Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC400 R155 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 11:50 PM
HIxUZZ80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 SC400 R155 swap?

Will a 2WD 2005-2015 Tacoma Trans (R155) work with the 1uzfeswapkit.com's Rxx short shaft bell housing adapter kit? I've been researching this for about 6 months and have no definitive answer. the main issue for me here is can I get the Tacoma Vehicle Speed Sensor to send the correct signal to the SC400 ECU/Speedo to keep from lighting the CEL. I know the SC400 ecu looks for a 0-5v square pulse signal from the VSS/ signal converter. The SC400 has 2, 2 Wire VSS and the Tacoma has a 3 Wire VSS. I believe the Tacoma sensor only difference is that it needs 12v or 5v switched power to the extra pin? If this cant be accomplished with resistors and some wiring I belive the Dakota Digital Converter can. Although that converter is pricey. I need the stock Lexus speedo to work to pass the Smog/inspection in Cali. The other thing is, will the Shifter location be at least close to the original location? I dont think so. I think it will need the R154 extended shifter Ive seen in supra's

Any helpful guidance or reference's will be much appreciated.
Pic for attention.

Ive read a good swap how to: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-swap-pix.html
I've read a thread on the possibilities of the R155: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...to-r154-6.html
I've seen the Thread on the physical install of the plate: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15217
I've read the CEL problems and fix's Thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-issue-2.html
The kit I'm refering to: http://1uzfeswapkit.com/product.sc?productId=40&categoryId=7
The Dakota Digital Converter: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sgi-5e?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dakota-digital&gclid=CImborrNp9MCFQ92fgod518DdA

Last edited by HIxUZZ80; 04-16-17 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 01:40 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

I'm not sure about the SC400 specifically but SC300's and MKIV's that came with W58's both use 3-wire VSS connectors as do Soarer/Chaser/etc tripod R154's. MKIII R154's have cable drives instead of a VSS so we use a Marlin Crawler screw on VSS 3-wire convertor for those.

The R154 bellhousing (either the 7M type or 1JZ type) should both bolt right onto the R155. What I personally cannot speak about from hard knowledge or experience is any differences in the input shaft between the R154 and R155 or what clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing should be used. The clutch setup, however, I'd assume, would carry over from the R154 spec (someone please correct me if I am wrong about that). It's the input shaft you should investigate.

You've already seen the pertinent thread from last year regarding the adaptation of an R155 to SC's with 2JZ's and 1JZ's. It's just not a popular transmission swap right now compared to the R154, AR-5 and CD009 due to some less desirable gearing differences and probably the input shaft needing some modification or changing. It has been done with JZ's but not very much in the USA at this point.

Bolted against a 1UZ engine... I'm not sure if that has been tried yet or not. Possibly in New Zealand or Australia.

You may not need the Dakota Digital box if all you want is to convert the speedo signal only. I recommend a Yellr Yellowbox V4 for that (or V5 if a new one is out). Yellr sells an SC/MKIV specific plug and play harness that you can request from them when you order. I can dig out the harness part number tomorrow if you need it but they should know exactly which one to give you.

Yes, you need the stock speedometer to read correctly in order to pass the Cali smog test. I have no idea what the testing is like in Hawaii but I know they are even more strict and sometimes illogical. A few years back I investigated W58 manual conversions for SC400's in California and I sort of ran into a gray area as far as testing was concerned, assuming a 100% stock 1UZ with all the smog controls in place and functioning with the factory ECU. The gray area was that I never got a 100% yes or a 100% no from the BAR. The transmission isn't an emissions modification but the car also never came with a manual transmission option to begin with so the smog dyno computer will show "automatic" as the only option. It probably depends on the smog tech as to whether or not any issue will be taken with that. I do note many older 80's and 70's 1UZ/W58 cars in CA so I'm not sure what the deal is currently with smog/BAR on this.

The shifter location will need to be extended. You'll note that the OEM 1991-1993 Toyota Soarer R154 extension housing and internal shift arm has been discontinued worldwide by Toyota as of mid-2016: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-thread-6.html

You're in luck though as Xcessive Manufacturing has a copy of that very housing available for about $200. Part number through them is: T-SH-R154-S2. What they do not sell with it is a replica of the longer internal shift arm. They sell a steel plate piece to extend your R154 (or R155) internal shift arm which you must remove first. I'd recommend having a professional shop do the arm lengthening. Driftmotion does this for the entire housing and arm lengthening on their own jig for accuracy. Aaron (the owner) may be able to do the same thing with just the arm and using Xcessive's part or the measurements they have from the identical OEM Soarer extensions housing.

The OEM Soarer style extension housing requires the use of a stock SC300 5-speed "swan" shifter or an MK3 Supra "swan" shifter. Alternatively the SupraSport V2 or V3 R154/W58 short shifter which is also a bolt-in fit and works well.

Note that the 1991-1993 Soarer OEM R154 extension housing is meant to have the same placement of the extension housing type W58 from 1992-1994 SC300's. It's farther forward than the placement of ALL Toyota tripod transmissions which use the 1995-1997 SC300 and 1993-1997 MKIV Supra manual transmission tunnel opening.

Your SC400 transmission tunnel has neither of these and will need to be cut for the correct opening area anyway. And you will not have the OEM style over engineered insulator boots that fit SC300 M/T transmission tunnels. The easiest route if you wish to use an R155 is to cut your transmission tunnel accordingly for whichever extension housing your transmission uses and fit a universal insulator boot underneath the console and leather shift boot/bezel.

Alternative to the OEM style extension housing you can just have a longer custom extension made from your original housing and internal shift arm (again, Driftmotion does this) which is usually set up to use a straight shifter (often a Beech Performance straight/unbent shifter) and a shifter location that comes up right about where an R154/W58/V160 tripod opening does in an SC. This always seemed a bit too long to me versus getting a tripod transmission but it's another common option nonetheless.

Personally I'd go with the more OEM style shifter extension housing setup but that's just me.

May I ask though... what is the motivation for adapting the R155 instead of an R154 or even an AR5? Cost I can understand. It's just new territory as far as I know with 1UZ's.
The following users liked this post:
HIxUZZ80 (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 04:24 AM
HIxUZZ80
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great info in your reply first off.
Im aware of the MC VSS conversion.

As far as Bell housing's the Stock 1UZ is used with an adaptor plate/kit (pictured above). The imput Shaft length is, as i assume the same as the pre 1996 R series (such as the R150 and R151 [short shaft]). ("on the R150 2WD transmission found in many Toyota trucks came with two input shaft lengths pre- 1996 and Post 1996. Post-1996 is not compatable with this adaptor plate.***
***Correct input shaft length is roughly 6 1/4" from the face of the transmission. The Long style is roughly 7 1/2" or 30 mm Longer.") ...listed on site. i do need to investigate the length though. I plan to measure a R155 in person before purchase.

The clutch that is specified for this kit is... "If you are looking to buy a complete clutch kit that works you can use a clutch kit for a 1990 4runner or a 90's era turbo 3sgte Mr2".

Yes the purchase of the Dakota Digital box is not preferable, but is possible for me. I'd just like to save some pennies. I think i can get the Tacoma VSS to talk to the SC400 ECU.

As for the Smog test, I'm not concerned that the tech will understand the SC400 never came with a Manual Trans. I am concerned that the ECU will throw a CEL for the VSS or have a speedometer malfunction and fail. I must Clarify, I no longer live in Hawaii, i live in Los Angles now. I need to change my profile.

I know of a dealer that may still have Supra extended shifters and housings in stock. I am also aware of the 200+$ service on Drift motion to extend the shifter. This will not work in my application as the stock R155 shifter housing is reversed to the MKIII supra housing. The shifter is forward in the 6 bolt opening, not back or over the rear of the trans. Last night i stumbled on to the AR5 thread on Supramainia and am thinking about obtaining a shifter from one of thoes transmissions's. but more research needs to be done to decide that choice. that decision may need to be made after a mock up with trans and car.

I kinda planed from the begining to obtain a 4WD shifter out of a toyota pickup and bend and chop or cut and weld for the fine tuning part of the positioning of the shifter in the chassis opening. I hope to make a lower boot work to seal out road noise and possible exhaust leak gases. also i would like to get the SC300 interior trim Boot for the center console to retain the "stock" look to pass the visual inspection portion od a smog check.

As for the reason of my choice for the R155 is the lack of thrush washer in 1st ive heard failing, and read to be Stronger than the R154. Also the parts to replace damaged parts and overall cost to obtain one are extremely cheap in Los Angles.

I like to be unique, if I'm the first to R155 a 1UZ, Kudos to me!
Old 02-06-18, 10:45 PM
HIxUZZ80
Driver School Candidate

bump......
Old 12-28-18, 06:15 PM
GUARD1AN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates ?