Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Steering column doesn't move or make any noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17 | 07:48 PM
Austinsc
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering column doesn't move or make any noise.

Hi I have a 95 sc300 Manuel and my steering column doesn't move or make any noise when trying to adjust the position what can I do to fix this problem?
Old 08-11-17 | 05:32 AM
KahnBB6

Welcome to the forum, Austinsc!

I am not sure if the lack of noise presents a larger issue (as in you can't hear anything at all when you attempt to use the adjustment toggle) but usually what has happened is the plastic gear has gone out of adjustment from the metal worm gear with the tilt function.

Here's the DIY fix for that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...wheel-fix.html

For telescope adjustment that will be a separate set of gears.

Is there absolutely no momentary struggle of the tilt or telescope motor at all? Usually when the gears need readjustment (with an inexpensive washer or two) you can hear a momentary high pitched noise when you press the adjustment toggle.
Old 08-11-17 | 04:23 PM
Austinsc
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure that the motor is shot because when I exposed the worm gear nothing was buzzing or moving.
Old 08-11-17 | 07:06 PM
KahnBB6

It may be that the motor is shot in that case. Taking it out and testing it would be the final determiner (or hooking its positive and negative leads to +12V and Ground) but it may require a replacement in this case. I am not aware of what part number the motor is or what larger assembly it may be a part of in the Toyota parts catalog but IF outright replacement is necessary I would go to the SC300/400 classifieds section and look for any part-out thread made by Aliga and leave a request there to see if he has the motor or assembly you would need. Make sure you specify that it is the tilt motor you are looking for.

Forgive me if I have missed an earlier note in your previous posts but do you still have the telescoping function working or is that dead also?
Old 08-11-17 | 07:42 PM
Austinsc
Driver School Candidate

I believe that the motor is shot and will have to replace it thanks for the advice. I found a thread by xt3eme where he shows how to fix the telescoping function I will have to give a try later and so what I'm going to have deal with.
Old 08-14-17 | 07:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

If both tilt and telescoping are dead, I would suspect the control module (driver's kick panel, above your left foot) is bad. I've had functionality restored by swapping control modules.

Do you have a link to the xt3eme thread for fixing telescoping? I've never seen anything other than fixing tilt. I've disassembled a spare column and couldn't figure out how to get tele working with a good motor.
Old 08-14-17 | 10:38 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Very possible. To illustrate that (borrowing this diagram from BlueJ's thread) you can see where Toyota placed that tilt and telescope ECU for the A/T cars. Apparently M/T cars have their version of the tilt and telescope ECU located on the passenger side. Unrelated to the topic of this thread but the only ECU that isn't clearly shown in exactly the correct spot is the seat+mirror memory ECU which is above and to the right of the steering column (shown a little too high in this diagram)

Old 08-16-17 | 08:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Apparently M/T cars have their version of the tilt and telescope ECU located on the passenger side.
Ah yes, I remember now that it wasn't where I expected it to be on my M/T.
Old 08-17-17 | 12:23 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by t2d2
Ah yes, I remember now that it wasn't where I expected it to be on my M/T.
^^ It's an odd thing to relocate it on the other side of the car for manual SC's, isn't it? It must have something to do with the manual cars not coming with traction control but it is a strange decision. Maybe it has to do with extra space the clutch pedal assembly takes up?
Old 08-17-17 | 10:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ It's an odd thing to relocate it on the other side of the car for manual SC's, isn't it? It must have something to do with the manual cars not coming with traction control but it is a strange decision. Maybe it has to do with extra space the clutch pedal assembly takes up?
Clutch pedal room is my guess. I wonder if M/T swaps run into an issue with the tilt/tele computer in that space?

A/T cars without TRAC still have it in that spot, so it wouldn't make sense (to me) to only relocate it on M/T's for that reason.