Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine stalls soon after starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 04:36 PM
Hintonjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls soon after starting

I'm nothing more than a glorified parts changer. As such I would appreciate any experiences with a 1st gen (1993) SC400 that soon stalls after starting. The fuel pressure soon drops and the motor dies. I changed the fuel pump and no improvement. The manual indicate it could be air flow meter, cold start injector, idle air control control value, fuel pump control circuit.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-24-19, 08:11 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

fuel filter could be clogged, id start with the stuff that is messsing up, the fuel system
Old 02-24-19, 11:47 AM
GokaiRed
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar issue with my Z30. It would start and immediately die unless I was giving it gas, and when I was doing that it still ran like **** (pig rich, rough idle, not driveable at all). I did cap/rotor/wires/plugs and the 12v fuel pump mod to bypass the fuel pump ECU to no avail. I later learned that the main coil wire from my new set of wires I just purchased had a split in the casing causing it to arc off of the throttle body; I replaced it and she's been running ever since.

Maybe take the same steps if you haven't already? I imagine the cold start injector being faulty would give you a hard start problem on first crank after sitting overnight or something depending on where you live, but I would think it should still start and stay running.
Old 02-26-19, 07:09 PM
Hintonjr
Driver School Candidate

I changed the fuel filter last year. Over the weekend, we shorted the OMD1 terminals "D+" and "Fp" and the motor ran without stalling. As such, I have pulled the fuel pump control located behind the real panel in the backseat, part number 89570-24010. There are several controls on EBay for around $65 and I will check with Car-Quest.

Feel free to tell me not to waste more money and how to test the relay.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 03-03-19, 06:24 PM
Hintonjr
Driver School Candidate

I purchased another fuel pump control with a used one of Ebay. The promblem continues in that it will run only if you bypass the fuel relay. Does anyone know how to test the voltage or what readings I should see with my volt meter?

Bob
Old 03-04-19, 10:59 AM
GokaiRed
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I'm not much more than a glorified parts changer myself; but this thread might contain the information you're looking for, or at the very least point you in the right direction I think.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-starting.html