Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC300 no spark - no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 06:40 PM
speedf50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 SC300 no spark - no start

Hi, I have a 1993 SC300 5-speed which stopped running on me the other day. I was driving in 4th gear cruising and the car just cut out, WOT did not raise the revs at all and it continued to slow to a stop with the key in the on position. Killed the battery cranking and jiggling wires but no dice I had to get towed home by my friend's 280z (that was a pretty hilarious sight).

So far I have tried the following:
- bypassed fuel pump ecu (thought it was a fuel issue at first)
- had engine ECU rebuilt with new capacitors - no dice
- checked spark on the front two plug wires - nada, no spark
- Looked for frayed/shorted wires near the crank and cam angle sensors - didn't see anything

I'll fully admit I'm new to Lexus/Toyota coming from Mazdas and BMW's and fear I am missing something relatively obvious to try. I have to move in 3 weeks and need to get this car running or I'll have to sell it at a huge loss (purchased it less than 6 months ago). I guess the flipside of that is... anyone want a cheap 93 5-speed sc?
Old 05-24-17, 07:18 PM
speedf50
Driver School Candidate

So I just went outside and on the recommendation of my friend tested for spark between the coil and center distributor wire, nothing there either. Bad coil?

Considering ordering one to see if that fixes it, is there a test procedure?

Edit: considering the stock coil had no record of replacement and the car has 240k+ I decided to replace it anyways. fingers crossed this is the issue!

Last edited by speedf50; 05-24-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 02:41 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by speedf50
So I just went outside and on the recommendation of my friend tested for spark between the coil and center distributor wire, nothing there either. Bad coil?

Edit: considering the stock coil had no record of replacement and the car has 240k+ I decided to replace it anyways. fingers crossed this is the issue!
If you have a voltmeter, disconnect the coil, measure resistance across the two terminals on the connector, should get 0.2-0.3 ohms. Pull the coil wire, measure between coil wire post and the right hand connector post (if looking at posts and connector on bottom). Should get 6000 to 11000 ohms.
Old 05-30-17, 05:03 PM
speedf50
Driver School Candidate

So the new coil didn't help, still no spark and won't start. Seeing as the ECU has already been replaced and the distributor sends the cam angle signal... could it be something internally wrong with the distributor? I've never had a car with a dizzy so it's kind of a mystery to me...
Old 10-02-22, 08:21 PM
sc300leo
5th Gear

Hi, I have a 1993 SC300 5-speed which stopped running on me the other day. I was driving in 4th gear cruising and the car just cut out, WOT did not raise the revs at all and it continued to slow to a stop with the key in the on position. Killed the battery cranking and jiggling wires but no dice I had to get towed home by my friend's 280z (that was a pretty hilarious sight).

So far I have tried the following:
- bypassed fuel pump ecu (thought it was a fuel issue at first)
- had engine ECU rebuilt with new capacitors - no dice
- checked spark on the front two plug wires - nada, no spark
- Looked for frayed/shorted wires near the crank and cam angle sensors - didn't see anything

I'll fully admit I'm new to Lexus/Toyota coming from Mazdas and BMW's and fear I am missing something relatively obvious to try. I have to move in 3 weeks and need to get this car running or I'll have to sell it at a huge loss (purchased it less than 6 months ago). I guess the flipside of that is... anyone want a cheap 93 5-speed sc?
I’d love a cheap 5spd to be honest with you let me know if you end up selling it lol
Old 10-02-22, 08:26 PM
sc300leo
5th Gear

replaced the coil on mine as well, took it out and tested resistance, turned out to be much lower than spec so replaced it. wasn’t the issue unfortunately, but im sure it was part of it. Good luck!