. Well, VVT-i is not something you can just 'disconnect' as you put it, you're talking about swapping the head. And how do you see it being simpler to swap over to a whole different motor and harness than to work with the existing drivetrain? Point is, VVT-i does work, it will add more torque down low, throttle response is better, and it does rev faster. It will allow me to run a larger turbo than I normally would, i'll still be able to road race if I want, using an SP63 .81 AR, and besides I like using the newest technology. Willie from Lujan motorsports clicked a hi nine with his '98 NA-T Quicksilver MKIV, the last year Supra (only year w/ VVT-i, and only on the NA) and this is the same drivetrain as mine came with. This was a street car, using Toyomoto's old cast iron log-style manifold, with sound system, and i'm told Willie is pushing 300lbs himself, so you do the math. The only limitation is the cams really, but hi nines isn't too slow, yes after that some choose to go to a non-VVT-i NA head. All those 'fancy shmancy' variables you speak of that the standalone units offer, well dude that's what helps you make the horsepower, it's called TUNING, look into it . You say VVT-i won't work with Haltech or Motec? Been done many times in the IS3, and that car's multiplex, much more complicated than mine. Ehhh, I don't know why I bother.....

Oh, and who you calling a sucker? I'll give you something to suck on .....
I'll control myself, but i'll guarantee that this sucker's VVT-i Turbo will open a can up on you.........

- LL
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-compressed-hks-and-alpine-7-24-03.jpg  
Old 07-26-03, 06:19 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default hhahahhaaa

its nice to see your turner keeps you informed as to what he wants to "try out" on your car...

i asked about VVTi before i got my 2JZ-GTE years ago.. (too many unacceptable unknown's)
Autronic was paid for years ago also..
DynoJet was paid for recently tho
so i guess you could say i "looked into tuning" before i even started the project.

the "fancy smancy variables" are what the standalone will have to contend with, NOT what it can do.
i know you can read better..

i'd be careful making guarentees..
you're gonna what?? open up a can of.... liquid schwartz!!!??

yada yada yada ... we all better watch out
Old 07-26-03, 08:18 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I guess these know it alls have not seen an IS300 with a turbo yet. JZS14SEVEN, don't get scared man. The Luther won't make the drive to HI just to put the smack down. I'm sure you can get a plane ticket to the East if you need to see though. VVT-i, SchmeeVT-i just another thing.
Old 07-26-03, 09:22 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Re: hhahahhaaa

awj, you hit it on the head, but i'll play along since i've got some time this morning....

Originally posted by JZS14SEVEN
its nice to see your turner keeps you informed as to what he wants to "try out" on your car...
We were originally going to use a Haltech E6K or E11, but since Haltech has pulled out of the states, we're going to try the Autronic, software was written by the same guy who did Motec, and dude you never get ahead of the pack without 'trying out' new things.

i asked about VVTi before i got my 2JZ-GTE years ago.. (too many unacceptable unknown's)
Like you said that was YEARS ago, when variable valve timing was a new technology, and i'm sorry you can't get past the unacceptable unknows, I welcome the challenge.

Autronic was paid for years ago also..
DynoJet was paid for recently tho
so i guess you could say i "looked into tuning" before i even started the project.
You're saying you're running an Autronic? SMC or SM2? And you've got a DynoJet at your facility, pretty hard to tune a standalone without one, what's the name of your shop? Oh, and most people look into tuning before starting their project, you don't get extra credit for that.

the "fancy smancy variables" are what the standalone will have to contend with, NOT what it can do.
i know you can read better...
Please explain to me what variables you're referring to, because most of the standalones will simply use an output to cycle the VVT-i solenoid, it's much more work to set up the crank trigger actually, but I want to see if you know what you're actually talking about or just 'ba-humbugging' for the hell of it, with no basis in fact. Prove me wrong.

i'd be careful making guarentees..
you're gonna what?? open up a can of.... liquid schwartz!!!??
How 'bout this, I guarantee I can spell better than you . I love a good debate, but you can put an end to this by posting some pics of your monster ride and your DynoJet facility. And I have no idea what liquid schwartz is dude....
- LL
Old 07-26-03, 02:45 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I hope this thread isn't going south anytime soon......

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63