Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Perfect Idle, Stutter driving help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 06:44 PM
CMoening
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Perfect Idle, Stutter driving help

Hello,
I have searched the boards and I am unable to locate a situation exact to mine. 147K miles, When driving between 25 - 60 mph my car has hesitation, stutter and what feels like it is being chocked of gas or air. It feels like my car is doing a two-step but not full on bucking. It is not constant, it will occur 2-3 times during a 30 minutes drive. When it is stuttering along it last about 2-3 seconds and flooring it does not help. I think it occurs the most when I take my foot off the gas and then give it more gas. It does not feel like the transmission is slipping. When it stutters and I floor it the RPM's do not change, it is like it is bogged down. It idles perfectly and has never cut out. I changed the caps and rotors approx 1 year ago when I purchased the car. I have never had a CEL pop up but I pulled the codes tonight with a paperclip and got code 31 for MAF. However, I have never reset the battery in the year I owned it so I don't know if thats from prior to purchasing it? This has occurred daily for 3 months. I was leaning towards a fuel issue so I did the paperclip bypass and the problem did not correct itself. I swapped out the MAF and that did not correct the stuttering either. Right now I am leaning towards an intermittent coil pack issue so I bought a 2 pack of flea-bay and plan on changing them when they arrive. I also plan on changing the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires this weekend. Does anyone have any idea what could cause the stuttering when I am driving but have perfect idle? I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-30-17, 07:14 PM
CMoening
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention it is a 93 sc400