Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Top to bottem or side to side intercoolers discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 11:57 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Top to bottem or side to side intercoolers discussion

Hello All,

I'm trying to decide on the best intercooler setup for my plant NA-T conversion for my 98 SC. I know top to bottom intercoolers flow MUCH more than side to side and since I do not have or plan a GTE manifold, I was considering doing a top to bottom setup.

The info I found was all over the internet from Kenny Bell's website to others.
Here are a few references...
http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/intercoolers.36072/

Back in the day, I used to run a Sparco 1000 CFM IC on my 7M mk3 which was made by RRE. While it flowed like crazy it obviously didn't have that sexy look appeal of side to side IC's. I currently have a 4" xs power side to side on my 2jz mk3 and it works amazingly well for my needs.

Nothing has really changed in all these years, and looks is a big reason I believe people go side to side.

Anyone knowledgeable on this subject?
Old 03-09-17, 11:56 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on the application.

The more rows you have, the better the intercooler. It has little to do with the length of the rows.

A top to bottom arrangement in our applications would be better in just about every way except that it would use excessive tubing and wouldn't have any real benefits over a side to side since we have a ton of space behind the bumper bar. In a space limited car, this would be a different discussion.
Old 03-17-17, 12:00 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whys that the piping would be less since it's not a FFIM and just the stock over the valve covers.
Old 03-17-17, 06:33 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

For an NA-T retaining the stock intake manifold, using a side to side does require long lengths of IC piping. A top/bottom with the in/out both on the passenger side would reduce the amount of piping needed. I haven't had my bumper off in awhile though so I don't recall if there is anything that would be in the way of the top endtank opening preventing piping from being cleanly routed up there.

I used a side to side in my oringal NA-T setup with the stock intake. one of the pipes was extremely long. However it still was fine functionally.