Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-03, 06:23 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of things.
1.) I don`t know if you already stated this, but what standalone are you running.
2.) About the cupholder gauge, I had my boost gauge in there, and it was really a pain, it was almost impossible to look at it and drive at the same time. I can almost promise you that you will not like it other than the fact that you can hide it. You also lost your only reliable cupholder which kind of sucks. ok I am done analyzing now
3.) On the subject of TT headgaskets, is there a reason you are using two? If you search, theoretical calcs have shown that one TT h/g takes you to a good comp ratio, while two makes you a real low compression slug.
4.) On a side note the manifold is beautiflul, absolutely clean.
Old 08-16-03, 08:14 AM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by aliga
My jaws are touching the ground.
you have more then one jaw?

Looking great LL I can't wait for this beast to be on the street. I wish I had the cashflow to finish my car all in one sitting.

Congrats on having one the the coolest SC's EVER. mad props bro..
Old 08-16-03, 09:35 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with boredguy about the gauge... Mine is in front of the shifter, and its still next to impossible to see the boost, especially when you're trying to just keep the car straight and out of the rev-limiter.

Man what an impressive list of parts.... Did you take out a second mortgage or pimp yourself out on the corner for a month, you must be sore...

Last edited by SC300T; 08-16-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-16-03, 09:59 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

or pimp yourself out on the corner for a month, you must be sore...
ROFLMAO
Old 08-16-03, 10:23 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

This is what Jon should do for his gauges:

Old 08-16-03, 10:24 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome update!!!
Will you be installing everything all at once?
Old 08-16-03, 10:57 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

No doubt you will be very happy with the 63 setup... That was to original setup on my car and I loved it.

Congrats.

-Ethan
Old 08-16-03, 11:47 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Thx guys for your support.
5speed300 - looking to make over 500 rwhp, can't really get more specific yet, and cutting corners isn't in my nature, takes me forever to get things done.
aliga - thx Gazi, see you 'round the hood
octane and papa - thx, I was trying to attack every aspect, hope it lives up to your expectations
boredguy - 1) Autronic, same programmer as Motec, lots of great options and it interpolates a target A/F ratio for you if you use a Bosch WB O2 and their Autronic analyzer, ignition will be a DIS4 unit.
2) Didn't mind losing the cupholder since I don't really bring food/bev into the whip too much, I didn't expect that mounting location to be good ergonomically, I was a little more concerned w/ stealth, but to be honest that boost meter got slightly damaged on the bezel, so i'd like to replace it with a peak hold and warn unit, and that would negate the need to have your eyes on it all the time. I believe the EVC II may have an overboost warning as well, i'll check it out. Scott, if I was to cut the dash to 'glass in a pod for meters (and that does look like a perfect locale that you drew), I would rather put a nice ctr chan install there , worse comes to worse I can block off one center vent and build something there, i'll want a WB and EGT @ some point too, but I really don't want it to like like every damn ricemobile around here with a monster tach atop the dash and all that, just want to be able to quietly disgrace a worked M5.
3) Not sure what you consider a low compression slug , but Lar's calculations show two stacked TT gaskets to work out to 8.6:1, which is actually a tenth of a point above a stock TT's CR, basically exactly what i'm looking for. This is what Toyomoto does and sells as a Toyomoto head gasket. Even if it did work out to be a little lower, i'd rather have a safety margin since I intend to do a few dyno and track runs @ 19+ pounds, the MKIV guys are running as much as 22+ lbs, but they have the benefit of oil squirters for the pistons, believe me I try to work every little detail out before I commit to something. Lastly, the VVT-i will help VE which will help to build steam quicker (see a couple pages back), since the top two NA-T tuners in the country told me it will work i'll defer to their judgement.
4) word

Scott - Not sure how I did it, but I had been putting the money aside for the car and mods for awhile, and swore to myself I wouldn't make a single compromise, but now that i'm also planning a wedding that's already over the $50k mark, I definitely went a little crazy, better break out the fishnet stockings...

Richie - Yeah, whatever's not already in the car will be going in all @ once (other than the body kit), trying to get into the motor within the next few weeks.

Eth - Yeah bro, when you ran that 11.0 awhile back with the trans not wanting to 1-2 shift, i'd been watching the '63 since then.
Old 08-16-03, 12:26 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

everyone else gets a sentence, and I get a paragraph

since the top two NA-T tuners in the country told me it will work i'll defer to their judgement.
I guess that is a good motto to live with, unlike scott and I who try to make the most out of our 10:1

have you considered methanol yet? I believe this is my next step. Anyways looking good bro, seems like you have thought enough about it and planned ahead, can`t wait to see the product.
Old 08-16-03, 12:38 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor

3) Not sure what you consider a low compression slug , but Lar's calculations show two stacked TT gaskets to work out to 8.6:1, which is actually a tenth of a point above a stock TT's CR, basically exactly what i'm looking for. This is what Toyomoto does and sells as a Toyomoto head gasket. Even if it did work out to be a little lower, i'd rather have a safety margin since I intend to do a few dyno and track runs @ 19+ pounds, the MKIV guys are running as much as 22+ lbs, but they have the benefit of oil squirters for the pistons, believe me I try to work every little detail out before I commit to something. Lastly, the VVT-i will help VE which will help to build steam quicker (see a couple pages back), since the top two NA-T tuners in the country told me it will work i'll defer to their judgement.
Hmmm...Some other people had figured the single stock supra 1.3mm hg worked the compression to 8.8.. and a 3mm would be close to 8:1. Definetly do a compression check so we can compare numbers

Do you have the ecu pinout for the vvti engine? I'm interested in seeing if its the same as the older years and more importantly if it will accept the aem

good luck!
Old 08-17-03, 03:07 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

everything is great. but i never like RF amps

the only kit i would get on my sc, would be the one you got.. damn you im jealous heh

About the gauges, i would've got the Defi gauges. Because they would match the cluster perfectly.

i would also mount them on the edge of the clust/dash area.. blah, too hard to explain.

good luck.
Old 08-17-03, 04:46 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SC300T
This is what Jon should do for his gauges:

Is that a photoshop or a real dash? That is sweet... and very tempting.
Old 08-17-03, 05:39 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Im pretty sure its a photoshop. It looks like the skyline GTR dash
Old 08-17-03, 08:12 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good already boostbiscuit (loks like you might live up to that name afterall, eh? )

Anyway, keep us updated. I love your writeups with the attention to detail and how you explain everything.
When did the sc go distributorless?

Tim
Old 08-18-03, 01:54 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Im also wondering about the missing distributor. I really think it makes the engine bay look horrible especially when its hiding a turbo.

Quick Reply: SC300 VVT-i Turbo SP63