Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heater hose fitting/ Union bolt leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 09:43 PM
kizzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose fitting/ Union bolt leaking coolant

Hello CL,

I am at a loss on trying to figure out why my coolant keeps leaking at the heater hose connected to the back of the engine. This starting happening after changing the valve cover gaskets, cleaning throttle body, changing spark plugs, cleaning intake manifold.Once I had finished putting everything back together and started the car it started leaking a lot of coolant. I found where it was leaking and decided to replace the heater hose from Autozone and buy new coolant. Once I replaced the hose and added coolant, same thing happens and keeps leaking where it goes to the engine. I thought I might've not tighten the clamp enough and that is not the case. After trying numerous times/ hours trying to tighten the clamp. It leaks constantly. Everytime I reclamp it, I add water to the radiator and it starts leaking without starting the car. So I decided to buy another hose from Advanced auto and same thing occurs. I am not sure if the heater hose fitting is damaged and if it is how do I fix it/ replace it. It also looks like the fitting is kind of bent back towards the firewall. Please help. Thanks.

This is for a 1995 Lexus sc300 5 speed stock
Old 11-11-18, 07:34 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine was leaking too but a new hose did fix mine. If it seems like the metal tube is pushed towards the firewall it could be damaged and leaking from the actual copper tube(that's what i think it is) that your rubber hose goes on. It is possible to damage it from over tightening the clamp too. I think it deforms the metal and makes it really hard to get a seal.

I would try to get a better view of whats going on with the heater hose off. You could try to braze or weld it to fix the metal pipe if its leaking but you would need some space.

Might have to remove the engine and get a good look and some space to work. You could try to braze or weld it to fix the metal pipe if its leaking but you would need some space.

Last edited by scsexy; 11-11-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 01:35 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sometimes the actual tube that comes out of heater control valve rots and it will leak, I don’t know if that’s what it is, but check that plastic by pulling off the hose make sure it’s all solid and no cracks!
Old 11-11-18, 01:38 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Check this hose connection too small tube hat comes off the heater pipe
Old 11-13-18, 12:26 PM
kizzle
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply. I am going to check that copper piece but I'm pretty sure its leaking from the back top aluminum tube. I ordered a new union/tube but trying to see how I'm going to remove and install it without taking out the engine. And also I noticed when I took off the old heater hose it had the plastic wrapped at the end but my was brittle and broke wasn't sure if that had to be installed along with the new tube. I will check it out today and see what's going on. Thanks
Old 11-14-18, 08:04 AM
kizzle
Driver School Candidate

So it is leaking from the top tube. Is it possible to use some jb weld or will I have problems in the future?
Old 12-22-18, 11:03 AM
kizzle
Driver School Candidate

So I finally had some time to work on it and I'm having a hard time removing the union that the heater hose attaches to. Does anyone know how to remove this I picked up the new part from Toyota and asked him if he knew how to remove it he told to crush it but with the limited space its not easy. I already removed the valve covers again. Please let me know if there is an easy way to remove it. Here is a pic. Thanks

Old 12-27-18, 09:57 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

I wouldn’t remove that pipe at all, unless it’s leaking( not common)9, that goes to your heater core, if you don’t want your heater to work just plug it with a cap and put a clamp on it, also remove the metal coolant pipe that goes along the side of the block and install a coolant bypass block off plate. (You either have to either fab it or cut your pipe then Fab a block off plate from it).