Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock 1UZ-FE internals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 10:45 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 1UZ-FE internals?

Hello -

I'm just curious, I know about the 2JZ-GE/GTE internals. It's one of the strongest motors ever made. It has 7 four bolt mains where most V8's have 5. It has forged rods, resin coated drop forged pistons, a forged steel crank, a two piece rigid oil sump, and oil jets in the rods - all of this from the factory. It can handle more horsepower in stock form than any other motor I can think of. In fact, the only difference between it and the Supra TT motor (2JZ-GTE) is the oil jets for the pistons, the compression on the pistons and the head. The GE is one of the best motors to ever come out from toyota - better than any mr2 3sgte, 3sge, 7mge or te, 4age, on and on.

What about the 1UZ-FE? I've heard it has a forged crank and it's a 6-bolt main, but that's about it. Anybody have any detailed specs?

Matt
Old 06-21-03, 10:51 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very heavy duty also, six-bolt splayed mains, nicely webbed block, big oil pickup, the whole nine...
Old 06-21-03, 11:34 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

But is it all forged, oil jets in the rods, etc?

I was just reading about the record holding 2jz-GTE supra TT stock bottom end motor producing 900 + rwhp. It's for sale on ebay. That's very impressive. I'd like to see Chevy or Ford do that.
Old 06-21-03, 12:26 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

check these links out for more data on the 1uzfe, truly an impressive piece of engineering, IMHO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=1uzfe+inside

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...z&pagenumber=2

I'll find more and edit the post, somewhere there was pics of one opened up, it had hydro locked where some fool drove it into a pond.
Old 06-21-03, 12:56 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

whoa thanks bro! That was a lot of info. I sure as hell hope that a battle is started with V8 imports vs. domestic muscle. I just got out of hotrodded mustangs and before that, camaros. Out of my 3 LT1 z28s and 2 306 mustangs, most ran mid 12's on motor only. But, mind you, these are rude, crude, poor-behaviored racing machines. I will never cease to be amazed with the factory efforts Toyota engineers put into their cars. . .amazing. I just wish 1uz-FE and 2jz-GE brethren would get along ALL THE TIME. BTW. . .I found this link 1UZ-FE history.
It has some interesting stuff, I might make a post solely on its info.

Take care!

Matt
Old 06-21-03, 02:19 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sweetsc400
whoa thanks bro! That was a lot of info. I sure as hell hope that a battle is started with V8 imports vs. domestic muscle. I just got out of hotrodded mustangs and before that, camaros. Out of my 3 LT1 z28s and 2 306 mustangs, most ran mid 12's on motor only. But, mind you, these are rude, crude, poor-behaviored racing machines. I will never cease to be amazed with the factory efforts Toyota engineers put into their cars. . .amazing. I just wish 1uz-FE and 2jz-GE brethren would get along ALL THE TIME. BTW. . .I found this link 1UZ-FE history.
It has some interesting stuff, I might make a post solely on its info.

Take care!

Matt
Matt,

I really enjoyed that link, I hadn't seen that data before. Wow, 1 billion dollars in R&D, that is a serious investment. Must have something to do with why my engine, after 218,000 miles, still runs smooth as silk and has lots of power.

Rich
Old 06-21-03, 03:03 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Rich, I'm glad you liked the site. A lot of it seems to be same ol' stuff, but there's also some interesting tidbits like what you read. 218,000. . . that's a lot. I recently came across a 95 SC400 at an auction in Kansas City (where I live). It had 335,000 miles and I kid you not, it looked near new. It was a one-owner with all the service history. Impressive. I've got a question for you. I don't know how long you've owned your Lexus, but did you ever, during those 218,000 miles, have your valves adjusted? That seems to be the most major maintenance required by Lexus. They recommend having them adjusted every 125k. Mine are a bit clattery, but you can only hear them if you're by the front wheel wells or have the hood up. If you have had it done, what did it cost? Take care bud.

Matt
Old 06-21-03, 07:17 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I have some info on 1UZ. We have a special interest in the V8
Old 06-21-03, 07:55 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sweetsc400
Rich, I'm glad you liked the site. A lot of it seems to be same ol' stuff, but there's also some interesting tidbits like what you read. 218,000. . . that's a lot. I recently came across a 95 SC400 at an auction in Kansas City (where I live). It had 335,000 miles and I kid you not, it looked near new. It was a one-owner with all the service history. Impressive. I've got a question for you. I don't know how long you've owned your Lexus, but did you ever, during those 218,000 miles, have your valves adjusted? That seems to be the most major maintenance required by Lexus. They recommend having them adjusted every 125k. Mine are a bit clattery, but you can only hear them if you're by the front wheel wells or have the hood up. If you have had it done, what did it cost? Take care bud.

Matt
Matt,

335,000 That is a lot of miles, I wonder how the tranny was. I heard of a tranny being replaced in an SC400 here in Atlanta at 250,000 miles, but no internal engine issues ever.

I have only had the car for just over a year, I have put 20,000 miles on it. I have never had the valves adjusted, not sure if the prior owners did. The general consensus amongst salty old Lexus techs ( 5 years + hands on, I know a couple) is to only adjust based on the noise, not miles. If you can hear yours, it is probably due to be adjusted. On my car, there were no maintenance records from about 120,000, I think I had the factory timing belt replaced at 204,000, there was no evidence that anyone had ever had the cover off before. I have put a few thousand dollars into mine, not for stuff that was broken most of the time, just trying to make it like new. I wouldn't bother with any other car, but I think the engine and body integrity on these cars makes it legitmate to expect 500,000 miles plus. I expect to get many years out of it.

Oh, and definitely check out Lextreme's site, I was browsing through there and found a ton of good internal pics and specs on the lexus v8's. Thanks Lextreme! www.lextreme.com

Last edited by GA400; 06-21-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-21-03, 11:43 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Lextreme -

Thanks for the info. Ironically, I had just came across your site a few hours prior to your reply. The LS is awesome, it's just plain awesome that you're doin that (that stang looks nice too!). Good luck with everthing planned for the LS in the future, I'll be following your progress.

Rich -

Thanks for the info, sounds like you take good care of your car.