Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SuperCharger Kit and New Mods- Excitement!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03 | 02:11 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

hi i know this is going to sound stupid, but when you say cams do yuo mean cam gears? camshaft? or what do you mean? and if yuo mean just cam, what does a cam do? thank you
Old 08-07-03 | 02:42 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Cam Shafts

Ryan
Old 08-07-03 | 09:10 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

basically camshafts open and close the intake and exhaust valves. usually u can gain hp and tq by installing cams with more aggressive lobe profiles.
Old 08-07-03 | 10:35 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

sweet!! looks like ill have to save up for those, more over time working at bed bath and beyond!
Old 08-07-03 | 11:06 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Have to be careful...Remember, I am not selling anything at this time.

Ryan
Old 08-08-03 | 05:11 AM
Keith13b
Racer

For the layman...cams alter the duration of time that the intake and exhaust valves stay open/closed. This allows for more air to enter the cylinder and regulates the amount of time the mixture is allowed to burn, then opens the exhaust to release the expanded gases.

Altering these times will generally improve power within a certain rpm range. Meaning you can make gobbs of torque down low, but you limit your top end power......or you can sacrifice low end power for mid to high rpm power. Too high of a band means you loose the intake vaccum and your idle goes to ***** and lose your power steering and brakes. So finding the cam to fit your needs is key. There is no universal "perfect cam". Everything depends on what you have on the car and what you want/expect from the car.

It sounds like Ryan is having Crane make some cams built to the needs of a supercharged 1UZ. And I'm grossly assuming a mid/high cam. If your car is NA, then you need to closly look at the lift duration of the cams to see if you need that range for your NA car. As thses cams may/may not be suitable for both N/A and S/C engines. But until they come out......we will just have to wait.

I know Peter Scott has installed cams in his car, so if anyone has questions, you might want to shoot him or Ryan a PM.
Old 08-08-03 | 01:24 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I had a chance to meet up with Ryan today for breakfast (Orlanda, Florida). I hand delivered the cams to him. Nice guy and good person to deal with. I highly recommend him to you guys and he is full of resources. Especially the EFI supercharged product. He is crazy about Lexus as everyone else in here.

David
Old 08-08-03 | 07:21 PM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by Lextreme
I highly recommend him to you guys and he is full of resources. Especially the EFI supercharged product.
David
does this mean he's going to distribute the efi dynamics supercharger/do the stateside fitting?

or just pattern his supercharger after efi?
Old 08-11-03 | 05:42 AM
Keith13b
Racer

I think a little bit of both; but ask him directly. The Austrailian kit will have issues with the US ECU, since they use different gas, so its probably the Aus. SC kit but a new ecu mod. The ecu will be required to run on US octane gas. But again- ask Ryan.

Lextreme- you should have let me know you were in town- I would have loved to hook up with you guys.

For what its worth, I have spoken to Ryan multiple times at length about the SC kit and cams. He is very passionate about the product, and feels confident that it will work (as do I). He knows what he needs to do to win over everyones trust and respect, and has enough CL members in the loop to keep him reputable. He will get this done, he will have dyno results, and he will have a successful kit sometime soon. We all want this right now, but Ryan needs to get everything worked out first, then document everything, then release the kit. He will have different stages (and the set of cams) to make different Hp levels. He is working with Crane (very well know cam company) to make the cams for the 1UZ. Ryan will not jump the gun here, which makes me feel good. Ryan has opened up this project to let me see whats going on. I'll be happy to do a write up as the kit progress and I get to see the results. This will be a very well thought out kit. It will not be a cheap re-sell of someone elses kit; but a well planned and researched and tested S/C with some room to play (cams, etc.). It will be properly tested and tuned. He has a lot of time and money already invested into it. But please keep in mind that a reliable kit doesn't jump out of a cracker jack box. It takes $$ to make it work. Please be assured that the cost of the kit is a reflection of the quality and reliability that it will provide, as Ryan isn't out to become rich over this. He is making a CUSTOM kit for our cars.....all the way down to matching cams and everything, if you chose to go that far. He wants a S/C kit as bad as I do, and has the *****, resources, and desire to make it happen. He has my respect and encouragement throughout this whole process and I will offer any assistance that he might need throughout the project. I wish him the best of luck. His kit will be a reality, please wait!

Keith
Old 08-11-03 | 07:35 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Keith:

I could not have said it better- to this current email, and the way you so accurately described the workings of cam shafts.

One note on camshafts- people who want to keep their cars normally aspirated will want a different camshaft than those who apply forced induction. For that reason, two different sets of camshafts would be the only correct solution. D

Keith is correct- I have already invested some serious cash. I am continuing. I have remained rather muted lately because I do not wish to step on CL's rules for contact on this Forum. If you all have followed this thread closely, you will know that a few of my comments have been edited, and rightfully so. I really cannot discuss any further details at this time because it would be viewed as selling- something I cannot do on this Forum until I am CL approved, and the kit is currently being tweaked.

Thanks to you all for your patience.

Altstadt :
Old 08-11-03 | 08:48 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Just get a dyno of the camshafts before the supercharge is installed and I think many of us will be happy.
Old 08-11-03 | 11:31 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

off topic..

Keith,

I did not know you were interested in hooking up. Ryan and I had breakfast (Cracker Berrels) or somthing like that. Spelling is wrong for sure. We dont have that resturant in Cali. We talked alots about the Lexus and test drove his car.

That car is smooth and awesome. Love the rims...... Maybe next year when I down in Orlando area we can hook up. If u r in LA area, you are welcome to go for a ride my Twin Turbo. This is what i dont understand:

1. Toll Roads: What is up with that. Damn got to pay enter and exiting....
2. T-Storm and rain: Rains everyday at around 4 pm
3. Chinese Food: The worst chinese food in LA is better than the best in Orlando.

Other than that.... hot humid and lots of fun....... U know the disney deal with my kids.
Old 08-11-03 | 12:15 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Very off topic......

Yes, Toll roads do suck! Several $'s each way to work, but it's either that or city traffic with traffic lights strategically placed every 10 feet ...... or you can take the interstate....and enjoy a nice wait in the I-4 parking lot while you spend your time watching the rust form on the bumper of the car in front of you, but you can also enjoy the numbing feeling of the flashing blinkies from the miles and miles of construction (who apparently won the lowest bid with the slowest workers). But by the time you get home, you will just have to turn around and go back to work......so your stuck paying!!!

T-storms. Ahh good old Orlando- Right smack in the center of the state, which just so happens to be where the two opposing sea breezes always seem to collide and gives us or 5 o'clock news. Yes, our news is always weather related. Half the news is about the approaching/forming storms, and the other half is about the damage caused by the storm (fallen trees/power lines, billboards that fell, flooding, hail damage- you name it). But you can almost set your watch to the storms. Just looking out the window, you can tell what time it is just by the approacing clowds, the terrential downpour, or the clear skies and wet ground. Just wait till we have a Hurricane aimed at us. Fun stuff!

Chinese food- you're right; thats why we stick to Tai!!!!!!! Many good Tai places.

Also, I can't believe thay don't have a Cracker Barrel in Cali- they are everywhere around here. No lie- every major exit off the interstate has one. Decent food (a little pricy, but its always consistant no matter where you go). Give us a shout out if you come to Orlando again- I'm always open to meeting new people-

See ya'.

Keith
Old 08-11-03 | 04:15 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Off Topic:

Yeah Keith, is there even one good Chinese restaurant in Orlando. I miss the Chinese food in Hawaii, my native country.

Altstadt
Old 08-11-03 | 06:03 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Supercharger cams are different to naturally aspirated cams. There is not much point testing supercharger cams on a dyno before the supercharger goes on - testing them after the supercharger goes on would be much more helpful.
Often supercharger cams have less overlap. Modern EFI engines tend to have very mild overlap anyway with standard cams.
But 50 hp naturally aspirated cams may not work well with a supercharger - both configurations have there own specific needs.
Biggest hp increase I have seen on a naturally aspirated SC400 is headers, two cars with big intake and big exhausts both got an extra 13 hp at the wheels with just headers (mine and Barry's). Easily the best value horsepower increase for you buck.

Quick Reply: SuperCharger Kit and New Mods- Excitement!!!