Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Valve or switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 06:26 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve or switch?

it's been awhile since I posted so please don't flame. Just bought a sc300 97. Anyone know if this part is suppose to be hooked up? Not sure what that module is called. If anyone can take a picture or assist me with how it's hook up. I would be great fully thankful.
Old 03-01-17, 07:14 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Heater control valve. Should be hooked up only if you care if it gets really hot or really cold in the cabin.

I am not sure what is going on with this from your previous owner, it looks like they bypassed the vsv and put vacuum directly to the valve. I can't remember if vacuum opens or closes the valve but like it is it is one way or the other. Something must not be telling the vsv to do its thing to modulate the temp or it wouldn't have been bypassed like this.

Last edited by RXRodger; 03-01-17 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CptCrunch (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 08:20 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Heater control valve. Should be hooked up only if you care if it gets really hot or really cold in the cabin.

I am not sure what is going on with this from your previous owner, it looks like they bypassed the vsv and put vacuum directly to the valve. I can't remember if vacuum opens or closes the valve but like it is it is one way or the other. Something must not be telling the vsv to do its thing to modulate the temp or it wouldn't have been bypassed like this.

hmmmm. when I turn the heater on it's hot. But when I turn it to cold it's warm. With AC on its kind warm AC. Maybe someone can take a took at theirs or show me what lines goes to what. Lol. Thanks!
Old 03-01-17, 08:44 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by CptCrunch
hmmmm. when I turn the heater on it's hot. But when I turn it to cold it's warm. With AC on its kind warm AC. Maybe someone can take a took at theirs or show me what lines goes to what. Lol. Thanks!
Break the line from vacuum source at splice closest to the valve, hook it (vacuum) up to bare lower connection on vsv. Connect 2 short hoses at splice which would connect the upper vsv connection to the valve. Let us know if it all works.
The following users liked this post:
CptCrunch (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 09:22 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Break the line from vacuum source at splice closest to the valve, hook it (vacuum) up to bare lower connection on vsv. Connect 2 short hoses at splice which would connect the upper vsv connection to the valve. Let us know if it all works.
thanks! I'll try it tomorrow! You my friend are very helpful also nice collects of SC's in your sig. lol
Old 03-01-17, 10:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by CptCrunch
First thing is fixing up the VSV routing like RX discussed. But your symptoms sound very similar to what I dealt with:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html
Old 03-02-17, 02:44 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

So after switching the lines around. It seems to be cooler. Worst case is switch out the hcv. Thank you all!
Old 03-03-17, 09:23 AM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Okay guys. I'm guessing I have a bad HCV because after re routing the hoses yesterday. This morning while warming up my car in 44 degree weather, I wasn't getting heat from my vents. It was straight cold lol. Before the rerouting like the picture above. I was getting heat. I guess that's why the last owner had it routed like that. Lol. Now to buy a new HCV.
Old 03-03-17, 12:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Usually when they fail people will bypass it like the picture of yours shows so they won't freeze in the winter. Then when summer comes around they hook it up how its supposed to be.

When its hooked up like its supposed to going through the valve, if the valve is bad you won't get heat, its a common issue and you likely just have a bad vsv (vacuum switching valve).
The following 2 users liked this post by Ali SC3:
CptCrunch (03-03-17), mfg_guy (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 03:01 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Usually when they fail people will bypass it like the picture of yours shows so they won't freeze in the winter. Then when summer comes around they hook it up how its supposed to be.

When its hooked up like its supposed to going through the valve, if the valve is bad you won't get heat, its a common issue and you likely just have a bad vsv (vacuum switching valve).
thanks for the info Ali.