Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SuperCharger Kit and New Mods- Excitement!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 06:42 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Peter:

I agree. Cams that work with NA cars will probably not work well with FI modded cars. The best way to get HP and torque is to work on the exhaust- getting the air out as quiclky as possible, not the intake. The cams for the FI will not be ready until after the FI is in and can be dynoed.

Cams for the NA car should only bought by the person who plans to keep their car that way, because if they later change to FI, they will have wasted a lot of money. Agreed, much better bang for the buck is a good set of extractors with the properly sized pipeing- not too big, or will lose power.

Also, for all of you that plan FI, you will need to replace your LSD with the Torsen LSD from the Supra- only swap out the center piece, keep the same ratios. Dyno your car, then order the proper stall times for the Re-built TC. This should give you max torque and power to the wheels.

Altstadt
Old 08-11-03, 07:09 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reckon with a positive displace blower you can get away without a high stall converter.
N/a cars with cams and turbo cars that need revs to make power do well with a high stall converter or modified torque converter.
But with an Eaton bolted on you get big torque gains - %40 increase in torque - from only 900 rpm - there is no waiting for torque to build like turbo or hot cam N/a - it's all there from the start.
Trans oil cooler would be an idea - they are cheap. LSD of some kind for more traction, esp. booting it out of corners - stock open wheeler is controllable though.
Check out this graph with a stock SC400 and an Eaton blower bolted on. It's not the peak power number that interests me the most (% increase is typical) - it's the big torque increase down low - this is what presses you back in the seat.
Once you have that Eaton bolted on to your SC400 the whole painful slow to take off Mr Sluggish feeling will be no more.
The US ECU uses signals from the knock sensors to adjust timing. Same as the Jspec ECU. So if your stuck with bad fuel the ECU will look after the engine. The stock ecu looks to be surprisingly good (if a little conservative) at running the engine with the blower. I would have no trouble bolting an Eaton to an engine with stock ecu. At 6psi there is plenty of fuel capacity and ECU won't let engine destroy itself. It would be nice to get a custom tune ecu and play around - but I've driven Andy's Eaton SC400 with stock ECU and stock headers!!! and it is grin city. He drove it for 6 months like this too carefully checking this and that - it passed.
So the worst you will ever get with an Eaton is the attached graph - the worst. It is on the world's lowest powered SC400 for a start (the Jspec UZZ32 with suspension pump), has stock headers, has stock ecu and is running conservative boost and is running a cut and shut manifold - not the new fancy cast manifold.
But check out that torque increase! - take off from the lights with the satisfying press in the back as the SC400 surges strongly - it's gonna be great............

http://www.planetsoarer.com/supercha...al/JimRoal.htm
Attached Thumbnails SuperCharger Kit and New Mods- Excitement!!!-blowerdyno.gif  
Old 09-17-03, 12:25 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Just an update. The Supercharger Kit will be installed on my SC400 during the first two weeks of October 2003. I will post the pics of the kit, the installation and the before and after dynos. Should be a great read.

The machining of the intake is complete, and ready for production. My car is the final Test car. As alrady posted, it is ready for FI. Compression is excellent- all cylinders test between 190 psi and 201 psi. TB and associated pulleys are all changed, new water pump, new PS pump, reservoir and switch. Ready to go...

Keep checking back, it's coming...

Altstadt
Old 09-17-03, 08:15 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

how does it feel with the changes so far? far from stock? rougher idle? vibrations from the motor? hard tranny shifts? any noises?,and if so,from where?
Old 09-17-03, 11:20 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

It is not on my car yet, but on all the prototypes, it has been like stock, smooth as ever. The blower whine is very nominal, and hardly perceptible at normal throttle. You do hear a slight whine at WOT, but it is quite pleasant sounding. Kind of a surprising warning to the unexpected drivers next to you. HEH, HEH, HEH,HEH!
Old 09-17-03, 11:27 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Ryan,,

Forget the dyno, forget the installation.... just give some pictures of your car doing burn out need to a Mustang....LOL...... Love to see FI 1UZFE smoke other "sport" cars....
Old 09-17-03, 12:30 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This wait is killing me!
Old 09-17-03, 12:59 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

David, if I don't do the dyno and the pics, nobody will believe me. But, I will give you a bonus, I will race a Mustang, and film it for viewing. I have several friends with Mustangs...LOL

Keith, it has been a long time in coming, but, it is almost here...
When I have the whole kit all assembled at my garage, before install, do you want to come over and see it? Hell, you can come visit during the install if you want. Let me know...

Altstadt
Old 09-17-03, 01:01 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

BTW, David, I have friends with BMW's as well, and Acura CLs...This is gonna get fun!!!

Ryan
Old 09-17-03, 07:10 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Dyno results, installation, parts and other info will be posted in www.lextreme.com/rya.htm
Old 09-18-03, 04:48 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

525 crank hp?

Im sorry but you expect to get 275 ADDED crank HP out of the 1uz-fe off of 6lbs of boost?

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE 420RWHP off of 6psi

.....raising the B.S. flag.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-18-03 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 05:09 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Hey n20:

Nobody stated that much HP from a simple Supercharger Kit running 5 lbs of boost. That's ridiculous. That number is more realistically attainable with adding the SC Kit, Headers, Catbacks, Custom cams, bigger injectors, torque converter, shift kit, and Flash ECU mod.

Please have your facts straight before flaming my post, or PM me if you are in doubt, Geeshhhh!!!!

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 09-18-03, 05:10 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

BTW, that's what is being done to my personal car, not just the supercharger kit.

Ryan
Old 09-18-03, 05:43 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Another thought:

If one simply adds nothing but the Supercharger Kit to a stock SC400 (No Flash ECU, no other mods), the expected HP gain to the crank is approximately 105 HP. Remember, the HP alone is not the only thing that determines speed and quickness. Torque is critical as well. I am not going to re-hash this in this thread, as it was already written about in this thread. This will be very reliable and quick gains. My personal car is getting much more...

In mine and many other's opinions (not all by far), this is one of the best and safest, most reliable mods to start upping the power of the 1UZ-FE.

I will also be upping the boost and adding high quality methanol injection for cooling. This will bring about even more HP and Torque. One step at a time. When I am done, it will be a V8 beast that is reliable and perfectly balanced to be driven in a mid mannered fashion, or a viscious monster.

It takes time, R&D, lot's of money, patience, and smarts to build a powerful and reliable V8.

For those that have a V8, and want that power, that is what they have to do. Gee whiz, look at what iot costs to get the SRT V8 GS400 to monstrous power?

Any properly tuned and built engine takes much to bring out its potential. And, the more the cylinders, the more the work, parts and dollars to make it happen.

Ryan

Old 09-18-03, 05:53 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

sounds good, when are you expected to complete your project? Are you going to run strait methanol, or a water/methanol mix?

I wish there were some of these options avalible when i had my 400

I didnt mean to flame, i just didnt see how you were going to get 525hp on a supercharger kit running 5-6 psi.

What are you doing to the heads?
pistons?

Quick Reply: SuperCharger Kit and New Mods- Excitement!!!