Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cheapest TT swap ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 11:56 AM
30PSI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice going Tommy keep us posted on your project. I was really looking into this swap but the SC300 I just purchased cost me a little over what I expected to pay and it does need a new paint job so I won't be doing this swap until sometimes next year.

As far as the clutch go I don't know if 5spd use the same set up as 6spd...I've had the TRD twinplates for about a year and a half before it started slipping this clutch set up isn't worth $1,600 and not slippable at all. Now I'm using the HPF clutch(sprung hub) with RPS billet flywheel and ACT pressure plate it's a big step up for me from the TRD twinplates this clutch set up is very slipable and I like it a lot with the smooth engagement the only thing I dislike about it is when I'm in reverse gear the car shakes and chatters real bad don't know if that has anything to do with this clutch setup, anyways if you want something that feel very close to stock and hold 650+ rwhp my friend use a HPF(sprung hub) with SouthBend presure plate on his T63 Supra when I drove his car the pedal feels so light just like stock clutch and chatter free. I hope this helps.

BTW I've MAF($75 shipped) and quite a few more parts off a '94 Supra for sale e-mail me at BoostaholicT66@yahoo.com if you're interested.
Old 06-25-03, 06:18 PM
Hi-psi
Driver

Tommy,

You need to hang up the SC project and go back to Mustangs. You still living in South Augusta? This is Robert from HS by the way. I just happened to stop by Custom Sound a few weeks ago looking at head units for the SC I just picked up about a month ago and seen Billy was working there. He told me you had a SC and were doing a swap. Never thought I'd see you up on the net though. Hit me up maybe we can meet up sometime and catch up, talk cars, etc.

Robert@Hi-psi.com
Old 06-26-03, 07:57 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default Mustangs

Well I still have the Mustangs. Im never going to not have them.. I just bought a new motor for my 93, I got the Alum. head GT40 and an Art Carr AOD with 10 inch converter..It will be a good driver and still have a few HP to play with... Plus the 200HP NOS kit will be fun too.... Yea I am now doing the TT swap in my SC.. I am taking my time because the car drives great and is not giving me any problems so why rush.I have been planning on getting a SC and doing the swap for years.. I finally found the right car and now its under way.. But I am trying to buy something right now that will definetly interest you... I am TRYING to buy a Syclone from a guy with 33K miles on it... Man its an awesome truck... But we'll see...I've wanted one since 91 but just never got one... Maybe nows the time....Yea still in Augusta... Nice hearing from you..
Old 06-26-03, 08:50 PM
Hi-psi
Driver

Sweet deal on the Syclone. That's what I almost bought before getting the Turbo TA. Guy backed out at the last minute so I bought my TA. I've been kind of burnout on all the go fast stuff for about a year now. Just got tired of always working on ****. Maybe after a while I'll get stupid and do a swap on the SC too. I'll probably be untraditional and stick with a built auto though. Any case, take it easy man and hit me up sometime. I actually have moved to Atlanta, but for now at least I'm still working in Augusta, so I'm here during the week.
Old 08-04-03, 12:27 AM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default UPDATES

Updates in original posts!!!! Damn getting close now can't wait.. Its like Christmas and I'm 7 again
Old 08-04-03, 03:54 AM
legendary
Racer

tommy, that would be awesome....let me know if you need anything
Old 08-04-03, 07:53 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Looks good, should be real nice once everything is completed. That upper intake manifold is a ***** to find use because all of the tuners are looking to buy them (most custom manifolds require a stock core). I believe this part is 400-500 from Toyota. You still are going to need a custom Driveshaft. The 6spd Tranny is a BIG portion of the money required in doing the swap (last I checked they where 2500 used and 5,000 new not including clutch setup which is probably another 600). You're still in good though. Love to see how this turns out.
Old 08-04-03, 12:03 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Well to my own dismay, I am going to run the stock 5 speed right now... The one in my car is in great shape.. I know though that the HP level will have to be kept under control for now seeing the tranny having a 400-450rwhp limit.... But don't worry I will have it 6 speed before its all over.....I have a few lines on a stock upper.. But you are right man they are high.... I have a sell pending right now on one for $150 but we'll see..... Thanks for the support and LEGENDARY I am going to have to get to one of those meets one day, I am always out of town..... But maybe the next one I can make it....
Old 08-04-03, 03:16 PM
legendary
Racer

Looking forward to it Tommy...wish you could join us at the dragon
Old 08-04-03, 10:53 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default OK lets go

Are you all meeting in Atlanta then going??? If so when and where??? What do I need to do to go?? Is it all Lexus or anything??? I will be back in Augusta the 14th so I should be able to go..Give me the schedule and I think I will make the time.... BUT I will have to reschedule my paint job so I will be there nicked up and all... Just let me know Thanks Tommy D
Old 08-05-03, 12:06 AM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: OK lets go

Originally posted by Tommyd1919
Are you all meeting in Atlanta then going??? If so when and where??? What do I need to do to go?? Is it all Lexus or anything??? I will be back in Augusta the 14th so I should be able to go..Give me the schedule and I think I will make the time.... BUT I will have to reschedule my paint job so I will be there nicked up and all... Just let me know Thanks Tommy D

expecting SEVERAL Lexuses
an NSX
Porsche
Vette

click the link in my sig

www.lexusdragon.com
We have discounted rooms.... meeting info is at www.seloc.net - look in SELOC Info for meeting info...we will caravan up there Friday at 3:00, 8/22/03
Old 08-06-03, 10:12 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

for the clutch i would go with a exedy twin plate. one of the better clutches i've tried. as for you swapping rb26's....are you dropping these into 240's? if so...are you making them all wheel drive or using a rb25 tranny and having it rear wheel drive?
Old 08-31-03, 08:19 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parts list

fuel pump ecu not needed, but you WILL need the Supra fuel pump.. also cable for cruise control (you ARE going to do it RIGHT aren't you!). You'll need the fan shroud from a Supra, and, of course a heavier clutch, the stock Lexus will never hold
Old 08-31-03, 09:31 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Yes sir the thing will be 100 percent right... This is one case that cheap doesn't mean half assed... I promise it will be right... As for fuel pump I have a Walbro 255 pump for a supra going in... I didn't know I needed a shroud.... Thanks for the help as always Tommy D
Old 09-02-03, 04:12 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Tommy, I just want to know where you found this car and all the other parts! Oh, where in Ga are you?? I'm rom metro Atl., but going to school in Tennessee right now. Let me know. If you're around, I'd LOVE to see your car.

Quick Reply: Cheapest TT swap ever?