Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

why no air to water intercooling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 09:17 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no air to water intercooling?

I was wondering why nobody (or have they) has done a air to water intercooler on a TT or NA-T swap? I know alot of factory cars have this setup (Typhone, Syclone trucks for instance) so the reliability is there.. And alot of Race teams use this setup so the performance is there also... I understand that air to air is alot easier setup with no water pumps and supplies to worry about but water is a great cooler... I was just thinking that around town a nice cool water cooler would seem to work better than a conventional air to air then when you get to the track ice water......The actual cooler from like PWR isn't that big and could fit under the hood of the SCs... This is just purely a question.... I have the Blitz IC for my car so this is not something I am really considering but it just seems that a water cooler would be so trick..............Whatcha think folks......??????!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-03, 06:05 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Water has a higher thermal capacity than air, making it better for cooling (hence a water radiator), but its benifit is also its draw back. It heats up too quickly- is that a bad thing; yes. The problem is how to cool down the water on the intercooler after its heated up.....it needs another radiator to cool the intake radiators heat exchange or else it self defeated its original purpose by heating up the intake charge rather than cooling it. Sound complicated- it is!

So for high output engines intended for long term use, it becomes difficult, expensive, and just not feesable considering the extra cost, weight and space needed. It can be done, has been done, and is quite effevtive when done right. But is it really necessary - thats the main question.

There is an Acronym- K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) and water injection was born!