Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Issues with 12v mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 02:57 PM
RidgeRider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with 12v mod

Hi guys, I hate to have to ask for help as my first post on the site but I suppose it is what it is.

I bought a 1994 Lexus Sc300(non-VVTi) the other day and had no real issues driving it. However once I had shut it off it had issues with starting back up. It would turn over but not achieve ignition which I attributed to the 12V mod that was done to it.

I called the previous owner who had me unplug and then, in a certain order, reconnect the plugs leading to the fuel pump. It started up with a little bit of gas. However, yesterday when I went to go leave for work it wouldn’t start up and I didn’t hear the fuel pump working even after disconnecting and reconnecting the wires.

It has a relatively new ecu that had been swapped in so I’m inclined to believe it has something to do with the wiring done in the bypass as opposed to an issue with the ecu itself. I checked the connections to ensure they weren’t frayed or dirty and all seemed fine.

I’m kind of at a loss though and unfortunately this car is my daily driver so I need to get it functioning as soon as I can. I absolutely love this car though and look forward to being able to post some build stuff when I get the money and time to do so.

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 02-13-19, 08:39 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummer Aaron. Can you give us more details as to how the bypass is wired up? A diagram or some pictures would be helpful. Unfortunately with the information you provided it gives us symptoms but we dont know how the pump ecu was bypassed or if it was done correctly. Have you tried checking the voltage to the wires of the fuel pump or at least to the bypass?
Old 02-13-19, 09:07 AM
RidgeRider
Driver School Candidate

With my current schedule I unfortunately haven't had the time. I'm at school at the moment but I can try to get out to check the voltage when I get back home. I'll also try to grab some pictures then.

Thanks for the reply m8
Old 02-13-19, 11:58 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

put a paper clip in the 12V and FP pins in the ECU connector under the hood. You'll be jumping 12 volts to the fuel pump and it should at least give you a better idea what your fighting
Old 02-13-19, 02:56 PM
RidgeRider
Driver School Candidate

All good, I had a couple friends at a local shop look it over while I was at school today. Apparently something was up with the distributor, runs like a dream now. Thanks for all the advice and concern though everyone.
Old 02-14-19, 08:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice, nothing like having some friends who know cars!