Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Swap Bypassing Wiring Extension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 08:50 PM
DaBwyan61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1JZ Swap Bypassing Wiring Extension?

I came across a thread that was suggesting that instead of extending the wiring harness/buying an extended one you can wire it in a special way. Supposedly if you drill your speedo hole larger you can reach it through there and wire it behind the radio. Is there any truth to this? I would post the link to the thread but I don't think I am allowed to post links yet.
Old 09-30-17, 01:46 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You mean tucking the ecu in the drivers side dash area?
Iyou'd still have to extend the speedo wires from the ecu location ( passenger side fender area)unless you can somehow find the right ones you can bridge them
Old 09-30-17, 03:20 PM
DaBwyan61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably should have remembered it came from the supra forums, but to quote the posts:

"I would not recommend extending it. Just drill a whole behind the intake manifold and route it to the stock location through there."

"You must be pretty new to all of this because no one really extends their harness anymore. I wouldn't recommend it because you would have to add 200+ solders to your harness and tracing wiring problems with a extended harness can he hell.

If you have a car that has abs then get a hole saw and drill your speedo hole larger. If you dont have abs then their are a couple better places you can drill a hole around that area."

"Not exactly a shortcut way of doing it. Actually smarter and preferred by most people / shops who do these swaps. Me and my brother both had extended harness and bought new harness and routed it behind the intake manifold because it looks alot cleaner and less wiring headaches.

If you did your home work you would have found out that people have stopped extending harnesses a few years ago when driftmotion came up with the idea to drill a new harness hole and run the wiring behind the radio to the stock location.

Glad your car is up and running and this will be my last time posting in any of your threads."
Old 10-07-17, 08:44 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The best thing to do is use a 2jzge wiring harness add a few wires to ecu plug to map temp sensors blah blah blah and do it right, if you know what you're doing you'll get it done!!
The following users liked this post:
1997Soarer (10-09-17)