Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who has removed their charcoal canister?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 01:18 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Who has removed their charcoal canister?

Guys,

Any of you removed your charcoal canister to clean-up the engine bay? I am thinking of removing mine during the engine swap, however, I have read people begin to smell fuel at idle or when parked? I know why there would be a fuel smell....im just curious what some of you have done to delete or possibly relocate your canisters?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-17, 04:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I went back and forth so many times, mainly removing for catch can location and then reinstalling because of the fuel smell that happens.
if you stick a small fuel filter on the end, it will help with the smell until a hot day then you will still get it from time to time.
if your a/c is on fresh air... well that will be fresh air with gas smell from now on unless you get creative with your vent house routing.
I learnt to always hit recirculate as soon as I turn the a/c on cause it likes to default to fresh air on the SC.

I personally preferred running with it installed. sure its a good spot for a catch can, but you can get creative or relocate the canister.
I read that a car can evaporate as much as 21 gallons of gas a year without a charcoal canister... that's over an entire tank of gas.

I think the vvti setups have it in the rear by the gas tank, maybe that is a good alternative.
check out Gerrbs amazing thread post #3758
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-toys-251.html
Old 03-31-17, 05:00 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think the vvti setups have it in the rear by the gas tank, maybe that is a good alternative.
Ali - I thought all Lexus SCs with VVTi had the charcoal canister by the gas tank.... apparently not after I got the 1999 SC400 which I used for parts in the past month. That car had it in front of the driver side wheel well

OP - as Ali have mentioned, I will just relocate the canister . Otherwise the gas smell will be there specially if the vehicle is parked in an enclosed garage.
Old 03-31-17, 07:38 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

I went back and forth so many times, mainly removing for catch can location and then reinstalling because of the fuel smell that happens.
if you stick a small fuel filter on the end, it will help with the smell until a hot day then you will still get it from time to time.
if your a/c is on fresh air... well that will be fresh air with gas smell from now on unless you get creative with your vent house routing.
I learnt to always hit recirculate as soon as I turn the a/c on cause it likes to default to fresh air on the SC.

I personally preferred running with it installed. sure its a good spot for a catch can, but you can get creative or relocate the canister.
I read that a car can evaporate as much as 21 gallons of gas a year without a charcoal canister... that's over an entire tank of gas.

Thanks Ali! Yeah, it's mainly for aesthetics...I may try relocating it.

Originally Posted by gerrb
Ali - I thought all Lexus SCs with VVTi had the charcoal canister by the gas tank.... apparently not after I got the 1999 SC400 which I used for parts in the past month. That car had it in front of the driver side wheel well

OP - as Ali have mentioned, I will just relocate the canister . Otherwise the gas smell will be there specially if the vehicle is parked in an enclosed garage.
Thanks gerrb! I'm going to try and relocate it in the trunk with extended lines....if not, ill just have my buddy fab me a catch can to go around the spaghetti of lines under the hood.
Old 03-31-17, 11:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb

That's unfortunate that seemed like a good idea for a place to put it. if its for specific years/models maybe its possible to get parts for it or just relocate stock stuff there.

OP, You can try running it without but just over time I found its worth the effort to have it working. also you can get smaller ones from other cars all toyota's have them from that era.
Old 04-01-17, 04:16 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

OP, You can try running it without but just over time I found its worth the effort to have it working. also you can get smaller ones from other cars all toyota's have them from that era.
Ali, today I traced the lines coming from the canister and here is what I noticed:

- One line vents into the atmosphere (it's a thicker line from under the canister and tops off with a small filter-like end).
- Another thicker line connects to the gas tank fuel line.
- And a thinner line goes to a check valve, that circulates into the throttle body.

So, my question here is...can't I just recirculate the fuel vapor line from the gas tank into the throttle body directly...and avoid the gas smell that way? I mean in theory, the gas vapor would be mixed with the intake air and eventually burned no?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-17, 10:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't know if its a good idea to remove the canister from the loop and still have the system going into the engine.
I would guess no because you would have all the fuel vapor evaporating into everything connected to your engine instead of in the canister.
The canister has a one way check valve on the line to the intake, so if you hit boost it would not pressurize the gas tank which is not good for the fuel pump or afr's.
The port on the bottom is the vent to fresh air, but this only happens if the canister builds up too much pressure so its basically a safety feature.

there are 2 ways the engine can draw in from the canister, one is a ported vac line on the top of the throttle body that only has vacuum on partial throttle, the second way is via a vsv controlled by the ecu, lines from both of these tee together and run to the canister. one of the lines has a check valve on them also I forget which one its under the Y part of the intake.

I never got around to it but I was thinking of just ordering one from a corolla or camry that's smaller and mounting it in the fender somewhere. just make the hoses longer.

alot of people just run it to the ground also and avoid the whole canister thing. I'm actually having to reinstall the canister on the stingray cause it smells all the time.
Old 04-03-17, 09:15 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Some of the Supra guys relocate the canister to the rear bumper void.

It seems like you could do it with not much change in piping. Instead of having the gas tank vent to the canister and the canister vent to the intake manifold, just add a short line from the tank to the new canister location and use the original tank-to-canister hard line to hook the canister up to the intake with another short hose extension in the engine bay. I've thought about doing it on my '95 to see how much weight I can move rearward.
Old 04-03-17, 10:33 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Some of the Supra guys relocate the canister to the rear bumper void.

It seems like you could do it with not much change in piping. Instead of having the gas tank vent to the canister and the canister vent to the intake manifold, just add a short line from the tank to the new canister location and use the original tank-to-canister hard line to hook the canister up to the intake with another short hose extension in the engine bay. I've thought about doing it on my '95 to see how much weight I can move rearward.
Yeah, I've been contemplating that as well. Do you know why the canister has a line to the throttle body? I mean, is the canister really enough to remove the gas smell without any lines going to the throttle body?
Old 04-03-17, 11:55 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed my charcoal canister as it was full of water and was throwing codes. I ran the line off the gas tank under the car to the passenger side right behind the bumper and put a vent valve for a fuel cell on it. (FS PTV6 is the model from pegasusautoracing.com) it is a low pressure valve that allows the tank to vent off excess pressure and allow a little in as well in case of a vacuum. No codes on it and no gas smell either.
Old 04-03-17, 12:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Yeah, I've been contemplating that as well. Do you know why the canister has a line to the throttle body? I mean, is the canister really enough to remove the gas smell without any lines going to the throttle body?
I think it's an emissions thing, allowing some of those fuel vapors to be burned off.
Old 04-04-17, 01:47 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

t2d2 is correct. 1 part for removing fuel smell, but mostly for emissions of not having petrol based fluids leaking out into the air. There are two parts to the canister, the canister itself filled with charcoal and the purge control valve. The purge valve is what bleeds the "fumes" from the canister back into the engine to be burned off at a slow pace when the engine is at operating temp. The canister absorbs the fuel vapors from the tank when the engine is turned off and/or the engine isn't at full temp/not ideal to purge (depends on how the emissions for the motor is set in the ecu).

Having the canister hooked up but no purge line (needs vacuum to empty it) can fill the canister with water and gas. Mine did that as the valve went bad and the canister cracked, rendering it useless.
Old 04-05-17, 05:09 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to re install mine to the 1jz. Does any one have a pic of there hook up
Old 04-06-17, 09:21 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I removed mine and just added tubing from the vent to the line that exits under the front of the car. I have no smell at all.

Shane
Old 04-06-17, 09:42 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SSmith
I removed mine and just added tubing from the vent to the line that exits under the front of the car. I have no smell at all.

Shane
How is it some folks get the smell doing this, and some don't? This is very confusing. I mean, what is different across the models in terms of canisters, piping, etc... I don't see any. Yet, some are getting the smell by removing the canister and directing the line under the car, and some aren't. Can the canister be placed in the trunk, and have the lines vented outside?...or is this not safe?

Quick Reply: Who has removed their charcoal canister?