Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air intake piping is cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 06:01 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Booga,,
I was thinking that something like a hot lamp or other object is the cause but how could a hot pipe make contact with that part of the intake? The other issue I am having that could be causing overheating in some way is a shift solenoid code from my check engine light. I have noticed that my car is not shifting from 3rd to 4th and that is causing my RPMs to run at about 6000 RPMs at 70 MPH -- does anyone think that is the problem with the intake? This is the cold side of the intake so there is no reason for heat on that side, right?
Old 05-16-17, 10:26 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the part that Luxor suggested
Hose, air cleaner part # 17881-46100
Lexus of Newport Beach was nice enough to pricematch an online reseller at $44, which is a good discount compared to the normal dealer price of $67. There other online sellers, but delivery would not be until Friday. (If I am lucky)
Newport Beach is local to me, so I saved a little bit of time.
Old 05-16-17, 10:30 PM
booga
Pole Position

HUGE difference in response stomping on the gas. The hesitation that I experienced before is no longer there. Idle at a stop has been consistent, and so far no stuttering at idle or acceleration. No raw fuel smell coming out of the exhaust.

I will continue to monitor, updates if the issue is not resolved.

The newest part on my 24 year old SC

Thank you KahnBB6 & Luxor for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I am happy with keeping the stock intake piping. I will do the BFE eventually.

Last edited by booga; 05-16-17 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 10:38 PM
booga
Pole Position

6000 RPM at 70 MPH is high!
This forum has an extensive discussion on the SC's. If your search does not come up with any hits, start your own thread. It helps you, it helps others. Then once your issue is resolved, stick around a little and help others.

I made sure to post part numbers on my post, and include pictures, in hopes that others who are having the same issue and searching the web will find this thread.

Originally Posted by tzxlyd
Booga,,
I was thinking that something like a hot lamp or other object is the cause but how could a hot pipe make contact with that part of the intake? The other issue I am having that could be causing overheating in some way is a shift solenoid code from my check engine light. I have noticed that my car is not shifting from 3rd to 4th and that is causing my RPMs to run at about 6000 RPMs at 70 MPH -- does anyone think that is the problem with the intake? This is the cold side of the intake so there is no reason for heat on that side, right?
Old 05-16-17, 10:47 PM
booga
Pole Position

The duct tape was to hold for only a few days.
It is better now that the duct tape is out and the new piping is in place.

Originally Posted by Returd
self amalgamating tape is a better temporary material than duct tape. I've fixed a blown heater hose with it.
Old 05-16-17, 10:49 PM
booga
Pole Position

I went with the suggestion of KAhnBB6 in keeping the stock piping.

Originally Posted by Returd
Nice hot air intake

Last edited by booga; 05-16-17 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 08:23 PM
booga
Pole Position

It seems that I may have celebrated too soon.

Driving to work earlier today, the car sputtered to a rough idle as I rolled to a stop at a light. Then the smell of unburnt gas coming out of the exhaust. So the leak on the intake piping was not the problem.

What else should I be looking for?

Old 05-19-17, 12:23 PM
booga
Pole Position

After searching some more in the forums, I found many posts regarding the ECU going bad. Since it does not cost anything to take a look, I decided to take out the ECU to get a closer look. One capacitor looks bad where it sits on the board. Which may be the reason for the intermittent rough idle/white smoke/smell of raw fuel coming out of the exhaust issue.

See picture of bad cap on the ECU in the link below
leaking capacitor

* Apologies, the option to attach a picture to this post would not work for some reason

Last edited by booga; 06-01-17 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 10:56 PM
booga
Pole Position

Replaced the ECU today.

First few miles the car let out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. After a few miles, the smoke cleared. Idle is consistent, and the car is VERY responsive. No hiccup during acceleration.

Original ECU - Underneath the smaller capacitor, the green part of the board is bubbling up and peeling. ECU part # 89661-24301 (federal)
Replacement ECU ordered from Tanin part # 89661-24300 (federal)

Thank you Tanin for tracking down the right part for my car.

Last edited by booga; 06-01-17 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 07:34 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by booga
Replaced the ECU today.

First few miles the car let out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. After a few miles, the smoke cleared. Idle is consistent, and the car is VERY responsive. No hiccup during acceleration.

Original ECU - Underneath the smaller capacitor, the green part of the board is bubbling up and peeling. ECU part # 89661-24301 (federal)
Replacement ECU ordered from Tanin part # 89661-24300 (federal)

Thank you Tanin for tracking down the right part for my car.

You are most welcome! Happy and safe driving! Let us know if you ever need anything else. Happy to help our ClubLexus friends anytime.
www.taninautoelectronix.com