Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR Block-Off Plate Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 07:06 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just plain nuts... 630hp on an ultralite? You guys have a death wish? Hanging one off each wing... I'd love (hate) to see what happens when one engine goes out at full throttle. You'd need a rudder the size of Idaho to keep the yaw in check.

Just sounds like a death trap to me. I'll stick to more modest (and certified) stuff. Thinking of buying a 177RG - low insurance, 145kts, good performance at altitude, holds whole family (1000lbs useful), under $100k... 182RG is too expensive, 201 is too small. Our club has a 201 though -- a fun plane.
Old 07-31-03, 12:06 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He used to have to VW engines on the thing, and they were damn near impossible to sync together, as well as heavy as hell. It is a sea-plane too, so the engines were on top next to each other. He had a kit plane and was going to use the engines in that; in a push pull config, but that became an ignition nightmare, so we put them on his sea-ultralight.....(theres a specific name for the thing, but I forgot).

You also have to remember that those things aren't the most aero dynamic (or graceful) things to fly, so the extra hp allowed a vertical climb after a stall has been initiated (why nose down when you can throttle up?!?!?!). It also gave the aircraft a more normal [airplane] response to an ultralight. If you are into rollercoasters...you'd love to fly the thing. No more worrying about tail winds, and you also have to keep in mind that the torque band is not the greatest, so the reponse isn't immediate [especially at cruising speeds] but it is obviously a lot different than the underpowered engines you normally put in those things. Plus ignition advance is locked out, so goosing it just isn't the same. It is just a very reliable and powerful toy. Plus, if you understand rotaries, if you ever reach the max power, youre probably doing something wrong anyway...especially in the air (remember no clutch)! That gear reducer would fly right off the excentric shaft...not to mention what would happen to the prop at that rpm. Trust me, the dyno sounds worse than it really is. That peak power is in the upper rpm's, which it normally wouldn't see under daily use....plus the ignition box's do have limiters. Good times though! The hardest thing was keeping it quiet!

See ya-
Old 08-02-03, 11:12 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back on topic, but you can block off the egr system at the valve with a 50 cent, steel expansion plug. There's a good post on SF explaining how to do it with plug sizes (Pep Boys) and part numbers.

-scott