Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any W58 Experts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 01:01 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Any W58 Experts?

My W58 seized a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a tranny I bought from ebay. The seller said it was from a 83-86 Celica Supra Mk2. Since then, I've had no speedometer since the two speedos are different. The tranny came with no speed sensor. I found another speed sensor from a tranny that was suppose to have the same speed sensor. The problem I'm having is that the speedo gears that I have from both speed sensors are too small. You can barely see the gear that the speedo gear meshes with in the tranny through the sensor hole. I need a speedo gear that is almost the same diameter as the speed sensor case and both gears that I have(and also the pics of gears that I've looked up trying to find the right one) are not close to the right size.
Does anyone have a direction I could go in?
A guess at what I'm looking for?
I went to Toyota and they said without a VIN, they couldn't help.
Thanx for any help.
Old 02-25-19, 01:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

First off that MK2 Celica W58 is not as strong as the original W58 that came out of your SC300 5-speed. Sourcing another one (or rebuilding your old one) would be the best solution.

And unless you used the early W58/R154 aftermarket crossmember that CX Racing sells you no doubt you also would have encountered some minor additional issue modifying the bolt holes on the 1982-1985 Celica crossmember that came with the MK2 W58 and cutting it and extending it on one side with welded on plate steel since it is not wide enough as made by Toyota to fit the width of our SC trans tunnels.

To answer your speed sensor question, many of the available driven gears are still available for older Toyota manual cars (though some are discontinued depending on application) but it's a lot of identifying.

The much easier solution is to put the MK2 W58's original mechanical speedo drive (with the original gear) back into the transmission. Then buy a Marlin Crawler W-series 3-wire VSS sensor convertor either direct from Marlin Crawler or from Driftmotion. It screws right on. I use one on my '89 MKIII Supra R154. Same part. It works very well and plugs right into your SC300's engine harness VSS connector.

It would also help to know what the original final drive ratio was for the 1982-1985 Celica 5-speed your transmission came from. With that ratio in mind, get a Yellr Yellowbox V5 speedo corrector unit with their optional Plug-And-Play harness specifically for the SC300 and MKIV Supra.

I covered the DIY installation of the Yellowbox V4 model in these two thread posts. It is the same procedure for the installation of the V4 or V5 models into an SC300:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7250024
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7252535

The OEM Toyota/Lexus W58 3-wire speed sensor can be fitted to that MK2 W58 (I think) but as you found out, without the correct driven gear to go into it there will be no good installation.

The Marlin Crawler VSS adaptor is a solid tried and true solution that works for all the older Toyota mechanical speedo drive W-series and R-series manual transmissions.

Still the best thing to locate another SC300 or MKIV W58 but to use what you have currently this is what I suggest.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-19, 07:05 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

It didn't come with the speed sensor. I Looked up what kind of sensor was installed on Celica Supra W58's, removed one from a junked car and the speedo gear was as I explained. I did get the Marlin Crawler adapter already. So I'm ready to go, I just have to find this large speedo gear to mesh with the trans.