Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto transmission issue with new ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 08:58 PM
Vivalo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto transmission issue with new ECU

I’m close to buying a SC300 with a new JDM 2JZGTE with Borg Warner Single Turbo Kit that was professionally installed. The current owner had the ECU changed to a Haltech 500 and it seems that since then, the auto transmission fails to work properly, failing to go into reverse, starting in 2nd gear plus a few other weird issues.

It seems the current owner needs to sell and can’t put any more money into it to get it resolved. He has the old ECU still so I am wondering if they could put the Aristo ECU that the shop that did the engine swap used back in.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-17, 02:56 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

If the car was running good with the stock ECU .. then re-install the ECU and get it out of that shop quick especially if the shop sold him the Haltech Spring 500 and told him it will work.

I don't know of any Haltech ECU that controls the A340 auto tt transmission
Old 10-16-17, 08:32 AM
Vivalo
7th Gear

Hi gerrb,
i spoke to Haltech and they said it should work as long as the factory ECU is still in place to control the Auto transmission. They suggested that the issue at the moment it a problem with the wiring harness not being modified correctly and assuming that the shop that did the work did it wrong.

I don’t know anything about the Sprint 500 though, I assume that is a low end. I only know about the Elite models, and then would want a 2000 to get learning and knock control.

Hopefully we can just get the harness put back to how it was and put the old ECU back in. I would assume that the old tune is still in there. Hopefully it is that simple.

How can a company get away with that with that kind of thing though? If they recommended that ECU and said they can do the work, do they charge and hourly rate? And because they are idiots who don’t really know what they are doing means the customer ends up being billed for a stupid number of hours work and in this case a non functioning car?
Old 10-16-17, 09:32 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

They are right .. but looks like that is not the problem. Since you said , the stock ecu was replaced with the haltech , then it sounds like the wiring isn't ready . There is NO Haltech ECU that has auto transmission control .

Only way is run the stock ecu in parallel with the aftermarket ecu to control auto trans but that is another story. And it is not as easy as it sounds . That is some serious wiring needed which apparently it is not the situation right now since you said , the ecu was replaced with the haltech . Then if the haltech 500 won't work with paralleled resistors .. pull up resistors on the ecu has to be taken out or replaced. It is easier said than done. But could be done.
Old 10-16-17, 10:31 AM
Vivalo
7th Gear

The owner says the Haltech is connected piggy backed with the factory ECU to control the transmission.

It seems that the shop that did the work work messed up though. Ideally I would just like to have the original ECU put back in, but if the harness was modified to work with the Haltech then it isn’t going to be so straightforward a job as whatever changes to it need to be reversed.

If if I buy it, and wanted to get a Haltech I would get an Elite 2000 for it though so it can detect and control the timing depending on what fuel has been added and remember the settings from the previous running state.

The question now is how much work (time/expense) will it be to get it all reversed so it is all running nicely again.
Old 10-16-17, 10:46 AM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

doesnt sound like its worth the headache to me