Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

This seems to be sononomous with my dear SC400, but it doesn't start sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 12:34 PM
Aniyah87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This seems to be sononomous with my dear SC400, but it doesn't start sometimes...

I love this car, wanted one since i was a kid and owned the first edition HotWheels version. recently acquired a 92 SC400 with a custom chameleon paint job, albeit a little rough now, she still gets compliments, that is when it starts. sometimes it will start fine, but if i make more than 1 trip, when I come back to start her up..... starter initiates, yet no turn over.... I've replaced the fuel-pump, the alternator, recharged the battery with a deep-cycle , stand alone charger, and still no go. I used to notice it would start after a while of sitting and it would be a little hesitant at first but it did, gradually begin to start. not sure what could be the issue but I've waited most of my life for this car and once i get her to STAY ON, I plan to free up her breathing with an X pipe and tanabe cat-back mufflers, could you help me figure it out?
Old 07-15-18, 01:37 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of vague, but it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. could be the IACV, or less likely, the fuel ump ecu (could be on its way out)
Old 07-15-18, 01:53 PM
Aniyah87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xCWolf
Kind of vague, but it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. could be the IACV, or less likely, the fuel ump ecu (could be on its way out)
Cool, any input is appreciated, I'll order the parts and see what gives
Old 07-15-18, 01:56 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my suggestion would be to remove the IACV and clean it and see if there is any difference before ordering parts. you could get lucky and it could work with just a cleaning. sounds a bit similar to the issue I had when I got mine but I'll run down what I did in my 93 that was sitting for 3 years.

IACV replacement
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
fuel pump ECU.
Drained gas tank

Those were all the things it needed after sitting I fixed a bunch more stuff and replaced a couple things that may have not needed it but thats what worked.
The following users liked this post:
Aniyah87 (07-15-18)
Old 07-15-18, 02:07 PM
jbtvt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Circuit opening relay, if no fuel maybe? Crank it with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up or a line cracked and rag handy, if pressure, then crank it with a spark plug removed and grounded to a metal surface and see if you're getting spark.
The following users liked this post:
Aniyah87 (07-15-18)
Old 07-15-18, 02:30 PM
Aniyah87
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, gonna try that once i get home from work!!!
Old 07-16-18, 01:59 PM
jbtvt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the 1UZ use a VAFM or MAF in 92? It's OBD1? No check engine light on? Not too familiar with the earlier models of this engine. Could also be a capacitor issue if you're getting fuel, or even if you're not perhaps, check the 500 page thread on here about that.