Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 11:19 PM
Shobbs008
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveshaft question

I'm going to be putting in an order for a one piece driveshaft from driftmotion, and they request a measurement from the transmission flange to the differential flange (without rubber isolators installed), and right now it would be incredibly difficult for me to get that measurement.
I could take it to a shop and have them measure it, but I thought I'd give here a shot first.
Does anybody know that measurement from previous experience, or are able to get it readily? I'd greatly appreciate any help.
(I drive a 1997 SC400 with the A340 transmission)
Old 04-09-18, 09:21 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your best bet is to get under the car and do the measurements as the slide piece needs to be fairly precise. I know that's not what you want to hear, but for the money you are going to spend, you are really going to want it to be as close to perfect as possible. I run a gte vvti with the a340 and mine was 52.5" using all urethane or solid mounts. Upon receiving my driveshaft from them, there is about another 1.5' of compression left in the driveshaft in case I measured the distance too short and to get it to install.
The following users liked this post:
Shobbs008 (04-09-18)
Old 04-09-18, 05:38 PM
Shobbs008
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Your best bet is to get under the car and do the measurements as the slide piece needs to be fairly precise. I know that's not what you want to hear, but for the money you are going to spend, you are really going to want it to be as close to perfect as possible. I run a gte vvti with the a340 and mine was 52.5" using all urethane or solid mounts. Upon receiving my driveshaft from them, there is about another 1.5' of compression left in the driveshaft in case I measured the distance too short and to get it to install.
I kind of figured that’s what I’d have to do ultimately. It’s just unfortunate because I’m in a position where it’s hard for me to get the car up high enough to get the measurement unless I go to a shop. But I appreciate your input of course!
Old 04-10-18, 09:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

It's very inconvenient, but I couldn't agree more. I had a company build a driveshaft for my mx73 cressida based on their measurements and it was not even close. I ended up having to pay a local shop to lengthen and re-balance. It'll be worth the hassle to get it right the first time! Next upgrade on my SC will be a one-piece unit as well.