Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery sign is on, and car smell like something is burn...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 11:17 AM
SC400866
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miketyler
SC400866 - thanks for the response, it is nasty weather here in Dallas and I have a Tundra I can drive in the meantime while I am getting parts. I would be interested in a copy of your interactive manual, mine is a paperback Haynes.

I havent been into it yet but I may be needing the large pigtail lead as well. Is that available as aftermarket product or is that a junkyard item or?

Has anyone got opinions on these Ebay sellers selling rebuilt pumps and alternators for SC's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7945543544

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7945630352
It is definitely a junkyard item. I have had good luck at a local Lexus/Toyota wrecker. I would check for one of those in your area.

I have had great luck finding a lot of my stuff on Ebay. And as far as the Ebayer’s go they both have great feedback ratings. My problem would be the time needed to exchange them if there were a problem. For a few dollars more I could just exchange them at the local Kragen or Napa unless, of course, it is really overpriced there.
Old 01-08-05, 05:39 PM
miketyler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather warmed up here today and got a chance to remove the alternator and pump. The plug in the back of the alternator was a pain to remove. I am as patient as anyone else but ended up damaging the plug housing trying to remove it. Then it was a battle getting the unit out. At first glance you would think you would have enough room to get that thing out......until you actually try to remove it. I ended up removing the coolant reservoir and disconnecting the upper radiator hose.

The power steering pump removed ok but I had to cut the upper pressure line as it was hardened and wouldn't come off of either end.

The large electrical lead on the alternator looks ok. I guess the fire I saw was alternators innards that was on fire the day of the incident.

Am still scoping out prices, will prob go with the Ebay peddlers unless anyone recommends somone else with a warranty in the same price range.
Attached Thumbnails Battery sign is on, and car smell like something is burn...-img_9058.jpg  
Old 02-10-05, 02:49 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator

hi this is george from stuttgart/germany. just received this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7948034997 with the extra shield. also i have put a used power steering pump from GAZI inside. lexus dealer installed both components for 250 US$ and recharged my battery in the meanwhile. result: battery sign off, steering much tighter than before - SC400 runs great!