Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tex's Headers on US sc400

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 11:46 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
I got the TC, but people give me dirty looks when I'm chirping the tires and the car starts roaring from light to light

and your point is........?!?!?!?
Old 11-19-03, 07:52 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

jbrady,

after some testing this week, i have definitely lost power on the low end but I have gained in the high end. The butt meter is definitely telling me I'm pulling harder in the 3000+ range and the butt meter is also telling me im having a harder time keeping up with traffic in the lower rpm range.

Ah well, but who drives the 1/4 mile at 2000 rpm anyways?
VL, Sorry for the delay in response... I have been very busy this year and not doing near enough car stuff

Anyway, your imput on the Tex headers effect on low-mid RPM torque/power is appreciated and is what I expected (hence the reason for my asking). As I see it the problem is that the tube diameter is too large and the merge areas too large. Because of this and multiple other factors I have begun the process of getting some real street manifold/headers built for our Lexus V8 cars. I have also been working with the CL staff to get a GB going and everyone can expect to see it here within a week.

The stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. 1990-1997 are the worst with 1998+ cars being slightly better but still poor. It is obvious that better flowing manifolds are needed for true performance. ALL designs have compromises so the challenge is to pick the best design for the application. In my opinion the best design for the Lexus V8 automobiles is a High Flow high Velocity, Scavenging short runner exhaust manifold with merge collectors. aka: HFVS Shorty Headers.

Look for the GB soon with much more information. Interested parties are welcome to PM me but until the CL actually posts the GB I do not want to jump the gun.
Old 11-19-03, 08:17 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jbrady
VL, Sorry for the delay in response... I have been very busy this year and not doing near enough car stuff

Anyway, your imput on the Tex headers effect on low-mid RPM torque/power is appreciated and is what I expected (hence the reason for my asking). As I see it the problem is that the tube diameter is too large and the merge areas too large. Because of this and multiple other factors I have begun the process of getting some real street manifold/headers built for our Lexus V8 cars. I have also been working with the CL staff to get a GB going and everyone can expect to see it here within a week.

The stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. 1990-1997 are the worst with 1998+ cars being slightly better but still poor. It is obvious that better flowing manifolds are needed for true performance. ALL designs have compromises so the challenge is to pick the best design for the application. In my opinion the best design for the Lexus V8 automobiles is a High Flow high Velocity, Scavenging short runner exhaust manifold with merge collectors. aka: HFVS Shorty Headers.

Look for the GB soon with much more information. Interested parties are welcome to PM me but until the CL actually posts the GB I do not want to jump the gun.
cant wait for the headers
Old 11-21-03, 08:17 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lord of the Celsiors
cant wait for the headers
Eric, check with DaveGS4 as he has the GB copy. As soon as we get 10 or more interested people here on CL the project is on.

Old 12-27-03, 06:47 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*cough* *cough* theres NO WAY AT ALL THAT THIS WOULD FIT ON LS400'S is there??? i know it been asked but is there a way?
Old 01-20-04, 10:23 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, we only have 2 cats.
That 3rd one isn't a cat but a resonator of some sort.

It is a cat on California cars.
Old 01-21-04, 07:45 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 SC400 is not a California car, but it still has third cat.

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-21-04 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 09:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisK
My 95 SC400 is not a California car, but it still has third cat.
Chris, just because your car was not sold in California does not mean it was not California certified. You may find something to this effect on an underhood sticker somewhere. Otherwise... I am not sure what to tell you. Are you also certain the center part is a catalyst and not a resonator?

Here is the diagram of the CA exhaust with a 3rd cat

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=403896

Here are the diagrams of the 49 state exhaust with 2 cats only

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=403900

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=403903
Old 01-21-04, 01:20 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jbrady,

Definitely looks like mine is the CA exhaust with a 3rd cat. On top of it, I did cut the exhaust pipe right behind the 3rd cat/resonator, actually an exhaust place did, to find out that it is the 3rd cat. I guess I could try to read all the labels and see if any of them mentions anything about CA.