Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

to vvti or not to vvti?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 07:13 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to vvti or not to vvti?

My 96 cali spec sc300 has 200k miles on the engine. When it was parked 2+ years ago it either ran perfectly one day or horribly the next, you never knew how it was going to behave hence it was parked. Best guess is it is wiring, fuel, or sensor related because when it ran good it was amazing, but you couldn't trust it as when it was bad, it was hardly drivable.

I came across an extremely low mileage vvti engine and I was curious if it is close enough to make it worth while. I've read that the rods in the vvti are not sturdy and need to be replaced, but other than it being vvti, I don't know if it is worth doing and I'm looking for advice. I do not want to run an aftermarket ecu as I already have virtually every part needed for the jdm na-t setup and can't justify the $ needed to start all of that over again.

Would it just be a matter of taking the rods out of my current engine, getting new bearings and putting them into the vvti and calling it good, or is there more involved that I am not aware of?

I do of course have the tt head gasket, arp studs and every part possibly needed to go na-t already.

The only reason I am asking is if this works, I would have a virtually new engine for a very cheap price if there are not a bunch of other costs and parts needed.
Old 09-03-18, 05:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by scblackout

Would it just be a matter of taking the rods out of my current engine, getting new bearings and putting them into the vvti and calling it good, or is there more involved that I am not aware of?

vvti engine wiring harness different (even some minor body / engine bay wiring need to be done) , stock ECUs are different between vvti and non vvti (can't use your older stock ECU) , timing gear s , non vvti pistons will be better and some other small things
Old 09-03-18, 08:54 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gerrb
Yeah, I was thinking there was more to it than I mentioned. A local sale showed up for a brand new 2jz vvti crate engine at a very low price and was somewhat hoping it would be a viable option. That is the best part about this website, always saving me from spending money on bad decisions.