Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZFE Swap throwing a couple codes... need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 04:18 PM
xtahoex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1UZFE Swap throwing a couple codes... need help

Hey everyone...

I just swapped a 1UZFE from a 1994 SC400 into a classic Chevrolet truck. Everything is going well and I am about 95% done... however, I have a very odd problem. I did some searching and could not find anything.

I am throwing codes 21, 28, and 71. I bought a FSM from the Toyota TIS website. I have followed the procedure to check for the fault reasons. I am getting no voltage from my HTR1 and HTL1 wires in regards to the O2 issue and no voltage from the EGR wires 1-4 with the key on and no voltage at the EGR 6 pin connector either (that makes sense due to the lack of power at the ECU). I have verified my wiring and I have power and ground to the proper wires. The truck starts and runs although it's rough (due to the O2s I'm guessing). I cracked open the ECM to check for the dreaded leaking capacitors and found nothing. I'm pretty stumped. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,
Old 11-05-16, 05:52 PM
xtahoex
Driver School Candidate

Talked to LScowboyLS about my ECU. Did some further looking around in the ECU and I was told that the ECU is probably shot. I was expecting to see something catastrophic in there, but it actually looked ok minus some discoloring around the solder points for the caps...
Old 11-11-16, 03:17 PM
xtahoex
Driver School Candidate

I ended up by the proper capacitors and just changed them out on my original computer. No change. Still not getting voltage on HTL1 and HTR1 as well as EGR wires 1-4. On the advice of LScowboyLS I also purchased an additional ECU. I plugged that ECU in and got the same symptoms. Oddly enough I checked and I have voltage on the Sub 02 sensors (HTL2 and HTR2). I again verified all of my wiring, and it looks to be correct. Can someone please help? This makes absolutely no sense.

This isn't my first swap rodeo... but I have never had issues like this before.

Thanks,

Ryan