Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Urethane bushing insert for R154 W58 transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 12:10 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Urethane bushing insert for R154 W58 transmission mount

Years ago I bought a brand new W58 trans mount. Now almost 10 years later, the mount is still in good shape visually but I've been debating replacing it with something stiffer and more performance oriented.
I know people with the Megan engine mounts but I don't know anyone with the trans mount *yet*.
Until I decide what direction I'm going to go (Megan, Xcessive manufacturing, something else - Japanese?) I decided on buying this from RHDJapan and seeing how it works for the time being.

Kunny'z transmission mount collar
Advertized for the JZZ30/JZX90/JZX100 (R154)
About $58 on RHDJapan when I bought it this past spring.
It's a urethane bushing insert that goes in the voids of the R154 trans mount (tripod and non-tripod).

I have a 97 SC300 with the W58 tripod. I know from research that the W58 tripod and the R154 tripod transmissions use the same mount. So in theory... this bushing was going to work on my W58

*AND IT DID*
Install was a breeze. All I did was jack up the trans and unbolt the crossmember. The bushing just slid in the gap.
Bolted everything back up.

Results
I've had it installed on my car for about 2.5 months now. I like it. I've noticed over the years that the trans does move around a bit even with my Kazama engine mounts. The nature of the OEM trans mount is that it absorbs vibrations but it is designed to move a bit. So over time it naturally starts to move more left-to-right. If you've ever looked at the mount, when they are brand new the trans is lifted by the mount but over time it will sag onto the "block" part that sits inbetween the supports. That is normal. This bushing fits within here and stops the sagging completely while also preventing the trans from moving around as much. I notice a lot less shifter movement while in gear now when driving over bumps and rough pavement.

Notes
I can confirm this will fit 100% on tripod W58s (1995-1997). I am not sure if it will work with older W58s but I don't see why it wouldn't. It works on older R154s and those came in zenki Soarers, so I don't see how the older SC300 W58 mounts can be all that different from those.
Hopefully from these picts people will be able to make that decision themselves. Otherwise, maybe in a year or two I'll be able to test this on a friend's car with an older W58 and report back.

Pics

The bushing, instructions and the packaging it came in

Installed

Old 12-19-19, 03:02 AM
oemplusmor
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you four taking the time to do this detailed review and contributing to the SC community.
The following users liked this post:
1997Soarer (12-19-19)