Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Flashing AC Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 04:51 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flashing AC Light

for the first time the other day as I was driving with the AC Off , my AC light started flashing .I can hit the AC button one time and the light will go out, but it will repeat at random, I haven't actually diagnose when it's coming on or how I'm driving causing it to come on but at any rate it is coming on at every drive. I done a little searching and narrowed it down to the compressor revolution sensor 88336-24030 or maybe a bad connection
Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated
AC is working
Greg

Last edited by Vitamin-SC; 04-14-19 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 06:02 AM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

check your alternator charging voltage. I vaguely recall the ac light does that when the alternator starts going out sometimes.
Old 04-14-19, 08:24 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
check your alternator charging voltage. I vaguely recall the ac light does that when the alternator starts going out sometimes.
I think your on to something ,because before this started my battery light came on and my alt output went south for a moment

thanks
Old 04-14-19, 02:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ Definitely check your alternator output/health. The safer failure of its voltage regulator is undercharging but the more serious failure of that regulator is overcharging which can also affect many things. Unless you have a hardwired voltmeter gauge installed or an inexpensive plug-in LED voltmeter in the cigarette/DC 12V outlet it's not going to be apparent if this is happening. Your battery charging light coming on at the same time you have your A/C light flashing is suspect.

Also, pull codes from the A/C controller. With the car off, hold down the "Push-Auto-Temp" **** and "Recirculate" button at the same time and put the key into the "ON" position (starting the car isn't necessary for this).

You will hear a series of rhythmic beeps and flashes of the A/C controller's LCD panel. If any error codes are present they will flash in front of you with a number representation. These codes are not the same as your Check Engine CEL codes-- the A/C controller error codes are their own thing.

A chart of the possible codes is in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eed-codes.html

Just to rule it out, A/C Code 21 (Solar Sensor) is almost certain to show up at dusk, at night or in any enclosed garage where the Solar Sensor will not receive direct sunlight. A high powered flashlight is probably enough to give that sensor what it wants to see as a test, fyi. I digress... just mentioning this to say you can disregard it 99% of the time (unless your Solar Sensor really has gone bad... which it almost never does).

If the alternator is in good working order following testing so that it has been ruled out then the A/C Code test should point you to or close to the issue in the system.
Old 04-14-19, 04:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Check your plug-in relay for the A/C Magnetic Clutch. A flashing A/C light on the dash is what happens on a 2002 - 2011 Toyota when the plug-in type relay (located in one of the fuse compartments) needs to be replaced due to pitted contacts or a failing coil. This may be the way the SC 1st Gen reacts also when the A/C Magnetic Clutch relay needs to be replaced. You can test it by swapping relays (there will be multiple relays), or by replacing the relay with a new one for ~$15.00. The relay is very common and available at any car parts store like NAPA, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, etc.

Reading THIS multiple page thread from a Toyota forum may help.

This video shows you what the A/C Magnetic Clutch relay looks like and how easy it is to replace.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-14-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 05:08 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

probably going to do the alternator test & pull AC trouble codes tomorrow as a start
And post results
Old 04-17-19, 08:57 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Definitely check your alternator output/health. The safer failure of its voltage regulator is undercharging but the more serious failure of that regulator is overcharging which can also affect many things. Unless you have a hardwired voltmeter gauge installed or an inexpensive plug-in LED voltmeter in the cigarette/DC 12V outlet it's not going to be apparent if this is happening. Your battery charging light coming on at the same time you have your A/C light flashing is suspect.

Also, pull codes from the A/C controller. With the car off, hold down the "Push-Auto-Temp" **** and "Recirculate" button at the same time and put the key into the "ON" position (starting the car isn't necessary for this).

You will hear a series of rhythmic beeps and flashes of the A/C controller's LCD panel. If any error codes are present they will flash in front of you with a number representation. These codes are not the same as your Check Engine CEL codes-- the A/C controller error codes are their own thing

A chart of the possible codes is in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eed-codes.html

Just to rule it out, A/C Code 21 (Solar Sensor) is almost certain to show up at dusk, at night or in any enclosed garage where the Solar Sensor will not receive direct sunlight. A high powered flashlight is probably enough to give that sensor what it wants to see as a test, fyi. I digress... just mentioning this to say you can disregard it 99% of the time (unless your Solar Sensor really has gone bad... which it almost never does).

If the alternator is in good working order following testing so that it has been ruled out then the A/C Code test should point you to or close to the issue in the system.

Battery test 12.5 at rest not started in 3 days 13.9 car running at reving@ 1000rpm AC Diagnostic test done inside

code 21 & 42

21 no cercern because im in garage other is servo motor/ vent door

Ive decided to ad the voltmeter so when it occurs again I have some indication .

Last edited by Vitamin-SC; 04-17-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 09:56 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Default Test results

double post delete

Last edited by Vitamin-SC; 04-18-19 at 06:33 PM.