Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Where to get MKIV Supra front clip these days

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 04:02 PM
dmora
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SinisterSC
If you're gettin a 2JZ-GTE from japan, it may be tempting to get a newer motor. but do not get a VVTi motor. They are garbaage when turbo'd. They don't hold as much as the no variable motors and are harder to tune
You have no clue what u are talking about, do you.
Old 07-30-03, 06:34 PM
T51R
Pole Position

well VVTi is never been hard to tune or anything.. only problem was on vvit was that there was no cams available for those vvit.. however, the HKS released the cams timming controller, which can control the cams timming, also they have a cams comming up soon...

vvit can make as much power as non vvti, plus if you going to keep it as just a BPU, then vvti is alot faster than non vvit.... it has been proofed on option magazine at japan....

Good engine
Old 07-30-03, 06:53 PM
dmora
Rookie

The cam's are basically identical. People put different cams in either OBD1 or OBD2(VVTi) engines with no problem. Its not like 97-98 Supras are unable to use upgraded cams.

Originally posted by T51R
well VVTi is never been hard to tune or anything.. only problem was on vvit was that there was no cams available for those vvit.. however, the HKS released the cams timming controller, which can control the cams timming, also they have a cams comming up soon...

vvit can make as much power as non vvti, plus if you going to keep it as just a BPU, then vvti is alot faster than non vvit.... it has been proofed on option magazine at japan....

Good engine
Old 07-30-03, 07:59 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Supratt85
Theres a guy out here in Chicago who just crashed his 6 Speed MKIV, it has damage but i think you could easily part out everything out of there, if you want i can get you his info, or you can go onto Supraforums.com and look it up under the for sale section
Who would that person be if you don't mind? I'll be in need of a clutch, cylinder, and pedal assembly soon.

Chris
Old 07-31-03, 07:57 AM
5speed300
Pole Position

The cam's are basically identical. People put different cams in either OBD1 or OBD2(VVTi) engines with no problem. Its not like 97-98 Supras are unable to use upgraded cams.
Maybe I am wrong but I didnt think that any US spec 2JZ-GTEs came with VVTI. Even if they were OBDII
Old 07-31-03, 10:42 AM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 5speed300
Maybe I am wrong but I didnt think that any US spec 2JZ-GTEs came with VVTI. Even if they were OBDII
You are correct the only vvti supras were 98 non turbos.
Old 07-31-03, 11:03 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by AzLex
You are correct the only vvti supras were 98 non turbos.
Are you sure?

I belive there were not VVTI Supras in US (both turbo and n/a). I do belive cars such as the SC300 in mind 97 started coming with VVTI and 5 speed automatic tranny. I also belive there were both turbo and non-turbo supras in Japan with VVTI starting 98. I may have the years wrong but I do belive there were no VVTI Supras in US.

Chris
Old 07-31-03, 12:53 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Theres a guy on supraforums who has I think a 98 VVTI NA supra.
Old 07-31-03, 01:17 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by 5speed300
Theres a guy on supraforums who has I think a 98 VVTI NA supra.
... it's posible he swapped it in ... or perhaps he really did get one like that. One thing is for sure VVTi SC300 is slower, perhaps same applys to Supra.

I'm buying a JDM Supra front clip with 6 speed transmission this month. Total price wil be 4500 bucks. I specifically avoid VVTi engines simply because I don't want something that too much different from US spec.

Chris
Old 07-31-03, 08:19 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
... it's posible he swapped it in ... or perhaps he really did get one like that. One thing is for sure VVTi SC300 is slower, perhaps same applys to Supra.

I'm buying a JDM Supra front clip with 6 speed transmission this month. Total price wil be 4500 bucks. I specifically avoid VVTi engines simply because I don't want something that too much different from US spec.

Chris
Good price what shop did you go through
Old 07-31-03, 08:29 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by AzLex
Good price what shop did you go through
It's closer to you than me, but I will keep it secret for now.

Chris
Old 08-01-03, 04:10 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

whats the point of keeping it a secret. we come on here to swap info to help each other out yet you can't tell us where you bought your motor from? im not trying to flame you or anything but i just think its childish..."imma keep it a secret" . if everyone kept everyhting a secret than the board or any other board wouldn't even exist. anyways diffrence between the usdm and jdm motors are the turbos, cams, injectors, and map sensor instead of maf (us).
Old 08-01-03, 04:32 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by 5spdSC300
whats the point of keeping it a secret. we come on here to swap info to help each other out yet you can't tell us where you bought your motor from? im not trying to flame you or anything but i just think its childish..."imma keep it a secret" . if everyone kept everyhting a secret than the board or any other board wouldn't even exist. anyways diffrence between the usdm and jdm motors are the turbos, cams, injectors, and map sensor instead of maf (us).
Sorry, I should have explained it more. I haven't bought the clip yet. I am finalizing plans for the swap right now and on monday I will put down a deposit for the parts. So I want to make sure there is a motor for me.

Chris
Old 08-05-03, 01:58 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by 5spdSC300
Okay, I just ordered the front clip and put a deposit. I ordered my clip from SP Engineering in CA. They're asking about 4500 bucks for the clip. I will be paying about 800 bucks for the shipping, so together it would be 5300 bucks. Sorry for not mentioning it in the first place. I had to make sure I get in line for the clip.

Chris
Old 08-05-03, 01:59 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

JDM ARISTO front clips are about 1/2 the cost of a Supra clip
use the extra money for wish list stuff

Quick Reply: Where to get MKIV Supra front clip these days