Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 06:29 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gadgetSC
JS14......You should start your Own thread if you have something to say or show and not hijack this one.

gadgetSC-t
This is exactly what went through my mind when I read his post.

-Ethan
Old 08-13-03, 08:28 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gadgetSC
JS14......You should start your Own thread if you have something to say or show and not hijack this one.

I posted this for Jon because I know what he has and I just wanted some of the CL members to get a little taste of his setup. He is a Great person and has made numerous contributions to CL. He would bend over backwards for CL members.
I'm still trying to figure out your motivation for crashing this thread with you BS.
Please keep this thread about " SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63" Nuff Said?

gadgetSC-t

Ha.... i'm filling your thread with BS??
sorry to disappoint, no motivation... just constantly lookin for good idea's here & there..
definately NOT here tho... Minds were closed before i got here.

VTEC is for fuel efficiency.. hmmm which came first? chicken? or egg?
You don't need VTEC to make XX power with XX displacement @ XX RPM... you just need XX Cam profile which will allow you to flow XX air @ XX RPM to make XX power.. But what does VTEC allow you to do? It allows you to HAVE an agressive cam profile to flow enough to make power in the high rpm AND yet also HAVE a conservative cam profile to switch to for low rpm use all in one package.
Without VTEC or some kinda VariableCam system you're stuck with 1 cam profile to work with
(TODA VTEC killer camshafts anyone??)

VVTi is 1/2 a step up from T-VIS, its like T-VIS with a Variable Intake(only) cam profile...
or maybe thats exactly what it is..
Dual VANOS & Valvetronic is my flavor for headtrickery (sorta a BMW turned Toyota guy)
Old 08-14-03, 05:55 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics, i'll start with the multimedia install, here's a list of what went in so far:

- Alpine CVA-1006 6.5" mobile multimedia station
- Alpine DVA-5205 DVD/Video CD/ CD player
- Alpine CHA-1214 12-disc CD changer
- Alpine PXA-H510 multichannel digital signal processor with Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby 5.1 digital decoder, digital time correction, and digital parametric EQ
- Alpine SBS-0715 center channel speaker system
- Alpine SPR-176A Type R 6.75" aluminum cone component 2-way speaker system in doors
- Alpine SPR-176A Type R 6.75" aluminum cone component 2-way speaker system in rear deck
- Rockford Fosgate Punch 225.2 2-channel amplifier, 577 watts bridged
- Rockford Fosgate Punch g800a4 4-channel amplifier, 1002 amps bridged
- Rockford Fosgate Punch Link RFC-2210A
- Rockford Fosgate Connecting Punch throughout (RP1728 4AWG kit, RP1620 8AWG kit, RP7050 fuseblock, RP7085 distr block, 3 sets RP4380-500 twisted pair interconnects)
- Stinger SBT428PPT and SBT428NPT HPM-Series Platinum battery terminals, two SBTCOV3 terminal covers, SCB150 Pro Series 150a breaker, SCBCOV breaker cover
- Optima D34 Blue Top Marine Deep Cycle
- Plus the most thorough security system you could imagine, they'll have to hoist it out with a chopper if they want it

Here's a pic of the screen open, and the DVD player
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-cva-1006-screen-open.jpg  
Old 08-14-03, 06:00 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

This shot shows the center channel speaker atop the dash. I had wanted to flush-mount something, but didn't want to cut into the dash, so this will have to do for now. You can also see the SC430 Burled Walnut shifter I fitted, and some pieces of the L5 wood kit, which I had done in real Walnut Burlwood, normally all factory match kits for the newer SC's come in that Oxford Burl, which is synthetic (note how the woodgrain on the screen almost matches ).
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-sbs-0715-ctr-chan-also-note-how-wood-on-screen-almost-matches-sc430-shifter.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 08-14-03 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-14-03, 06:05 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's the controller for the Dolby Digital decoder, I mounted it here so I could swivel it w/ the center visor and make adjustments while driving. It will decode Dolby 5.1 Digital, Doby Pro Logic, and it will interpolate 2-chan stereo if need be, plus it has digital time correction and a digital parametric EQ. I'm still tuning it. You can also see the overhead wood trim from the L5 kit, and the Homelink which was part of the moonroof option on later years.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-pxa-h510-display-and-l5-wood-overhead-console-trim-also-note-homelink.jpg  
Old 08-14-03, 06:06 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

More to come, so no one post a reply yet pls, I want all the photos to be continuous....
Old 08-15-03, 07:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's the rack for the PXA-H510 processor, amp for the SBS-0715 ctr chan, and the CHA-1214 12-disc, made from alum and constructed in quick-disconnect fashion, it bolts up to the oe CD chgr studs in the body.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-cha-pxa-sbs-alum-rack.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 07:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's that rack installed, the changer was located to line up with the opening for the factory chgr, which is a smaller 6-disc on the later models, so some work was needed.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-rf-amps-install-7-14-03.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:13 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here it is with that panel on. The amps are the previous generation RF Punch, a 225.2 for sub and an 800a4 four-chan, the smaller one benched @ 577 watts bridged into 2ohms mono, the other made 1002 watts into a 2ohm mono load, with a Punch Link giving them that single amp look. They are the only 'older' components in the car (these amps were new 3 years ago), at some point i'll upgrade them to a digital Class D sub amp and a new 4-chan. The amp rack is constructed of alum and is made to be as light as possible, and disconnects from an alum bracket mounted behind the trunk panel, simply remove two nuts and it slides out. I soldered up molex plugs for all the speaker wire connections, etc, so it can be removed easily for some runs at the track. I had originally built a nice wrap-around amp rack with neon-lit Lexus logos, but in the end when I weighed it, it was just too heavy, so I scrapped that rack in favor of this simple one, function before form.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-rf-amps-alpine-cha-1214-cd-changer.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:17 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's a quick shot of the distribution being installed, also on an alum rack, it was located there for easy access to the fuses, just pull the flap up. Connecting Punch was used, they match the RF amps.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-rf-distribution-on-alum-rack.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:31 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's the front spkrs, I don't know anyone else that fit 6 3/4" components in the front and rear of these cars, baffles were constructed to fit the fronts and coated in and out with Cascade Quiet Kote. They are the newer-style Alpine Type R alum cone, they have a pretty good X-over, handle lots of power, and produce nice midbass, i'm pretty happy with them, if they ever get replaced it will be with something from Focal, Velodyne, Image Dynamics, or Diamond Audio, I like their products, but this was supposed to be all-Alpine, so that's how I went.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-spr-176a-components-front-loaded-into-baffle.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 08-15-03 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 08:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Here's the rears, same spkrs, Type R 6 3/4" components, I had to cut a decent amount of metal to fit them, but it was worth it, they're like having mini-subs in the rear deck, and produce enough to drown out the weak factory sub. Just enough Dynamat Xtreme was used to kill off any resonance without adding too much weight. I still have to 'glass up a sub enclosure, everything below the 150 Hz range is definitely lacking, but that probably won't get done for awhile, it's just not a priority right now, i'll get pics of that up when it's done.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-spr-176a-components-rear-left.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Inside shot of the rears, tweets are swiveled about 60 degrees off the deck to disperse the sound off the rear glass.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-spr-176a-components-rear-closeup.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:55 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

We call this the Alpine tower...
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-alpine-tower.jpg  
Old 08-15-03, 08:58 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Optima D34, the breaker is behind and to the left, but not really visible here.
Attached Thumbnails SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63-optima-with-stinger-terminals-covers.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63