Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 gearbox rebuild - parts question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 08:42 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts
Default W58 gearbox rebuild - parts question

Hello!

My 97 Supra W58 gearbox have vibrations in the 3rd and 5th gear. i read, this is a problem on this gearboxes with many miles. to rebuild is no problem, my friend have in his shop enough tools to do this.

i found several kits of bearings in ebay.com. Had someone experiences with this kits? My syncros all fine. Or better to buy the bearing from Toyota?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEARING-KIT...M1p:rk:22:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexu...frcectupt=true

thanks for any input!

greets

Tom

Last edited by Boergy; 12-30-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-05-19, 06:27 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I rebuilt a couple of these transmissions for my 92 SC3 that I road race, I had marginal results mostly due to my lack of experience. But I learned a lot. The one I am currently running was rebuilt by a fellow SC racer who had good experience with them. Your biggest challenge is the special tooling you will have to make to pull the gears. I saw nothing wrong with the kits I used which were similar to the links you listed, the parts were not the problem with my failed rebuilds. I feel like most of my issues were related to running a welded diff which sent serious shocks through the drivetrain. Look very closely at the condition of the counter gear and mating input gear. That is where a lot of issues have originated on mine. You state your syncros are fine, but make sure they have the proper clearance remaining and replace if they are below minimums or you will just have to open it back up in a few years. Also check all of the shift fork clearances. Minor wear as little as 0.5mm can cause bad shifts or coming out of gear issues.

Puller for 5th gear that I had to make.

Do you have the W58 rebuild manual which gives all instructions, specifications, and clearances for the transmission? If not, I can forward the pdf file I have if you want it. It is very helpful, has easy to follow instructions.

Good luck.

Last edited by RXRodger; 01-05-19 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 01:01 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Hello!

Thanks for your infos! i have the manual for the W58 with swan neck shifter, not for the the mk.IV with tripod. I think the minimal different, or?