Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 missfire and rich conditions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 09:53 AM
Sc4kid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 missfire and rich conditions.

Hello, and thanks for adding me to the forum. I may have been missing something but ive spent the past four to five days digging through forums and it has left me half answered and stumped. Any thread that was productive was never answered.

I purchased a 1994 sc400 that is conpletely stock. The car ran strong and smooth on the test drive and everything sounded normal. About 5 minutes after purchase the car started losing power and died on me. When i would crank it it would start fine, isle up for a second and die. After some digging i did the fuel pump ecu bypass and it would start and run, but it ran rough. Sounded like it ignited half the time.

the car came with plugs and wires so i figured id give that a shot, the plugs that came out were coated in fuel and the wires were very old. After swapping them, the car doesnt fire at all on the drivers side cylinder bank. All 8 plugs see spark. Im cracking the ecu open later today to check the capacitors, but if anybody else has an idea it would be very appreciated, or if you know of a thread that answers this that i couldnt find, let me know. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-17, 08:06 AM
Brennen01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you replaced the wires\plugs already, I would suggest replacing the Dizzy cap\rotor and the 2 ignition coils. I would still check the ECU though.
Old 06-20-17, 09:33 AM
Sc4kid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally took the time to pull and inspect the ecu, sure enough i had a leaking capacitor that got onto the circuit board. The car also had a cel and refused to put out codes. Hopefully ive found my issue
Old 06-23-17, 05:52 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I try to put fixes/finding etc on threads I'm into or have started. Like you I do a lot of dead end searching but also find a lot of gold here. Luck of the draw having someone familiar with your problem read your thread and reply.

I'm not a moderator or a nag but I'm interested in your problem, have subscribed and would really love it if you linked some of the useful threads like the fuel pump ECU by pass. I'm not familiar.

cheers