Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake conclusions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03 | 12:58 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I definately want to do a BFI project, definately looks like thats the way to go, those aussies definately know what they are talking about.
Old 06-06-03 | 07:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some pics of the BFI...
Attached Thumbnails Intake conclusions-2.jpg  
Old 06-06-03 | 07:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails Intake conclusions-1.jpg  
Old 06-06-03 | 07:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails Intake conclusions-3.jpg  
Old 06-06-03 | 07:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Last one for now. The BFI isn't complete. I still need to weld two pieces together, maybe make a scoop too, and add on more heat insulation (blue foam). I also need to transplant my right side HID ballast somewhere out of the way. I settled on 22-awg steel for the shield. I'll paint it black some other day...
Attached Thumbnails Intake conclusions-4.jpg  
Old 06-09-03 | 11:59 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Which one of the BFI versions did you do? The big hole in the box one, or the egg cup one, or what?
Old 06-10-03 | 12:04 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

MadMax looks like Rich just cut it out, the only reason people use the egg cups is to make it more pleasing to the eye, who really cares since there is a lid anyways. Take a look at his post with pics, the project should be pretty straight forward, the only thing is that you wreck your air box and there is no going back to stock. I wish there was a kit made for this, but I guess its pretty easy still, just don't enjoy drilling holes personally.

GL if you can document it for us.
Old 06-10-03 | 12:05 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

My bad forgot the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=85996
Old 12-13-03 | 11:23 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

Red face intake really works?

Without turbocharge or supercharge, the most you can get from any "best" intake (don't know which one) is .5psi, which is about 7-8hp for SC300/400. So it's hard to see the difference. Now, where that .5psi comes from? It simply comes from pressure lost (from your old air filter) and air flowing in at high speed.

Now, based on my physics poor knowledge, you do need an airbox ... in fact you need a bigger airbox . This is how you could get more instant air and some positive pressure at high speed. So don't remove your airbox if you can't put in a bigger one (because big one contains more air, reducing pressure lost). And you also need a good filter (like new stock filter or K&N filter).

Now, the only way to get more power (with N/A engine) is to get your engine to rev' more. I am sure there are experts in this forum who know how to make changes to SCs to allow it to rev more. Please raise your hands.
Old 12-14-03 | 03:15 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I finaly ditched my K&N panel filter after figuring out that a filter with more surface area would do better for my engine.
I used a cylinder shaped K&N from another vehicle mounted to a custom aluminum plate that fits into the same position as the panel filter.Since the filter no longer fit into the housing,I cut off the entire front half of the airbox,leaving the MAF in the stock position with all it's brackets intact.
It runs better on the top end now,had to make a mixture adjustment also, so I know there was some holding back with the old setup.
Scsrock, you can clean up some of the abrupt edges on the entrance of the MAF,get rid of the retainer for the screen,and make sure that the rubber gasket doesn't hang into the path of air; just don't do anything to the inside of the MAF. These things will make for a noticeable difference,free too.
Old 12-14-03 | 06:15 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCV8
I finaly ditched my K&N panel filter after figuring out that a filter with more surface area would do better for my engine.
I used a cylinder shaped K&N from another vehicle mounted to a custom aluminum plate that fits into the same position as the panel filter.Since the filter no longer fit into the housing,I cut off the entire front half of the airbox,leaving the MAF in the stock position with all it's brackets intact.
It runs better on the top end now,had to make a mixture adjustment also, so I know there was some holding back with the old setup.
Scsrock, you can clean up some of the abrupt edges on the entrance of the MAF,get rid of the retainer for the screen,and make sure that the rubber gasket doesn't hang into the path of air; just don't do anything to the inside of the MAF. These things will make for a noticeable difference,free too.
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of this, if you have a cam.
Old 12-17-03 | 04:30 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I'll work on that one Max...
Been doing some research on making a set of headers for the SC;found a place up here that will sell all the bends and collectors individually,and I just finished making a wooden replica of the driver's side of the engine/frame/steering shaft/motor mount so I can work on the bench.
Old 01-04-04 | 01:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Well Max, I tried yesterday for a half hour; the pictures were too big after cropping down a bunch,so I tried again today with a lower quality picture and the picture didn't want to load from my camera,so I'm going to have to leave you with the description,and the fact that the K&N filter was intended for an "87 V6 Pontiac Fiero.
It's all built off of a plate that has the same shape as the panel filter, with a 4" hole in the middle of it, with some small angle pieces riveted on to support a piece of all-thread/ready-rod accross the hole.I then welded a washer onto the end of another piece of threaded rod,slid the washer over the first piece of threaded rod, and out of the end of the filter,through a round endplate, with a nylok nut holding the endplate, filter, baseplate all together.
The whole thing is held against the rubber gasket on the sc airbox with some additional pieces of sheetmetal, bent 90 degrees, and riveted onto the baseplate in the locations where the plastic tabs are on the sc airbox.I made the bent sheetmetal pieces over sized,then trimmed them to provide a snug fit.
Old 01-04-04 | 07:49 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCV8
Well Max, I tried yesterday for a half hour; the pictures were too big after cropping down a bunch,so I tried again today with a lower quality picture and the picture didn't want to load from my camera,so I'm going to have to leave you with the description,and the fact that the K&N filter was intended for an "87 V6 Pontiac Fiero.
It's all built off of a plate that has the same shape as the panel filter, with a 4" hole in the middle of it, with some small angle pieces riveted on to support a piece of all-thread/ready-rod accross the hole.I then welded a washer onto the end of another piece of threaded rod,slid the washer over the first piece of threaded rod, and out of the end of the filter,through a round endplate, with a nylok nut holding the endplate, filter, baseplate all together.
The whole thing is held against the rubber gasket on the sc airbox with some additional pieces of sheetmetal, bent 90 degrees, and riveted onto the baseplate in the locations where the plastic tabs are on the sc airbox.I made the bent sheetmetal pieces over sized,then trimmed them to provide a snug fit.
SCV8, If you can take the orginial pics and zip up a few of them and send them to me @ asnatlas1000@hotmail.com I will see what I can do about getting them on here for everyone to look at...

Let me know
Shawn

P.S. If you want to send 1 pic @ a time that is fine also, just send as many as you want to that e-mail and if you try to send multi at once and it does not go through just send them 1 at a time...
Old 01-05-04 | 02:26 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, here I thought everyone had a copy of photoshop.. the emphasis on copy

The shorty headers they're working on interest me the most.. as I learn how to fix stuff on my car I'm beginning to think that I'll probably end up owning this car for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Intake conclusions