Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MOPAR Trans. Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 07:00 AM
1BigWhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool MOPAR Trans. Swap

Howdy, long story short i bought a sc400 recently and want to manual swap it. i am cheep so i want to use the parts laying around my farm. i have 3 4-speed hurst dog box trans. a couple bellhousings and some spare time. so i wanted to know if anyone has done it. iv searched and searched but found nothing on the fourms about this topic i see everyone sticking with jdm trans but i have not alot of cash and bought the car for $500 so not trying to turn it into a money pit. the chassis is perfect minus some bushings lol. but the auto in the car is JUNK and iv been dailying a 5 speed for 3 years and i love how it feels. OK got way off topic my bad. if anyone can help id like that, but if not then i will do it and post the tutorial
The following users liked this post:
moparDee70 (02-07-20)
Old 10-29-16, 07:18 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK, nobody's adapted a mopar transmission to the 1uz, nor xjz engines. Biggest issue is going to be getting a bellhousing sorted out, and the clutch disk mated to a flywheel and pressure plate.
one-off parts like you are talking about (bellhousing adapter, or custom bellhousing) are typically expensive, or not well done. 1/16th of an inch can easily lead to catastrophic failure.

Not trying to dissuade you, but why not sell the three transmissions, and get a good transmission, with an already established swap kit?
moparDee70 (02-07-20)
Old 10-30-16, 03:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ I agree with BenStoked. No one has ever adapted older Mopar 4-speeds to the engines our cars use.

1BigWhite, if you're looking to use them because of the V8 torque they were rated for I understand the general reasoning but it's still better to sell them or use them with the engines they were designed for. They're definitely worth something for Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth project owners since they will be period correct for those vehicles.

Since you don't want to spend a lot and you want to just get a manual transmission into your V8 SC400 the best bang for your buck is going to be finding a W58 5-speed. They're perfect for the stock power output of the 1UZ-FE engine and there is a lot of existing support with adapter kits already.

Source one from one of these cars:
1992-1994 SC300 (shift housing version similar to "top-loader" transmissions from the 60's)
1995-1997 SC300 ("Tripod" version)
1993.5-1997 MKIV Supra ("Tripod" version)

Avoid one from MKII or MKIII Supras. They are not as strong as the above listed W58's and are harder to swap over.

I am not sure if adapter kits are widely available but if you wanted to spend some more cash on the next beefy transmission option you *could* get an R154 5-speed but it really isn't needed if all you are going to do is leave your SC400 engine stock and convert to a manual to have a fun manual V8 Lexus.

On a side note what an awesome stash you've got there with three vintage Mopar manual transmissions!
moparDee70 (02-07-20)
Old 10-30-16, 07:10 AM
1BigWhite
Driver School Candidate

i got you guys, thanks for your input. again im cheep and have done such things before for some customers. (but it was chevy stuff) so i think im just gonna swap this old 440 and trans into it when my auto blows (pray for me that it will last till the spring) haha. this car is grate on corners and that surprised me iv been dailying a 3000gt vr4 total different ball park and upgrade parts are way more expensive due to only website supports them with the sc i feel theres way more parts. iv thought about taking the clutch disk from a mopar with the trans and bellhousing. flywheel pressure plate for the 1uz and cut the end off the auto bellhousing and turning it into the adapter plate for the trans swap beyond that is a piece of cake per-say unless theres some wiring to do haha. im just throwing the idea on the table. again thanks for the help.
moparDee70 (02-07-20)
Old 10-31-16, 02:44 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Love the 3000GT VR-4's. Heavy, very complicated and expensive to service but otherwise great cars.

Although if you have one of those you might want to give a highly boosted 2JZ SC with a manual transmission and LSD a try for the sake of comparison

I can't help you with specifics on how to adapt the 440 4-speed transmission (I still say just make it easier and find a W58) but if you're determined then by all means see if you can make it work. I assume that 4th is 1:1 or is that an overdrive?

For the manual pedals you can find those used or through Driftmotion. If you change your mind about the W58 the company I am aware of that makes adaptor kits is called 1uzfeswapkit aka Quantum Auto. Several readily available off the shelf Toyota parts are used in the conversion.

Also: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...er-option.html
moparDee70 (02-07-20)
Old 10-31-16, 09:15 AM
1BigWhite
Driver School Candidate

^ thanks mans that sounds like the plan haha. i just dropped a 440 4 speed in my 71 roadrunner, the old engines are so simple its crazy i can swap the drive train into any car that it will fit. just needs gas and a battery everything else is mechanical. ig. fuel pump, timing, spark, ect. the hardest is mounts and a drive shaft. im a little afraid of all the toyota tech in the car so thats why im leaning to the old school side. im planning for next years drift events around me so i want reliable TQ with the old big blocks.
Old 10-31-16, 09:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

they make 1uz flywheels, and the rest would be adapting the bellhousing at the right length if you can cut and weld the mopar and 1uz auto trans bellhousings together relatively straight it should work. I think mopar has a different bellhousing pattern then chevy otherwise I would say you can use an aftermarket bellhousing adapter, but thats probably just for the JZ and not the UZ. There really isn't any wiring to be done except bypass the neutral safety switch which is a couple of wires, and another 2 wires for the reverse switch if you feel the need to do that, and I guess the speed sensor is a couple more wires and maybe an adapter, everything else related to trans swap would be mechanical. you would be doing reverse switch and speed sensor even if you swap motors though.

Kahn he means a 440ci motor and the 4 speed, so it would be a straight drop in and hook up some fuel lines and a 12v for the ignition and bam its running, simple stuff.
I think the 1uz to manual trans would be better suited for the car and drifting, the weight of the big block might throw the balance off a little bit so look into different spring rates..
OR throw a turbo or supercharger on the 1uz and it will outperform the 440 at the end of the day, the 1uz has plenty of down low torque already for basic drifting, lots of drifters run this motor in light chassis cars, but I do get the simplicity of dropping a big block in there.

Also do consider that if you are talking about a carb'd 440, when drifting you may have fuel issues... I have thrown the vette around enough corners to know that if I go in too hot/sideways the carb will literally get starved of fuel and leave me without throttle for a proper exit, that is where the fuel injection comes in real handy. maybe there is a workaround but just something I noticed on my small block that is carb'd. good luck and post pics whichever route you go!!

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-31-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 04:08 PM
KahnBB6

Ali, I did think he meant bolting the 440 transmission directly to the 1UZ engine block. Thanks for pointing that out! My mistake.

1BigWhite, I think Ali makes a good point about possible fuel starvation with a carburetor when drifting. By now Holley must make a version of their fuel injected carb setup ("Eliminator" or "Dominator"?) for Mopar engines. Such popular engines I'd be surprised if they did not.

If your goal all along has been to swap in a 440 or even a 383 with that 4-speed manual then give it a go, definitely. FYI the fuel tank in the 1992-1997 SC300/400 is a return style system that is intended to use a fuel pressure regulator at the engine's fuel rail. Absent a fuel rail on a carbureted engine I'm not sure how that will work but surely it's been done. Fuel pump is accessed from inside the cabin by removing the rear seat cushions. You'll definitely need a higher flowing aftermarket fuel pump.
Old 11-01-16, 07:40 AM
1BigWhite
Driver School Candidate

sweet thanks for the info, i was gonna use a classic holly 850cfm double pumper witch will give me a lot of fuel. ^^^ heres a tip if your carb is getting starved then think about how much fuel you have in the tank and if your oil pick up if working to. i know on the track that a dry sump is the way to go cuz if your fuel is not getting picked up from the tank then the oil might not be either. and the fuel pumps on the old big blocks are mechanical and bolt to the block so all i need is a tank and 2 lines. ^ i do agree that the uz is way lighter and prob. better in everyway then the 440 excpt that the 70's mopar have high comp for NA set up and parts around chicago are cheep for muscle cars. i have 2 big block 440s one with a stage 3 comp cam i was gonna use in my 71 runner one that need to be rebuilt that i was gonna use for a drift car. i have 3 trans for mopars. also i have a 12.5 to 1 comp ratio 340 six pack that i was gonna use a twin turbskiy set up #1320. i got alot of old muscle haha old like 3 times my age old. my parents were mopar nuts. i also have a 1990 bmw 750il V12 that i was gonna turn into a BMO aka BMW elCmino. i got too many cars hahaha not near enough time. TBH i think i have a car from every part of the world excpt southern EU
Old 11-01-16, 03:56 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Having a 440 in a road runner myself, I say go for it! Except that the 440 is taller, longer, wider and much heavier than the 1UZ and there are likely no headers around for that setup. Cornering with carbs isn't a problem, the Trans-Am and Nascar guys solved all that.
Old 11-02-16, 06:15 AM
1BigWhite
Driver School Candidate

the cast direct connection manifold would fit i think id have to measure but in the 1971 Roadrunner the engine sits lower then the uz in the lexus crazy. mine is like 1 inch from the ground. granted that i have an extended oil pan for like 8 qts of oil. the reason the block is taller is that mopar has always had longer rods. makes the cars breath better lol. chevys and the uz have a short throw i can feel it at low rpm. so having a 440 with 400 tq and 375 hp would out perform even a blown uz due to the rapid reponce and extensive low end tq 400 tq at 3000 rpm and 375 hp at 5300 rpm. now i know everyone loves to smash there rev limiter, but iv worked on enough cars to know thats not good. you can set your rev limit lower but with the uz it only makes hp between 4500 and 7000. not trying to dis anyone with the uz but the way i drive i feel its better to have you wheels smoking at a lower rpm so you dont have an issue powering over to the next curve. im not an expert by far but dirt racing is in my blood and i want to take it up a notch next year at the drift events near the Chicago land area.
Old 02-07-20, 10:34 AM
moparDee70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for ideas for engine for my 70 charger

Looking at 1uz engine to put in my 1970 rt charger. My southern dodge charger was stolen and I got it back without motor /trans. Looking at newer engines. Need some input about putting 1uz . You can see my car deesmoparfund on facebook.
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Probably want a rear sump one from a SC400, get a whole donor sc400 if you can, engine trans ecu and wiring harnesses.
you can get them running pretty easy, but to wire up all the gauges etc.. takes a little more time. lots of info online.
I would imagine custom mounts at the very least. I think they also make an adapter for 1uz to a th400, but I don't think it shares the same pattern as the mopar stuff.
If you are not going much above stock power, the 1uz automatic is fine. I would go for the manual swap if your car was manual though, more work but more fun!