Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boost controller / Waste gate help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 11:29 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Boost controller / Waste gate help needed!

I've got an xs-Power waste gate and just got a Grimmspeed manual boost controller. I've been on 12 psi waste gate spring for about 6 months. I finally got the manual boost controller and no matter how i hook it up i'm failing.

I tried to connect the boost line from the boost controller to the waste gate number 2 and 3 with no results. Still just on 12 psi. I did some research found this - for the ports the #1 is just a plugged one. a 10mm head bolt will cap it off. the #2 is for the boost controller if used, if none is used then leave open. the #3 port is turbo pressure port, the 90 degree fitting is the top one and the straight one is the side.

So I Tee'd into my dedicated boost line and ran it to the boost controller and number 3. I ran the second modified boost line from the boost controller to number 2 and i'm only hitting 7-8 pounds of boost now.... i'm so confused because i thought there was no way to reduce a springs boost only increase it with a boost controller.

I tapped and have a 1/27 npt fitting in my intake piping so i'm just getting the boost pressure from that no vacuum
Attached Thumbnails Boost controller / Waste gate help needed!-9bkb37_976abc1f07ae752e1986a9a4509e9bb03659c2e4.jpg  

Last edited by scsexy; 05-11-17 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 11:54 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Figured it out, By switching the 2 lines from where the guy said they should be on clubna-t to the opposite i'm now at 16 pounds of boost =D

So basically i ran a boost line to number 2 and the boost controller's adjusted boost line to number 3 with number 1 capped off. it all works out now =D

Last edited by scsexy; 07-07-20 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (04-08-20)
Old 06-02-18, 12:56 PM
Flyinggobl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
Figured it out, By switching the 2 lines from where the guy said they should be on clubna-t to the opposite i'm now at 16 pounds of boost =D

So basically i ran a boost line to number 2 and the boost controller's adjusted boost line to number 3 and it all works out now =D
hey did you leave the #1 open on the wastegate or caped it off
Old 06-04-18, 04:15 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flyinggobl

hey did you leave the #1 open on the wastegate or caped it off
i put a bolt in it
Old 04-07-20, 06:30 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Kinda an old thread... So this is inaccurate?

I have the same wastegate as you.
Old 04-07-20, 06:33 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Or is this what you have done?

Old 04-08-20, 09:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The first one is for a manual boost controller MBC (ball and spring type) and looks right, ports will be in slightly different places on different waste gates though.
This one usually only goes to one port cause the internal ball and spring in the MBC wont let the waste gate see anything until you hit that boost level, then it gives the wastegate the boost at once to open.
This prevents boost creep even if you don't actually raise the boost.. and is why I always start with one of these installed if I am not running a standalone... standalone you can run the electronic one and have more adjustabliity.

The second one is for an electronic boost controller, usually with a standalone or a digital boost controller unit somewhere, and these usually go to 2 of the ports one top and one bottom.
You can wire these a few ways, but when it goes to 2 ports it gives more precise control this way and lets the computer cycle or adjust boost on the fly between the 2 ports..
like if you have it setup for low boost under certain rpm, speed or gear, and then switch to high boost on the fly above that rpm, speed or gear, this type of arrangement can do that smoothly.

So depends on the type you have, both are right... I think you can even setup the manual one to work off both ports but I don't remember how.