Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Going NA-T in 3 weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 09:22 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going NA-T in 3 weeks...

Hey guys...I have been on clublexus for a while now and have been reading up on turbocharging the SC300. I have learned a great deal from those people that have already gone turbo'ed or are in the process of becoming turbocharged. Well, I have been piecing my turbo kit and almost have everything I need to go NA-T. This is what I have now.

Turbonetics 60-1 Hi-Fi w/ .69 exhaust housing
turbo oil lines(feed and return)
Toyomoto cast iron exhaust manifold
SP 3" downpipe
Tial 38 mm wastegate
Supra TT sidemount intercooler w/ stock bov
Walbro Supra TT fuel pump
HKS AFR
MSD 6 BTM w/ blaster SS coil and tach adapter
Automatic transmission racing cooler
3800 Stall

I am still looking for some 440cc injectors for a good price and need to get the intercooler piping made whenever the turbo kit is installed. I am hoping for ~350-400 rwhp.

If there is anything else you guys can think of that I would need, please let me know.... I also want to thank all of you guys who have gone turbo for sharing your experiences and knowledge to clublexus.com

thanks
William
Old 05-19-03, 09:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Which PN tach adapter are you intending to use... 8910?
Old 05-19-03, 09:51 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Lex,

Yep...8910 is the one I have. Good luck with your setup...When are you getting your turbo kit installed?
Old 05-20-03, 07:37 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Thx, good luck with yours also, still waiting for parts to arrive, the goal is to have it done before it gets cold out.
Old 05-20-03, 10:07 AM
Single7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

William,

I think you forgot about headgasket. go with a bigger turbo!!!!!!!!!!!
That way you can over shoot the 350ish-400rwhp
Old 05-20-03, 08:48 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, get a bigger turbo and headgasket (and the extra $6k in upgrades you need to take advantage of a big turbo).

The 60-1 is good for well over 450rwhp depending on trim and A/Rs (theoretically around 540+rwhp maximum), not the 350-400rwhp mentioned. 350-400rwhp is sort of an introductory turbo kit type of power level that a 60-1 will achieve on around 10psi. A well tuned car with stock compression can run 12psi on stock compression as long as the timing and air fuel ratios are ok. The 60-1 runs out of gas at around 18-20psi, so its not a very good turbo for those wanting to lower compression to 8.5:1. Its just not enough turbo for 8.5:1. Its an excellent turbo for 10:1 or perhaps somewhere in between (2mm headgasket).

BTW the MSD part is 8910 EIS. There are several different versions of the 8910. The EIS is the version that worked for me. I have the regular version of the 8910--didn't work.
Old 05-20-03, 10:49 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Default SC300T...

SC300T( Scott) thanks for the information....Pretty much I wanted a similar setup like yours because it seemed like the setup that you have works very well. Thanks for all the information. I will be boosting at .8 bar because of the wastegate spring. I am still looking for some injectors so if anyone knows where I can find some good priced injectors, PLEASE let me know...

thanks
William
Old 05-21-03, 06:36 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

the setup that you have works very well.
---Except for stock SC300 differential with its one wheel drive...

Last edited by SC300T; 05-21-03 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 04:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, we both know Jeff ran an 11.9 with the 5spd and open rear, bite the bullet and get a DR or ET St, and i'm wondering how much impact on E.T. your hard to modulate/slip clutch is having, it's gotta be wrecking your takeoff, the short times are total poo-poo, plus the physical size limitations of the unit, you should be able to touch elevens on an open rear, i'd explore other clutch setups (don't wanna try that CM unit? Still got the RPS or no?), otherwise that Getrag is gonna have to find it's way in there, food and diapers for the bambino are over-rated anyways ....
Old 05-21-03, 07:44 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I'll just use the reciepts from parts purchases to diaper the baby, that should last her a couple years. You know the story about Jeff's 11.9 and what happened in the aftermath. I'm not ready for another tranny or shortblock that the Double diaphragm clutch destroyed. The wife is prepared for a TRD LSD this summer, and perhaps slicks. My current clutch setup is the ACT/ HPF disc combo. Once you heat it up, its o.k. I did get it to slip once, but that was at 18psi on the 3-4 shift (carried a little boost into the shift -oops). 18 pounds on race gas was probably worth around 550rwhp, so I can't really fault the clutch. My routine is to slip it on several dry hops just after the water box to heat it up. The water box never helped for street tires. After the slips, it usually bites off the line at 5000rpm, which is where I need to be for a good 60ft time. My main problem is AFTER the 60ft, and before the 1/8th. In this area, I'm able to put down 5psi in 1st and 10psi in 2nd. I'm giving up a few hundred rwhp in the 1st 1/8th of the track which is more than half the run.

Lex, do you know how cars behave on slicks with an open diff? Just curious. I may try the slicks before the LSD. Either way, I'd have to feather some shifts to avoid pulling a Clint.
Old 05-22-03, 09:58 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Never drove a car with an open rear on slicks, but I have driven cars on Quick Times and Sportsmans that ate up the spider gears in a posi and became one-leg, and an Auburn cone-style diff that ate up a cone on one side and became an open diff, and the behavior of the car didn't change too drastically when I continued to launch it (until it blew apart that is). I know guys that have run an open rear on slicks, not on an SC, but in my GN days many of my friends did it and ran 11's, I was big on the Hoosiers because I liked to drive around on them, and a DOT gets a better spot on the street than a slick anyway. Scott man, just pick up a set of DR's, i'll give them to you at my cost if I have to, you don't even need an ET Street, T51R ran a 10.7 on them with his old setup (which is OK to reveal now that his 3.2 setup is in). PM me and i'll give you my # at work...
Old 05-31-03, 12:38 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Question dual diaphram clutch?

Hey Sc300T.. ive been reading a lot about your car's setup. I havent found any info about tearing up the motor/tranny with a dual diaphram clutch till now though! I just put in a clutchnet dual diaphram pressure plate w/ a 6 puck sprung disk in my sc300.. they claim that it will hold up to 700hp. I am gonna turbo my car in 2 months or so...

uhh what happened with your old dual diaphram setup?! was it responsible for messing something up badly??

Also on the headgasket issue..
i was planning on just throwing down about 14-15lbs of boost and pumping a lot of gas through some 720s (hopefully the afc will be able to control these)
from your experience do you think this is unreasonable with the stock headgasket?? i dont really wanna replace it if it can hold 400-500hp.. that's the goal! (for now at least...)

thanks for the info!
Old 05-31-03, 02:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

No way, over a BAR of boost on stock compression, gonna go boom, and the AFC won't control 720's anyway....
Old 05-31-03, 04:32 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Ditto... 14 or 15 is too much unless you have access to 100 octane unleaded.
Old 05-31-03, 09:20 PM
Dohc3l
Rookie

pump gas in cali is 91 octane

Quick Reply: Going NA-T in 3 weeks...