Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Door locks not working/Rattling noise sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 07:04 PM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Door locks not working/Rattling noise sometimes

Hi All,
I am having some trouble diagnosing some of the issues with my 1996 SC300. First, The power door locks do not work. I have checked the dome fuse and replaced the door lock actuators and It has not solved the problem, all of the connections have been checked as well during installation. I also can no longer get the driver's side door panel off because the shop glued the panel to the back part because it was cracked. I can hear a click for unlock however I don't hear a click for lock. Second, I am sometimes getting a vibrating rattling noise at idle or at around 2000rpm. Any Ideas? other than that the car is in pretty good condition for 197,500 miles. I recently bought a key fob and my main concern is making sure that I can lock and arm the alarm as I really don't want anybody taking my car and me not hearing it in the middle of the night.

Thanks!
RDAK96
Old 07-25-19, 06:54 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Take it back to whoever glued the door on and tell them they owe you a door.....

Then id say take it to one of the places that hooks up aftermarket alarms and pay the 199 or whatever for them to do it.

Just from your description you don't sound mechanically inclined. We have no idea where your rattle is coming from unless you give us some general direction. Vibration and rattling on a car with 200k isnt going to be anything we just have a magic cure for. Listen for where its coming from when it happens or take it to someone who can.

As for the door locks they have a fuse that controls them too besides the dome there is a 30amp door fuse. Heres the schematic
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sc400wirelessdoorlocks7_2.pdf (63.5 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by scsexy; 07-25-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 09:07 AM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Thanks scsexy ...will check the fuses today. The rattling noise is coming from the front of the car and also sometimes happens when the engine goes just below idle or if I turn the ac on. Usually it happens when I go up or down a small incline like my driveway or a steep hill if I'm in the mountains. I will figure out some way to post a video so that you would be able to view.

Thanks Again!
RDAK96
Old 07-26-19, 09:08 AM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scsexy
Take it back to whoever glued the door on and tell them they owe you a door.....

Then id say take it to one of the places that hooks up aftermarket alarms and pay the 199 or whatever for them to do it.

Just from your description you don't sound mechanically inclined. We have no idea where your rattle is coming from unless you give us some general direction. Vibration and rattling on a car with 200k isnt going to be anything we just have a magic cure for. Listen for where its coming from when it happens or take it to someone who can.

As for the door locks they have a fuse that controls them too besides the dome there is a 30amp door fuse. Heres the schematic
Thanks scsexy ...will check the fuses today. The rattling noise is coming from the front of the car and also sometimes happens when the engine goes just below idle or if I turn the ac on. Usually, it happens when I go up or down a small incline like my driveway or a steep hill if I'm in the mountains. I will figure out some way to post a video so that you would be able to view.

Thanks Again!
RDAK96
Old 07-28-19, 09:39 AM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Checked the fuses yesterday and for some reason, I cannot find a way to remove the 30A Door Fuse with any fuse puller tool and therefore cannot check it out. The 10A Guage fuse is fine.
Old 08-12-19, 07:35 PM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Update: Still having trouble with door locks. Cannot replace the door as it is a black interior and is way too expensive to replace. Checked the switches, fuses (except 30A Door Fuse), and have already replaced the door lock actuator on the passenger side because the door was stuck shut but that isn't working so I think that its something other than the actuators. HELP!!!

Thank you all,
RDAK96