Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing cap and rotor on SC300 how-to

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 04:02 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc.Fred
I'm reviving this thread again because it's a great write up!

anyway, i found out that our SC uses 5mm for stock plug wires which i found weird because i used to work on honda's that were like 7-8mm is it because of how the engine is made?

why thank you, I'm glad its been useful for everyone
Old 11-30-05, 04:07 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGRich
why thank you, I'm glad its been useful for everyone
a lil OT, but i saw you on TV on veterans day i think. You were in Santa Monica Beach sitting down talking with reporters.
Old 11-30-05, 04:13 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
a lil OT, but i saw you on TV on veterans day i think. You were in Santa Monica Beach sitting down talking with reporters.
Hehe, didn't know I was a local celebrity now

That's cool, glad to see the message it getting out.
Old 06-28-06, 12:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 322 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Dooo Eeeeeeeet!!!

Judging by the lack of more responses to this thread given its age, I'm guessing the lot of you with SC's in the 100k+ mileage have NOT DONE THIS.

Do it.

It's worth it. My car just passed 108k and I changed the cap and rotor for the first time ever about an hour ago. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE just as Cloud9 stated. Idle is much smoother and steadier, acceleration has a nice boost and is smoother as well (according my butt dyno), and overall throttle response seems to be a bit quicker too. Maybe I was just imagining that, but it sure seemed like it.

GREAT write-up here TGRich, if you are still around man. For a novice like me, this took all of 40 minutes to do properly. In actuality it took a little bit more because of my experience/teachings below.

1) When removing the small screws that hold the rotor in place, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DROP THEM. They are magnetized, so use a magnetized screwdriver or just be very careful. I dropped one of mine and it landed all the way in the brush guard underneath so I had to jack up the car, remove the brushguard and grab the screw. Big waste of time, so don't drop them.
2) To get to the screws on the rotor which have a bit of difficult angle (as does the 4 o'clock screw on the cap) try removing your intake pipe from the throttle body via those 2 philips silver ring connectors. Then you can push the intake pipe out of the way a little bit to get a better angle on the screws.
3) When reattaching the connectors back into the cap, make sure you see or hear the tab "click" back into place. This will ensure that your plugs do not accidentally become loose while driving or whatever.

Once again, if you have not done it, DO IT. It takes no more than an hour even for the most novice. And all you really need is a phillips head screwdriver. I paid $19.45 for both cap and rotor at my local Toyota dealer. Lexus wanted an outrageous $36.71. This ought to be a mod in itself, but oh wait, no, its ROUTINE MAINTENANCE.

Note: I skipped the dielectric re-greasing because I didn't have any on hand, Not difficult to go back and do later on tho

Last edited by np20412; 06-28-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 04:25 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

i removed the head and the engine block is going to the machine shop..so i just put a new o'ring on the distributor and will use a new Rotor since the distributor cap only has ~7,000 miles on it.
Old 06-28-06, 10:19 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Judging by the lack of more responses to this thread given its age, I'm guessing the lot of you with SC's in the 100k+ mileage have NOT DONE THIS.

Do it.

It's worth it. My car just passed 108k and I changed the cap and rotor for the first time ever about an hour ago. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE just as Cloud9 stated. Idle is much smoother and steadier, acceleration has a nice boost and is smoother as well (according my butt dyno), and overall throttle response seems to be a bit quicker too. Maybe I was just imagining that, but it sure seemed like it.

GREAT write-up here TGRich, if you are still around man. For a novice like me, this took all of 40 minutes to do properly. In actuality it took a little bit more because of my experience/teachings below.

1) When removing the small screws that hold the rotor in place, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DROP THEM. They are magnetized, so use a magnetized screwdriver or just be very careful. I dropped one of mine and it landed all the way in the brush guard underneath so I had to jack up the car, remove the brushguard and grab the screw. Big waste of time, so don't drop them.
2) To get to the screws on the rotor which have a bit of difficult angle (as does the 4 o'clock screw on the cap) try removing your intake pipe from the throttle body via those 2 philips silver ring connectors. Then you can push the intake pipe out of the way a little bit to get a better angle on the screws.
3) When reattaching the connectors back into the cap, make sure you see or hear the tab "click" back into place. This will ensure that your plugs do not accidentally become loose while driving or whatever.

Once again, if you have not done it, DO IT. It takes no more than an hour even for the most novice. And all you really need is a phillips head screwdriver. I paid $19.45 for both cap and rotor at my local Toyota dealer. Lexus wanted an outrageous $36.71. This ought to be a mod in itself, but oh wait, no, its ROUTINE MAINTENANCE.

Note: I skipped the dielectric re-greasing because I didn't have any on hand, Not difficult to go back and do later on tho

Why thank you. I'm just glad this is helping people as much as it is

Tim
Old 10-22-06, 11:08 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

my car has 215k miles and I have no idea if the cap&rotor has been replaced, so i'm going to do this ASAP
Old 10-23-06, 06:21 AM
twodmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You

and a big Mile High Salute- this forum is such a great source of information. There aren't many sc's here in CO. Will do the cap swap this week.
The following users liked this post:
MK 300 (04-16-22)
Old 11-27-06, 02:39 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Great writeup, I finally changed mine, first time since owning the car in the past 2.5 years/35k miles....

This is what was left of my old one: