Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How bad do I need a timing belt change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 07:23 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts
Default How bad do I need a timing belt change?

So I got Zero help in P & M after a week
maybe someone out here in the general population has a clue:

I did a quick search in the forum and didn't come up w much, probably because I'm not a techie. But I am a driver. I drive the hell out of my SC. Its a 92 400. Its a daily driver, its been a daily driver all it's life. I've done two 3000 mile trips here in the western deserts this past year
This is the motor today and what it has always looked like

"The Purple-Bullet"
the last timing belt change was 188,000miles. Today its 288,000miles the change was done in 2008

thanks, Barbary
Old 09-20-19, 08:17 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

They say every 90k timing belt and water pump but on the v8 I feel like 120k intervals is pretty safe if you are doing waterpump also.
That being said, lots of people go almost 200k on a timing belt, they will usually last but it's the waterpump that goes sooner or later and can cause overheating which is not fun.
I'd say look to do it in the next 20-40k. pop off the cover and have a look at the belt if you would like due to age, but usually they hold up well.
Oh and nice engine bay, looks super clean!
The following 3 users liked this post by Ali SC3:
Barbary (09-20-19), KahnBB6 (09-20-19), RudysSC (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 09:49 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Personally, I'm almost more concerned with time/age and climate than a plain mileage rating. However, Ali is absolutely right. These timing belts last FOREVER. I just did my second timing belt job on my '03 Tacoma and after ten years the belt looked nearly new. HOWEVER, the tensioner did squeak some, and I, of course, changed that, the water pump, thermostat, etc, etc.

I'd almost be more concerned about the tensioner and whatnot than the belt. Pull the covers, check the belt, and if it looks nice without any cracks or dry areas then keep cruising it. But personally, with 100k miles on it and it being nearly 12 years old, I'd go ahead with a TB/WP job to keep your mind free of any concerns.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 02:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah, you'll be surprised how long they last especially with the right climate. Some of those low mileage mk4 supras are still on the original timing belt and waterpump etc.. after 20+ years.
And some sc400/ls400 owners just don't do the timing belt cause its an old car or they think the v8 is a chain... and it seems like those motors just keep on going until the waterpump fails.
The tensioner and rollers can get weaker over time and make noise, but they usually last a long time. I always replace them or have them replaced while in there, basically do the full job.

Throw a flashlight on your waterpump and see if there is any coolant weeping out below it, will start as a couple small drips at first. That is always a sign you need to do it soon.
Barbary (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 05:59 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks guys;
exactly the advice I was looking for
Looks like I can go on it for a few more yrs, and breath easy
The cars been garaged for at least the last 20 yrs. I live in San Francisco where the temp is basically 60 yr round
So I'll start looking at a belt when the water pump starts leaking. I basically haven't had any engine compartment fluid leaks in the whole time except once a valve gasket and I've had so many oil changes that the oil bolt is stripped

I can tell you, after a quarter million miles I decided to change the spark plugs, just because. The old plugs looked pretty much new! Amazing cars!
I think they really built these early ones

Once again, thanks guys, much appreciated______Barbary
Old 09-23-19, 06:16 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

92 is non interference too so even if it breaks you'll just be stranded and need a tow, nothing catastrophic.
Barbary (09-23-19)
Old 09-23-19, 03:49 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldManTan
92 is non interference too so even if it breaks you'll just be stranded and need a tow, nothing catastrophic.
"oldMan": this is the best to know. I didn't even know that. I wish I had known that since I got the car. I got it from family, don't think they knew. Don't think they had a clue of what the car really was. I didn't have a clue. It just fell into my lap and its stayed there ever since. All I ever new was the "Real" muscle cars and Corvette's

Ali; see you got a Vette'. Must be real nice one. I had a 69 "T" top w the pop out back window, only I never called it "Sting Ray" which was its real name but always called it "Mako Shark", Ioved the body style, mine still had that tight front chrome bumper, although I've seen some pan the style . Of course my 1st choice always would be the "63 split window". It was a pretty typical for its time, British racing green, saddle interior. 350/350.

Drove it from the George Washington bridge to the Golden Gate bridge. Thats how I got out here after the Air Force.
found this pic of it, on that trip somewhere in Utah

I never run into Club members here in SF, the land of the Prius and Uber and the shop guys only give me the standard lines. Thats too bad; driving "the Bullet" here on the Pacific Coast Hwy around Santa Cruz / Half Moon Bay is about the best thing I can think to do (almost)
Old 09-24-19, 08:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Barbary, that's a beautiful Mako! I always wanted a '69 427 but as you know they are hard to find/afford.
Do love the British racing green, somehow the green looks great on these corvettes and when I was looking for one I had no idea until I saw mine and that was that.

Mine started out as a '71 350 w/Th400 in Brands hatch green with the green interior. Over the years the interior was swapped out for a black one and the engine was changed for another 350 with some mods.
Since the engine was not matching (and interior), I decided to swap it to a 6 speed manual T56 to make it more fun to drive since it lost a little originality, and I don't like automatics on my fun cars.
I can say that the car feels right now as a manual (having 2 overdrives is nice also), it was clunky and awkward to me with the auto. I think the car appreciates me bringing it back to solid cruising duty.

Old school and older school
Barbary (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 10:08 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Yeh Ali, owning a Vette is like owning a piece of "Americana" Especially one of the early ones
All the Best, from one Vette owner to another
Ali SC3 (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 09:57 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Just another testament to how truly awesome and underappreciated these early Lexus' are. Always a pleasure to hear how much you enjoy your car Barbary!
Barbary (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 01:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Barbary
Yeh Ali, owning a Vette is like owning a piece of "Americana" Especially one of the early ones
All the Best, from one Vette owner to another
Couldn't agree more, it holds alot more sentimental value to me than any other car I have owned.
All the best to you too!! Oh, and I do dig the purple but I would have gone RSP
Barbary (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 06:57 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Just another testament to how truly awesome and underappreciated these early Lexus' are. Always a pleasure to hear how much you enjoy your car Barbary!
Yeh Rudy, thats exactly the word. I really "appreciate" this awesome car and over the many years together even Love it🥰. I don't think there's another production car w the mechanics that 30 yrs later hold up as well. We're talking: Major Solid! Can't remember how many, to this day have come up and asked me to sell it to them. Get comps and stares all the time

Is this a pretty car or what? It's a daily driver! and its not afraid to "run", go up in any mountain, cross any desert. It loves to run! Thats the Awesome part

I've owned quite a few cars. Thats how I know How good this one is and why I've stayed w it
Yancy (10-17-19)
Old 09-25-19, 07:47 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Couldn't agree more, it holds alot more sentimental value to me than any other car I have owned.
All the best to you too!! Oh, and I do dig the purple but I would have gone RSP
I really like what you said. I totally relate w the Bullet!

Me and "The Bullet" have been together so long that when I'm out there in the middle of no where, just because I like driving it. Me and it are "1". Another way of putting it "I get in the ZONE" w it. Thats how used to it I am, how comfortable and trusting the relationship is. I depend on it as as much as it does on me. It has never left me stranded on the side of the road, or broken down anywhere

I think we may be in a same place only expressing it differently

Another part might be, the longer we run together, the more it appreciates being w me, and I appreciate it, doing what it was meant to do, and not in a dismantlers yard. I don't really know another explanation how we've lasted this long, this well 💜