Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Harmonic balancer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 11:56 AM
Dupaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer trouble

Hey guys, I'm having a problem. About a week ago, my crank pulley and balancer separated while I was driving and have been working on it all day today. I am at the point now where i have the new pulley / balancer on but its rubbing at the top of the balancer onto the timing cover. (2jzge) is it the wrong part? Is my thrust bearing gone? What's going on? I have removed and installed it 5 times and it keeps doing this. Any advice?
Old 07-09-18, 12:07 PM
Dupaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In addition

To add to my claim above, the balancer seems to be sitting flush on the crank, but the top of the balancer is still rubbing
Old 07-09-18, 12:58 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you remove the crank gear when you changed the balancer? If so, maybe you put the ring( I think it's called timing rotor or something) that's behind the crank gear on facing the wrong direction. I thought that I read somewhere that if you did that, the pulley would rub on the cover. I could definitely be completely wrong lol, just throwing out ideas. Is your balancer oem? Either way good luck, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in and help you out.
Old 07-09-18, 05:55 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Ok so I had trouble with mine on the race car last month. First, is it rubbing solid or is it wobbling and rubbing in just one place each rotation? Do you have the timing belt gear guide on in place between the timing belt gear and the harmonic balancer? This is like a thin washer that guides or keeps the timing belt in place. Where did you order the replacement harmonic balancer from? Check out the last page of my race car build thread linked in my sig I have a pic of old vs replacement timing gear that had worn and was making my harmonic balancer wobble and hit the timing belt cover. I have ordered one of the aftermarket harmonic balancers and the fit was much too loose fit on the crank, needs to be tight fit that bumps on not just slides on. I just order another aftermarket and eventually one fits tight enough. Most of them do ok.

Last edited by RXRodger; 07-09-18 at 06:01 PM.