Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Arrrgh.. is it my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 06:49 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Arrrgh.. is it my starter?

Help, I think something's wrong with my starter.

Remember that post where I mentioned that it was taking something like a microsecond longer for my car to start up when it's cold?

Well the problem has just gotten worse.

As I was starting up my car this morning, the car started up okay but I heard this sharp pitch noise from the starter. This noise is exactly the same as the noise from the starter if you start your engine but keep on cranking the starter.

Does anyone know why this happened? I mean, if the engine doesn't start, fine, at least the starter can keep on cranking. If the engine starts, it starts. Why does the starter make such noise even when I wasn't even over cranking it?

This problem is more likely to happen when my car's cold.

Could anyone please help me out? It's kinda weird to start my car every morning, followed by that high pitch noise because it seems as if I was driving a Pinto from the 70s.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 08-12-03, 07:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Actually the Lexus will crank itself. So i'm not sure why you would "overcrank it" to begin with.

try this test.... go out and "bump" the starter. it should continue to attempt starting the car until it starts or "X" amount of seconds pass in which it will stop.

I figured it out by accident one day. I lost my grip on the key and it slipped out of my grasp and the car continued to turn the starter over, then release it. I've did it every since. I just bump the starter and let the car start itself. Yours should do the same thing. Do this first, then we can determine if it is functioning properly.
Old 08-12-03, 08:26 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

You're exactly right.

However, my problem has to do with something else. My car starts up okay. There's nothing wrong with the way it gets started.

However, when the car starts up, I can hear this loud, high pitched grinding noise from my starter. The noise is exactly like if you get a Non Lexus, over crank the starter (with the engine running).

Any idea?

Jon

Originally posted by onelasttry
Actually the Lexus will crank itself. So i'm not sure why you would "overcrank it" to begin with.

try this test.... go out and "bump" the starter. it should continue to attempt starting the car until it starts or "X" amount of seconds pass in which it will stop.

I figured it out by accident one day. I lost my grip on the key and it slipped out of my grasp and the car continued to turn the starter over, then release it. I've did it every since. I just bump the starter and let the car start itself. Yours should do the same thing. Do this first, then we can determine if it is functioning properly.
Old 08-12-03, 08:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

the starter is suppose to sense the car starting and release, it sounds like the arm is not releasing completely at first and grinding. i'd say it needs to be rebuilt so the arm can slide smoothly, but if it doesnt grind badly and just barely catches, you may be able to neglect it for a bit.

secondly, there may be a sensor that controls it. wish i knew
Old 08-12-03, 08:38 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks onelasttry!

It's definitely a good start for me by knowing what might've caused this problem.

Well, if it's not going to affect my engine in any serious way other than producing this nasty noise, I guess I'll just live with it for now.

Thanks again.

Jon

Originally posted by onelasttry
the starter is suppose to sense the car starting and release, it sounds like the arm is not releasing completely at first and grinding. i'd say it needs to be rebuilt so the arm can slide smoothly, but if it doesnt grind badly and just barely catches, you may be able to neglect it for a bit.

secondly, there may be a sensor that controls it. wish i knew
Old 08-13-03, 10:51 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Update.

I tried to duplicate what I did yesterday and start up the car when it's cold this morning. This time I could clearly hear the "high pitch/grinding noise" when the starter was cranking (just before the engine started).

The car still started up normally and no warning light on the dash came on at all.

Could this be an indicating that my starter's going to die on me? Help.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the starter? Labor?

Thanks again.

Jon
Old 08-13-03, 11:20 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Baby ///M3,
Sounds like your starter solenoid is not disengaging the starter pinion. Could be the solenoid is not functioning correctly (electrical) or the pinion shaft is not operating smoothly (mechanical).
Figure ~$300 for the starter, ~$100 for the intake plenum/manifold gaskets and 6-8hours labor @$70-80/hr so ~ $800-1200 for a new starter parts and labor from the Stealer. A member replaced the his starter and did a write-up on the procedure, ( do a search for it ) if you are mechanically inclined then save on the labor cost and do it yourself as well as getting the parts wholesale from Carson Toyota or other online dealers.
Personally I would replace the starter ASAP as when it's grinding.... something is being ground down. Usually it's the pinion, which will leave a mess of copper shavings when you pull the starter or it could affect the flywheel which requires dropping the tranny to replace. So do it before your flywheel dies.
I would also replace/internally clean the cold start valve while you are at it.

Onelasttry,
"Bump start" doesn't work for me? As soon as I let go, the starter stops. I can hold the starter for over 1 sec or so and it will continue to turn but just "bumping" does not work.

Last edited by Nick T; 08-13-03 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 11:47 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

On second thought, could this be ignition related problem?

In other words, I am guessing that something may be wrong with the little wires in the ignition switch. The reason why I am saying this is that if I just turn the key very gently without applying too much force, the problem would not be too apparent.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Originally posted by Nick T
Baby ///M3,
Sounds like your starter solenoid is not disengaging the starter pinion. Could be the solenoid is not functioning correctly (electrical) or the pinion shaft is not operating smoothly (mechanical).
Figure ~$300 for the starter, ~$100 for the intake plenum/manifold gaskets and 6-8hours labor @$70-80/hr so ~ $800-1200 for a new starter parts and labor from the Stealer. A member replaced the his starter and did a write-up on the procedure, ( do a search for it ) if you are mechanically inclined then save on the labor cost and do it yourself as well as getting the parts wholesale from Carson Toyota or other online dealers.
Personally I would replace the starter ASAP as when it's grinding.... something is being ground down. Usually it's the pinion, which will leave a mess of copper shavings when you pull the starter or it could affect the flywheel which requires dropping the tranny to replace. So do it before your flywheel dies.
I would also replace/internally clean the cold start valve while you are at it.

Onelasttry,
"Bump start" doesn't work for me? As soon as I let go, the starter stops. I can hold the starter for over 1 sec or so and it will continue to turn but just "bumping" does not work.
Old 12-02-23, 03:53 PM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what model of Lexus you have but there are several videos on YouTube on how to replace the starter. You do it from under the engine rather than above which is what Lexus wants to do. That requires removing the exhaust manifold since the starter is under that part of the engine. Even if you could clean the solenoid and shaft that the gears run on you might just be better off getting a new starter. If you can't do it yourself then it will cost lots of $$$. Lexus dealership will be worse. Find a mechanic who knows how to remove it from under the engine bay.